Recommendations on a very good External case for 4 HDD's

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I want a nice steady Esata External case for 4 HDD's. I would like it to be nice and cool running, and possible Raid functionality as well.

Do you guys have any recommendations from what you have been using?

I recently just grabbed one of these.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=207&item_id=021484

I simply needed storage so I didn't have all my drives sitting in drawers, so I grabbed the cheap 2.0 but there is usb 3.0 and such also, there are a few different models.

Been rock solid so far, runs nice and cool, the auto fan is quiet, not silent, but nothing more than a whisper really.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, had it about a month now.

I recently just grabbed one of these.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=207&item_id=021484

I simply needed storage so I didn't have all my drives sitting in drawers, so I grabbed the cheap 2.0 but there is usb 3.0 and such also, there are a few different models.

Been rock solid so far, runs nice and cool, the auto fan is quiet, not silent, but nothing more than a whisper really.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, had it about a month now.

And you have had no connection issues or anything like that?

And you have had no connection issues or anything like that?

Nope, I'm just running it as usb 2.0. I can't imagine what connection issues there would be. It's been perfect, exactly what I needed for simple storage.

I've been generally happy with the USB 3.0 version of that Mediasonic enclosure that FM_Fixxxer linked. I have yet to put it into 24/7 use as I backed out of my mini-NAS with external enclosure idea, but the enclosure works well enough. The enclosure only handles hot swap (of individual drives) when plugged in via eSATA, should that matter to you.

Nope, I'm just running it as usb 2.0. I can't imagine what connection issues there would be. It's been perfect, exactly what I needed for simple storage.

Under USB mode does each drive show up as a separate USB drive over the one cable?

I've been running one of the RAID Mediasonic enclosures for about 2-3 years now. I've had mixed results with the unit. It's been replaced once because (1-2) years ago I turned off and moved it to another computer to share some large files and it basically eradicated my entire array. According to tech support it shouldn't have happened. They replaced it and have not had the issue happen since. Don't expect great performance but for casual use it is more than sufficient. I've been using some 2TB 5900RPM seagate drives in it and if I were to do it over I would use better drives. I've also been using the eSata port instead of USB because of the transfer speeds I experienced when I first hooked up with USB.

Back