Scumbag Move of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
So you win a contest that gives you early access to a game, what's the first thing you do? If you are a total scumbag, you crack the game and release it to pirate sites. :(

"As you can imagine I am really pissed off," wrote Gameloft community manager Florian Weber on the Modern Combat 4 Hub Facebook group. "To anybody who got MC5 already, shame on you! We are making games for you and all you can do is pirate them?

This is a shame, considering how original the game looks.

But people only pirate because content isn't available to them in a reasonable format at a reasonable price!

What a douche. Hopefully whoever did it shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

But people only pirate because content isn't available to them in a reasonable format at a reasonable price!

Shoot, it's not available at any price since it was pre-release which in turn made it more enticing for the pirates (mainly for bragging rights, etc.)

Just looked at Modern Combat 4 since I'd never heard of it...a $7 app with in-app purchases? Fuck that...

cry me a river... a shitty iOS pay to win game? who the hell cares?

The ones that pirated it are probably the ones that paid full price for the last one and feel ripped off for a copycat clone of a game.

The bottom line of any game, people will pay for it if it's good and/or the right price. This game looks to be neither.

Definitely a douche move, but honestly it's kinda hard to feel too bad for Gameloft. They're the douches of the mobile game world. They don't do much but rip off other games themselves.

The ones that pirated it are probably the ones that paid full price for the last one and feel ripped off for a copycat clone of a game.

The bottom line of any game, people will pay for it if it's good and/or the right price. This game looks to be neither.

Gameloft and the leaker are both assholes. They should both be called out and mocked mercilessly to be fair.

The still image of the video in the article is a clear rip-off from:
deusex3.jpg

Sure justify it all you want. It is NEVER right to pirate a game that you did not pay for.

Well, it just got more press than it probably would have ever gotten otherwise.

Sure justify it all you want. It is NEVER right to pirate a game that you did not pay for.

I did when I was younger, so I can't be too critical. But, I do agree. It wasn't right then, and it isn't right now. As for this guy... what a real piece of work. Hopefully, they can find out who he is and publicly shame him. I guess we aren't going to be looking forward to any more of these type of contests....

Wait. Didn't we say piracy doesn't harm anyone whenever the RIAA/mpaa bitch about it?

The pirates wouldn't have bought the game anyway, right?

Wait. Didn't we say piracy doesn't harm anyone whenever the RIAA/mpaa bitch about it?

The majority here don't condone piracy, but what we don't like is the douchebag moves of the RIAA/MPAA and outright lies.

I doubt they'll be hit hard by this, given that it has a big MP following. It's like pirating COD or BF .. You still can't play MP.

Just looked at Modern Combat 4 since I'd never heard of it...a $7 app with in-app purchases? Fuck that...

Yup... glad they pirated the piss out of it already. Mobile gaming is a joke...in app purchases just take advantage of people consistently.... fuck em...im tired of fucking idiots paying for a game 40 times... thus causing ALL of us to deal with this type of crap....pirating is the only way to go now...dont like it, buy it... enjoy those fuck you charges on your phone bill like from T Mobile.... you deserve them...

This isn't so much about piracy, the main point here is someone abusing his free early access to release the game early to the public. Shit like this discourages companies from doing the same thing in the future.

Yup... glad they pirated the piss out of it already. Mobile gaming is a joke...in app purchases just take advantage of people consistently.... fuck em...im tired of fucking idiots paying for a game 40 times... thus causing ALL of us to deal with this type of crap....pirating is the only way to go now...dont like it, buy it... enjoy those fuck you charges on your phone bill like from T Mobile.... you deserve them...

Nope. Those pirates pirated these mobile games out of their own utter stupidity as well. Why go mobile gaming in the first place if you already know that it's a cesspool of money grabbing in-app purchases? Taking a whole load of shit and gorging on it it idiotic, no matter HOW you got those shit in the first place.

Frankly this happens all the time. Might not get this kinda coverage but its not uncommon

It's Gameloft, so honestly I can't say I really feel that sorry for them. In an industry of mobile gaming scumbags, they are the king. It's like hearing about a drug lord getting robbed. You don't really feel sorry for him.

In this situation since there was no other copy of the game out there for sale it's safe to say at least some of those pirates might have payed for the game. The argument you reference is when someone demoes barbi's fun house for lulz and is then accused of piracy for a game they would have never bought anyway.

I dont see what the hate is. I dont play a lot of mobile games but the one's I have with in-app purchases could usually be completed for free if you put in the time, which I often found to be part of the challenge in the first place. Right now I'm playing Beach Buggy Blitz. For like $10 or something I could unlock every car and every powerup, or I could complete about 50 races in 1st place to get a few of the major unlocks. I find the anticipation of what I'll unlock to be just as fun as the game.

So what you guys are saying is that this game would not have been pirated at another point?

I think this guy did them a favor.
I always rather try a full game not demo before I buy.
If I like, I buy! so if your game sucks that's on you!!

So did any of you advocating the pirating of the games becuase it has in-app purchases even bother to read the article or look up the game? Instead of assuming MC5 has in-app purchases because MavericK96 says MC4 had in-app purchases and cost $7 you might look up the fact that it is developed by gameloft Bucharest instead of gameloft Montreal and that it was a flat fee and the only way to unlock things is by playing the game.

The Polygon link is blocked for me. I'll check it from home later. Just based on the first post, it doesn't seem like a scumbag move. :confused:

Wait, you're telling my an iOS game got pirated?!
I thought it was just us Android people that were the scum of the earth!

I'm no dev, but if the game is being released to a limited few, wouldn't it be a simple matter to watermark each apk?

So did any of you advocating the pirating of the games becuase it has in-app purchases even bother to read the article or look up the game? Instead of assuming MC5 has in-app purchases because MavericK96 says MC4 had in-app purchases and cost $7 you might look up the fact that it is developed by gameloft Bucharest instead of gameloft Montreal and that it was a flat fee and the only way to unlock things is by playing the game.

The only thing I'm "assuming" is that it's made by a company who pulls bullshit like that and I refuse to support it, in any case.

To do something like this is terribly low and incredibly stupid. This kind of piracy is absolutely unacceptable. I'm sure these morons will end up either sued into oblivion or and more likely in jail.

Can't believe anyone would actually do this.

Also the fact that its a mobile game has nothing to do with it. If it was a copy of Halo 5 it would still be retarded.

What a douche. Hopefully whoever did it shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

You just shot down your own argument. It isn't available right now, at any price.

how do we know it isnt gameloft themselves releasing the software out into the wild, using it as a publicity stunt and excuse to ramp up in game purchases and piracy protection.

gotta pay $1 after each mission to download the next mission.
i see it coming.

Back