Video Game Addicts May Be Exempt From Military Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hang on for a second. Wouldn't these be the people you'd actually want to have in the military? You know, the spawn camping chairborne rangers that are tactical experts at everything except talking to the opposite sex? :D

Local media recently highlighted a policy amendment made by South Korea’s Military Manpower Administration in 2010 exempting video game addicts their mandatory military service. South Korean men between the ages of 18 and 35 are required to perform military service.

This may be to protect their celebrity esports athletes from harm, since you can't dominate in Starcraft if you're dead from combat injuries.

In Germany, every pussy excuse you could think of to exempt themselves from mandatory military service has been used, and sadly with the liberals in power have been pat on the back and accepted. I just see this as more of the same, and now everyone is going ot say they are "addicted" so that they won't have to endure the hardship of basic training.

IMO, they should simply make it completely voluntary, but anyone that DOESN'T join has to wear a pink ribbon around their left arm from the age of 18-35 until they change their mind.

when i was entering the army at ft benning back in 89, one of the tests was to use a joystick to track something on a screen. having been a gamer, i did well and ended up firing missles, the dragon, while there

so yeah..

In Germany, every pussy excuse you could think of to exempt themselves from mandatory military service has been used, and sadly with the liberals in power have been pat on the back and accepted. I just see this as more of the same, and now everyone is going ot say they are "addicted" so that they won't have to endure the hardship of basic training.

IMO, they should simply make it completely voluntary, but anyone that DOESN'T join has to wear a pink ribbon around their left arm from the age of 18-35 until they change their mind.
This has nothing to do with being a "pussy", only with not wanting to be a slave.

You would think with Drones and more robots, gamers would be wanted more...

You would think with Drones and more robots, gamers would be wanted more...

That's my thinking. Maybe they just aren't as pro as ready as they want them to be? I have a buddy who's grandfather flew in Vietnam and he plays flying war games. Let's just say he dominates.

This has nothing to do with being a "pussy", only with not wanting to be a slave.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH.....Ah yes, who would want to serve, when you can live under the skirt of your government while sucking on its teat all safe and sound in your bed, while others keep you safe.

With drone use becoming more prominent you'd think they would want to recruit more gamers, not make them exempt.

I totally trust everything you've said here, especially given the fact that you aren't aware that Germany hasn't had mandatory military service since 2011.

when i was entering the army at ft benning back in 89, one of the tests was to use a joystick to track something on a screen. having been a gamer, i did well and ended up firing missles, the dragon, while there

so yeah..

Did you play Space Invaders?

When it comes to Germany, I think a lot of people around the world are perfectly happy with this situation.

Branding select members of the population...that has worked very well in the past.

You guys miss this part of the story?

CNET reported that exemption from military service can be granted if the person has "received six or more months of treatment for alcohol, drug, or video game addiction and has demonstrated ineptitude of carrying out normal duties."

The Military Manpower Administration, however, said that no-one has yet qualified for an exemption through video game addiction, according to the report

Koreans frequently try to get out of this service and unlike in Germany, usually fail. Even their young movie stars have to serve. There is one option that sometimes makes it easier to bare. The smarter ones who are better with English can serve as KATUSAs, (Korean Augmentation to the United States Army), which is considered pretty cushy compared to serving in the regular ROK military forces.

DrakonSan said:
I think the tried something like this once before and it didn't turn out so well.
Fine fine, well how about they have to stitch pink stars to their coats or wear different color shoes...
I totally trust everything you've said here, especially given the fact that you aren't aware that Germany hasn't had mandatory military service since 2011.
Wasn't aware of that, but I lived in Germany (I have German citizenship Mr Sarcasm), that's how I know from first hand experience... obviously not in the last three years though. That's pretty sad, but figures. As I said it was already going that direction where you could "morally object" for just about any BS reason thanks to the bleeding hearts.

As lcpiper indicated the operative word here is "addiction" ... alcohol and drug addicts suffer from both physical disabilities and mental elements ... at the risk of upsetting the mental health nazis from the gaming villians thread I would say that game addiction is a form of mental illness ... a regular everyday gamer is not in that category ;)

Fine fine, well how about they have to stitch pink stars to their coats or wear different color shoes...

