Possible to drive a HP ZR30w at 2560x1600 using HDMI?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I have a HP ZR30W 30" and need a laptop that will allow me to run the monitor at native res. The ZR has a DVI and displayport, but not HDMI. It seems that most gaming/high-end laptops have HDMI out but not DVI or displayport. Is that correct?

I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a converter or something similar that allows an HDMI cable to connect to a DVI or displayport. Or that I can find a laptop that offers either output.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

The problem is that most HDMI outputs on laptops only go up to 1920x1200. So even if you could use an adapter, the laptop end will limit the resolution in most cases.

Thanks. That would be determined based upon the GPU in the card, right? For example, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX in one laptop I am thinking about (from a fellow HF member) can drive resolutions up to 2560x1600. It's HDMI and my monitor is DVI, but there are HDMI-DVI adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030A2ZKA?tag=intercept-kb-20

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I sure wouldn't count on running the HP from any kind of HDMI, given that it has no internal scaler it is especially picky.
I tried to get mine to work with an active HDMI -> DP adapter but never had much luck.

There are laptops with mini DisplayPort, all you need is a cheap miniDP -> DP cable. I'd be looking that direction to save yourself some headache.

This cable claims 4k resolution - maybe it could work with the newer HDMI spec, but typically you need an active adapter to do anything with dual-link DVI so I wouldn't bet on it...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had an old Gateway FX laptop with 8800M GTS video card were I was able to connect an old Dell 3007 or u3011 via HDMI at 2560x1600 but only at 30 HZ.

You check out this link

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...ithout-vidock-works-but-i-need-some-help.html

I just use CRU and change the refresh rate to 30 Hz and resolution to 2560x1600.

Not sure of current laptops, but my three year old non gaming HP Envy 17 ATI 7690M XT has two full Displayport that supports two 60 Hz 2560x1600 or two 30 HZ 3840x2160, HDMI at 30 HZ 3840x2160p, and the laptop monitor itself. For a total of four screens.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

And if the laptop has a minidisplayport---would a converter from mini to regular displayport work at 60HZ on 2650x1600?

Thanks folks.

And if the laptop has a minidisplayport---would a converter from mini to regular displayport work at 60HZ on 2650x1600?

This should work fine, it certainly did with my 2009 Macbook Pro. I used a mini-DP to DP cable.

Now I just need to find a good laptop with either DVI or display/mini display port. It seems that everything I see for sale has HDMI, which is a bummer. My old Sager laptop had two AMD 5800s that used DVI, but this laptop is glacially slow.

Is HDMI really that much the norm for laptop GPUs?

Back