A couple of 6 core questions

Hi everybody.

Does anyone know if there will be a 6 core version of the Devil's Canyon processor?

That would be ideal for a new rig that I am dreaming and scheming about.

My fall back options are the 3930K or 4930K, and my second question is why does New Egg sell the 3930K for $20 less than the 4930K?

Hi everybody.

Does anyone know if there will be a 6 core version of the Devil's Canyon processor?

My fall back options are the 3930K or 4930K, and my second question is why does New Egg sell the 3930K for $20 less than the 4930K?

Haswell-E is on its way. There will be 2 6 core CPUs and 1 8 core.

Core i7-5820K 6 / 12 3.3 GHz 15 MB DDR4-2133 140W

Core i7-5930K 6 / 12 3.5 GHz 15 MB DDR4-2133 140W

Core i7-5960X 8 / 16 3 GHz 20 MB DDR4-2133 140W

Is there an estimated time of arrival on these?

September

Haswell-E is on its way. There will be 2 6 core CPUs and 1 8 core.

Core i7-5930K 6 / 12 3.5 GHz 15 MB DDR4-2133 140W

Core i7-5960X 8 / 16 3 GHz 20 MB DDR4-2133 140W

Remember these are not on the lga1150 platform. There will not be a 6 core /12 threaded processor for that platform.

Hi everybody.

No, there won't be. Your only 6 core and above options will be on the enthusiast platforms (X79 and X99). X79 is current gen, X99 is next gen (i7-5xxx).

3930K is previous generation based on Sandy Bridge 32 nm process. 4930K is current generation based on Ivy Bridge 22 nm process. 4930K has slightly higher IPC and significantly lower power consumption.

Hi Tsumi.

I understand what they are, that's why it's mystifying that the newer faster cooler version is $20 cheaper.

I ended up buying the 32 nm version of the 4 core processor instead of the 22nm because of an article here on [H] that showed the 32 nm chips were a little more stable to overclocking.

The end result of that was a rock solid 4.3 GHz with a $35 air cooler (Arctic Freezer 13).

Why is the TDP back up to 140watt .. Westmere dropped first gen down to 95watt for 32nm

Why is the TDP back up to 140watt

One reason I suspect that these are 8 core / 16 threaded processors with 2 cores disabled.

Westmere dropped first gen down to 95watt for 32nm

The 22nm process does not provide a large benefit as you approach 4GHz

Last edited:
It seems that these new Haswell-E chips are based on a LGA 2011 socket, so will we be able to use them with dual socket motherboards like this one?

No you will need xeon E5-2XXX or E5-4XXX versions for more than 1 cpu support. Desktop processors or E5-1XXX cpus will not work in a more than 1 cpu config. Also its a different lga2011 socket than currently exists.

It would have been nice if they called it LGA 2014 or something.

After a little more poking around I really don't see much of an advantage of these Haswell-E chips over the 3930K, especially if they are both overclocked to a reasonable thermal limit.

Is it just the compatibility with DDR4, or am I missing something?

I believe they will call the new socket LGA 2011-3. Although they probably should have added or subtracted a few pins to avoid confusion.

Is it just the compatibility with DDR4, or am I missing something?

DDR4 requires more pins per dimm and is not compatible with DDR3.

Last edited:
Why is the TDP back up to 140watt .. Westmere dropped first gen down to 95watt for 32nm

Platform consistency is probably one reason. By rating all processors with a minimum of 140w TDP, all motherboards must be capable of handling at least 140w, and all cooling solutions should be capable of handling 140w, regardless of whether or not they require 140w or not.

No, there won't be. Your only 6 core and above options will be on the enthusiast platforms (X79 and X99). X79 is current gen, X99 is next gen (i7-5xxx).

Actually X58/ LGA 1366 has 6 core options, and the top enthusiast solution is still EVGA SR-2 and two hexacore Xeons overclocked.
Nothing on the horizon comes close to the aging SR2.:mad:

Actually X58/ LGA 1366 has 6 core options, and the top enthusiast solution is still EVGA SR-2 and two hexacore Xeons overclocked.

8 years of no competition for the enthusiast platform does that.

Hi Geok1ng.

I thought about the dual processor Xeon option, but the base clocks are a little over 2 GHz, and the "Turbo" is listed at 2.5GHz

Are 2 of those really better than a single 4930k clocked up to 4.4 GHz?

I thought the point of those server chips and boards is to push data over the internet, so they are not optimized for cranking out FLOPS like the gamer stuff is.

I thought about the dual processor Xeon option, but the base clocks are a little over 2 GHz, and the "Turbo" is listed at 2.5GHz

If you are talking about lga1366 overclocking helps that.

For nearly all desktop applications (well except video processing) and all games No. The 4930K would be better than the a dual processor 4 or 6 core xeon.

DDR4 is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Early adopter tax.

I ignored them because they aren't current gen :p

Hi Geok1ng.

I thought the point of those server chips and boards is to push data over the internet, so they are not optimized for cranking out FLOPS like the gamer stuff is.

These processors are identical to the i7 980x and other Westmere processors. The difference is that they can work in 2P configurations. In addition, these can be overclocked through the BCLK, and it is not uncommon for them to hit 4.2+ ghz. However, you will need some good cooling, and for general gaming stuff, a 4.5 ghz 4-core Haswell i5 will be superior to the overclocked dual Xeons.

Extra Cache, bigger memory controller, PCIe Lanes/bw, probably more in there but that's just off the top of my head.

Intel over estimates their TDP by quite a large margin too, most of their 95w CPU's rarely hit 80w's.