Wasn't aware of that, but I lived in Germany (I have German citizenship Mr Sarcasm), that's how I know from first hand experience... obviously not in the last three years though. That's pretty sad, but figures. As I said it was already going that direction where you could "morally object" for just about any BS reason thanks to the bleeding hearts.

Just proves that anyone can get a citizenship these days. This isn't 'Murica where everyone gets all horny over the prospect of going to war. Nobody cares about having a massively inflated military in Europe anymore, there are more important issues to focus on.

Just proves that anyone can get a citizenship these days. This isn't 'Murica where everyone gets all horny over the prospect of going to war. Nobody cares about having a massively inflated military in Europe anymore, there are more important issues to focus on.
That's not what it was about at all, in fact its for the opposite reason.

You don't keep a large standing army, because all males have basic training if the country were to go to war, so your permanent volunteer army is tiny... or like Switzerland basically non-existent (they even require everyone to keep their military firearm locked at home).

This can save a ton of money, but the other great benefit is that:
1) It helps to discipline the young males, which are otherwise out usually up to no good out of boredom.
2) Teaches all boys how to endure mild hardship, so you slow the rate of pussification of your society.
3) Its a great equalizer, as the ultra rich 1%'ers and your ultra-poor government housing people are all in the same bootcamps intermixing, which otherwise may never have any exposure to each other. It also gives the ruling class a wakeup reminder that, hey, when you declare war on someone, you may be sending YOUR OWN KIDS to war, not just despensable poor kids that volunteered for the tuition help or lack of other job opportunities.

As usual, you assume two sort of silly things:

1) Anything to do with a vagina should have a negative connotation and adds value to your attempt at making an insulting rant.

2) Pink is a bad color for people.

I don't personally really like pink stuff, but it's not exactly a punishment to wear it and it's weird to think so. As far as the vagina is concerned, I think you might wanna consider talking that out with a head shrinker since it makes you seem pretty silly and that might hurt your chances of interacting with other people and getting somewhere in life if misunderstandings like this carry over into your day-to-day life.

1) It helps to discipline the young males, which are otherwise out usually up to no good out of boredom.
Do you have any actual data showing that young males are "usually up to no good out of boredom"?

2) Teaches all boys how to endure mild hardship, so you slow the rate of pussification of your society.
"Pussification" sounds like a good thing to me.

Do you have any actual data showing that young males are "usually up to no good out of boredom"?
This is a [H] post, not a wiki article. Source: Life experience + internet.

0108566.gif

Shows that young males are creating the most mischief. By age 21, the stats drastically drop.

It's Korea. Not a lot of Starcraft tech in the modern military.

YET. :)

Depends on the game, I guess. Basement dweller WoW players? I'd pass on them, as I doubt they could walk/run 100 yards. CoD/BF players? Sure. You know they get up and move around a bit and don't play for days at a time, or die from playing the game and not eating/drinking (that happened in Korea or China, I believe).

I know a guy who was discharged in part for being addicted to everquest.

As lcpiper indicated the operative word here is "addiction" ... alcohol and drug addicts suffer from both physical disabilities and mental elements ... at the risk of upsetting the mental health nazis from the gaming villians thread I would say that game addiction is a form of mental illness ... a regular everyday gamer is not in that category ;)

kbrickley and I agree, getting the wife pissed off because you put off mowing the lawn is not the same thing as this;

Parents 'were so immersed in fantasy video game world where their avatars married and had jobs they let real-life daughter, 2, nearly starve to death'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2455567/Parents-immersed-video-game-daughter-nearly-starved-death.html

or this;

‘Love Child’ Game Over: Internet Addicts Let Their Baby Starve to Death

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/21/love-child-game-over-internet-addicts-let-their-baby-starve-to-death.html

Ugh, nationalistic pride, physical fitness, and discipline. Terrible things that compulsory services forces on you, am I right?

We need that in the USA especially. In much more homogeneous countries (ethnically, economically, historically) there is already a shared background. I think a lot of our issues is that the US is so diverse that it's very easy to demonize one another (see: obamaphone, welfare queen, teabaggers, etc). A compulsory 1-year military service after high school would do a lot to put people from different walks of life together, as well as give the US a shared cultural experience that everyone can relate to.

