Kids Kill Over 100k People In Video Games By 18

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for statistic mostly likely to be "pulled straight from my ass" goes to this guy.

"The perceived anonymity of digital existence makes it much easier to sort of distance yourself for your own morality," said O’Mara on July 16, 2014 on CNN Tonight. "It’s just what happens because it’s so much easier to be somebody you want to be but know you shouldn't be when you’re online. Literally, by the time a child is 18 years of age, they‘ve killed over 100,000 people in video games and other online things."

I've killed 10 million people alone in Sim City, 2,683 in Microsoft Flight Simulator. :(

It is a numbers game. You can't censor video games because a small percentage of players on SSRI medication act out violence they see in a game in real life. It isn't video games that is the problem. It is a combination of violent images and people on SSRI type medication.

It is a numbers game. You can't censor video games because a small percentage of players on SSRI medication act out violence they see in a game in real life. It isn't video games that is the problem. It is a combination of violent images and people on SSRI type medication.

Obama did it.

100,000? Pfftt. They are seriously lagging behind.

Straight from the committee of Numbers Pulled From...

I don't know if I can roll my eyes much harder. Also, how many of these "killed people" were demons, monsters, koopas, goombas, lemmings, robots. How many of the ones that were actually "people" drug lords, murderers, terrorists. How many were mindless NPCs, or controlled by human characters. How do these people come up with these numbers?!?!

Now that we have these numbers, let's arbitrarily apply them to some sub-group of the population, and create a news story!

Ugh...

Straight from the committee of Numbers Pulled From...

I don't know if I can roll my eyes much harder. Also, how many of these "killed people" were demons, monsters, koopas, goombas, lemmings, robots. How many of the ones that were actually "people" drug lords, murderers, terrorists. How many were mindless NPCs, or controlled by human characters. How do these people come up with these numbers?!?!

Now that we have these numbers, let's arbitrarily apply them to some sub-group of the population, and create a news story!

Ugh...

Edit: (human players, not human characters...)

Back in my quake 2 days, (spent a thousand or so hours over a years) with an average of 350 something FPH when I was 13 or 14 playing on gamespy servers (god I miss them) I'd say 100K is n00b level by 18. Thank god for 64-player quake 2 madness with the BGH and double shotgun + quad damage.

Quake 2 was like an surrogate father keeping me out of trouble.

He meant BFG, he did.

If you ain't grappling with the Railgun you ain't doing it right ;)

Noob :D

Show of hands, how many of you guys play one of these games where you can choose to be the good guy or the bad guy and just keep finding that you always gravitate toward being helpful and doing the "right" thing?

Come on, be honest :p

I mean, like I blew up Megaton, once, just to see what would happen and to get that sweet penthouse apartment right?

Seems like they need more training...100K? Pffft....I think I did that in GTA III alone.

The problem is it becomes ingrained into a young person psych that this is the norm.
I watched my nephew play Payday II and cringe at how good he is at the game.
Back in the old days the animations were not as bad as they are today more digital blood then realistic.

What would blow their minds is if the author's of these fucked up articles could see the demographics of guys like us commenting on their BS. They wouldn't believe it because it just doesn't fit their concept of who a gamer is.

Retards.

this moron is a typical leftist toad...hell , I have wasted that many in game with harsh language alone!

Show of hands, how many of you guys play one of these games where you can choose to be the good guy or the bad guy and just keep finding that you always gravitate toward being helpful and doing the "right" thing?

Actually, you make a valid point. I typically do go the goody-goody path in most games. (Paragon in Mass-Effect, Friend of Little Sisters in BioShock, etc.) However, when I play a game like Dishonored or Deus Ex, I have a good healthy mix of non-lethal and lethal. Then in something like Quake or Doom, I'm a killing machine.

I do, in fact.

I finally had to roll a female character in Skyrim, because as a guy playing it, no matter how mean I PLANNED on starting out...I just felt too much 'like myself' and ended up helping everyone out on every idiot FedEx quest and all. But I didn't want to miss something like half the game, so...I rolled an alt that I wouldn't really personally identify with. (Although, even then, I only got about 80% of the way through where I wanted to get...orders of magnitude CLOSER, but...I dunno, "evil" is just so easy to play given the game mechanics. See something you want? Just take it! Someone in your way? Just kill them! Simply makes the game feel less challenging...it gets boring.)

I do, in fact.

I finally had to roll a female character in Skyrim, because as a guy playing it, no matter how mean I PLANNED on starting out...I just felt too much 'like myself' and ended up helping everyone out on every idiot FedEx quest and all. But I didn't want to miss something like half the game, so...I rolled an alt that I wouldn't really personally identify with. (Although, even then, I only got about 80% of the way through where I wanted to get...orders of magnitude CLOSER, but...I dunno, "evil" is just so easy to play given the game mechanics. See something you want? Just take it! Someone in your way? Just kill them! Simply makes the game feel less challenging...it gets boring.)

After playing through Morrowind, I then ended up making myself some total invisibility armor. Also edited the skill levels per character level and training skills per level so I could max everything out very quickly.

I also made some super flying boots so I could pretty much jump across the whole world in a few seconds.

And to top it off, I made some robes of damage... I would sell them to a merchant, watch them twitch and convulse until they died and then loot them back as well as everything else in their store.

Most of this was also possible in Oblivion.

Now that is how to have fun in a game that gets very grindy.

100k.. pfft.. Pretty sure I killed that many by the time I was 13 or 14, and I didn't have a computer or gaming system till I was 12.

Wolfenstein 3d alone probably saw more dead Nazis and their dogs than 100k by the time I was done with it.

I also heard if you are top of your class IRL and become an elected official or even a leader of a nation you can easily directly or indirectly kill 100K REAL people by the time you are 45.

Frankly, I'm appalled that they think so little of my gaming abilities! I've killed at least 10x that amount.

Blew up several planets with my Death Stars in Star Wars Rebellion, should put my pre-18 kill count at several trillion.

Only 100k? I regularly bombard planets to kill off the civilization before colonizing it. even the animals are getting nuked from orbit

I wonder how long would it take to get 100k kills playing Minecraft. :rolleyes:

Yea... I'm pretty sure I had more than 100k kills in Quake3 alone some years ago.
If you count the imaginary people I killed while playing the old dos game Nukewar, I annihilated at least a few 100 billion. Back in the day, I also played Spaceward Ho! and that included annihilating whole galaxies of planets and alien species. Probably wracked up a trillion imaginary people dead from playing that game.

In fact, I think I'll load up those games again and continue the carnage I already started. I am certain both games have a few more years of entertainment value, even if only for nostalgia sake.

Oh sure, video games.
What about the pre-video game days? I'd wager I slayed 100k text mobs before I ever played a video game.

I kill that many people in my imagination on a typical workday.

this moron is a typical leftist toad...hell , I have wasted that many in game with harsh language alone!

The morality police aren't a left or right wing only phenominon. I had to deal with the satanic panic religious nutters growing up in Oklahoma. They're worse.

Personally, this Link makes me think we should be worried about those players who are only killing 100,000 people in games. Where are their moral grounds? Have they ever felt guilty? Does that guilt effect their social behavior in a positive way? I think we need some research on this. Give me a billion dolars, I do it for you.

Back