Extra Cache, bigger memory controller, PCIe Lanes/bw, probably more in there but that's just off the top of my head.

Intel over estimates their TDP by quite a large margin too, most of their 95w CPU's rarely hit 80w's.

Oh yeah, that too. The x58 northbridge had a TDP of something like 40 watts if I remember correctly. The northbridge for x79 is on the CPU. And quad vs triple channel.

This also leaves more room to bin. I mean Intel can bump the voltage a bit on some cpus that would have to be thrown away if they had a lower TDP guaranty.

Apparently this particular CPU will have reduced PCI-e lanes in that it will only have a total of x16,x8 and x4 available, given most people usually run multiple video cards in a S2011 system then this may present a few problems and so the more expensive 5930K would be a better option in that case, on the other hand if graphics performance is not an issue and you just need more than 4 cores then this 6 core CPU is going to be relatively cheap compared to everthing else out there even at a reputed $100.00 price premium to the 4820K.

Cheers

If rumors are true, upcoming 58x/59xx haswell-E will have lower OC headroom and much lower maximum OC frequency than current parts. if all you need is gaming, go 4790k.

About how good SR2 dual Xeons is for gaming today, 2 images:
1293839528CCXLXmKatJ_4_1.png

13699512002EJDRUCKjN_5_1_l.png

Considering the above, i pretty much doubt one could find a single gaming scenario where a user could found any in-game benefit of choosing a Haswell-E over a couple of X56xx inside an SR-2.

Considering the above, i pretty much doubt one could find a single gaming scenario where a user could found any in-game benefit of choosing a Haswell-E over a couple of X56xx inside an SR-2.
Yeah those xeon's are extending the life of a lot of peoples systems...like mine ;)

This also leaves more room to bin. I mean Intel can bump the voltage a bit on some cpus that would have to be thrown away if they had a lower TDP guaranty.

That's one of the many advantages of owning your own fabs and that's having a lot more control over your own product/bin.

140W is a pig and I thought 80W Xeons were bad. They were ramping up and down the system fans with no load so had to put them to the grave. Intel should remove some of the less needed FPUs to get TDP under control.

A Haswell-E 6 core with 32GB of DDR4 and a GTX 880/880 Ti 8GB stuffed in one of those Corsair Graphite 380T cases would be sick as hell. Drop in a simple Corsair watercooler and you will be all set.

Thanks for all the great information, but the need for instant gratification won in the end.

New Egg has the 4930K on sale for $549 and my attempt at resistance was futile.

If rumors are true, upcoming 58x/59xx haswell-E will have lower OC headroom and much lower maximum OC frequency than current parts. if all you need is gaming, go 4790k.

Haswell chips aren't great OCers to begin with so that wont surprise me. Regardless, I'm sure extra lanes, and cores will be a noticable increased over the 4790k and 4930k.

A Haswell-E 6 core with 32GB of DDR4 and a GTX 880/880 Ti 8GB stuffed in one of those Corsair Graphite 380T cases would be sick as hell. Drop in a simple Corsair watercooler and you will be all set.

That's what I'm hoping to upgrade to. After I get a pair of the PG278Q.

Thanks for all the great information, but the need for instant gratification won in the end.

New Egg has the 4930K on sale for $549 and my attempt at resistance was futile.

Doh. Do you have a Micro Center near you? You probably could have gotten a much much better deal.

140W is a pig and I thought 80W Xeons were bad. They were ramping up and down the system fans with no load so had to put them to the grave. Intel should remove some of the less needed FPUs to get TDP under control.

TDP is just a maximum rating. Designing something to withstand more wattage through it does not affect how much power it will use. It would make sense to keep power consumption under control, but not TDP.

Micro Center?
Maybe I missed it because it's so small.

Do you think this is a good choice of mother board to stick it in?
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=lga_2011_motherboard-_-13-128-532-_-Product

It is a small chain, with exceptional CPU deals, but in-store only. They only have something like 10 or 15 stores nationwide.

I personally would never get an x79 board with only 4 RAM slots. Pick between the ASRock X79 Extreme6, Asus P9X79 LE, Gigabyte X79-UP4, and the MSI X79A-GD45 Plus.

If you feel like comparing many generatiosn of gaming CPUs, visit TH chart

It's still hard to compare if you look at clockspeeds of say i7-920/930 vs current which some of there performance is base off higher clock speeds then 1st gen i7's..

My Xeon X5660 is base off of the i7-930 from the stock clockspeeds but seem to overclock on stock voltage from it base clock speed as cpu-s reports 3.7Ghz on 1.2v

It's still hard to compare if you look at clockspeeds of say i7-920/930 vs current which some of there performance is base off higher clock speeds then 1st gen i7's..

My Xeon X5660 is base off of the i7-930 from the stock clockspeeds but seem to overclock on stock voltage from it base clock speed as cpu-s reports 3.7Ghz on 1.2v

Turbo bins are indeed a key feature of LGA1366 as very few people manage bclk>200 on 24x7 settings. I have heard of users that set the multiplier low, like 13x, even undervolting, and leave turbo ON, with a turbo voltage pretty high, So instead of having a base clock of 4.2 with turbo of 4.4, it would have a base clock of 2.6GHz , but still turbo at 4.4GHz.:cool:

what i meant when i made the 1366 apology is that for gaming, at the same clock, i7-980x has a frame advantage over 2600k greater than Haswell has over 2600k.

Your right as my X5660 has a very wide turbo clock as i'm running 163 x 23 now and it turbo's to 3.7Ghz.

Back