And, since we have all the drones, the video game addicts would be welcome, too. ;)

Actually xIronCrossx, maybe you should do some more web-searching cause it isn't just the Russians building up their militaries.

For all the wrist-wringing and hair-pulling people do over America's Colonial Military Expansionism they really should spend a little more time watching those people everyone likes to hold up as the world's ideal role-models.

Those guys can't go 30 years without a throwdown right in their own back yards. At least we take our parties on the road :D

We need that in the USA especially. In much more homogeneous countries (ethnically, economically, historically) there is already a shared background. I think a lot of our issues is that the US is so diverse that it's very easy to demonize one another (see: obamaphone, welfare queen, teabaggers, etc). A compulsory 1-year military service after high school would do a lot to put people from different walks of life together, as well as give the US a shared cultural experience that everyone can relate to.

And, since we have all the drones, the video game addicts would be welcome, too. ;)

Completely agree with this. I'd even make it two years. I wish I'd been forced to do this at 18.

A compulsory 1-year military service after high school would do a lot to put people from different walks of life together, as well as give the US a shared cultural experience that everyone can relate to.

Agreed but we can't do it, at least not mainstream military service. Some guys spend more then a year just in training, it costs too much to put people in the military and the basic fact is, the US Military needs professionals, not amateurs.

But, there are other productive ways to serve your country, State, and even your city. There is some wiggle room for this.

I would think that we have a whole bunch of old folks and disabled people who could do with someone to come and mow the lawn, do some picking up around the place, etc. And when the bigger choirs are done there is always time for lemonade and cookies and a good chat. Would do folks on both sides some good.

I'll highlight the issue with the draft.

Out of the 4 million students who started school in 2006-2007, 3.1 million -- or 78.2 percent -- graduated with a regular or advanced diploma in the 2009-2010 school year.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/graduation-rate-record-high-school-students_n_2522128.html

in Contrast ....

We are accelerating the downsizing of the Army’s active component end-strength to [490,000] by FY15 instead of FY17
http://www.stripes.com/report-army-accelerating-cuts-reorganization-1.248253

It's the math, you can't rotate 3.1 million graduates through a 500,000 man force. Yes, this is only the Army, but the Army is the largest by far so at best the others triple this to 1.5 Million Active Duty Military. It just won't fit, not unless you get very creative on alternate methods of service.

This is a [H] post, not a wiki article. Source: Life experience + internet.
Ok so no you have no actual data to back this up.

[image]
Shows that young males are creating the most mischief. By age 21, the stats drastically drop.

Congrats on posting a bar graph without a title, or any indication on what it's representing, or even a source.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH.....Ah yes, who would want to serve, when you can live under the skirt of your government while sucking on its teat all safe and sound in your bed, while others keep you safe.

The government suckles off the people, not the other way around. On top of that government spending on the military is already too high and needs to be cut back. Less bombs, more humanitarianism.

As for keeping us safe, I'm pretty sure I keep myself safe, and we the people can keep ourselves safe without the government bombing any country that disagrees with our ways. Those people that died on 9/11 would still be here if the US wasn't always minding everyone else's business in the world.

Normally I dislike the idea of a military and serving in one....but in South Korea's case having a military is probably pretty important as North Korea is fucking crazy. And much like Africa and France South Korea might not provide enough services to the United Stats for us to help them out if NK wanted to start killing their southern brothers.

http://www.stripes.com/report-army-accelerating-cuts-reorganization-1.248253

It's the math, you can't rotate 3.1 million graduates through a 500,000 man force. Yes, this is only the Army, but the Army is the largest by far so at best the others triple this to 1.5 Million Active Duty Military. It just won't fit, not unless you get very creative on alternate methods of service.

Obviously, it would require some drastic changes. Again, as this is a year, maybe 2, it would be a scaled down training, and yes, I would agree there would need to be alternate methods of service. It would be basic training with PT, basic firearms handling, then more public service whether in the US or outside the US.

Back