Halo Composer Wins Legal Battle Against Bungie

HardOCP News

[H] News
While it is too bad that this had to be settled by the courts, at least it is over now and everything worked out for the best.

Despite initially denying that O'Donnell was due remuneration, Bungie is now required to pay over $38,385 in unpaid work and vacation time, in addition to double damages amounting to $38,385. Counting attorney's fees and interest, the total payable amount reaches $95,019.13.

I probably haven't touched a console in close to a decade and I still remember the Halo soundtrack. Bungie firing this guy was just plain wrong especially since they even admit that he was in good standing within the company.

What were they thinking?

I find it bizarre when big companies try to screw someone out of vacation time. Not only is it a bullshit move, it's begging to be sued, and impossible to defend.

I find it bizarre when big companies try to screw someone out of vacation time. Not only is it a bullshit move, it's begging to be sued, and impossible to defend.
Big companies like to screw everyone out of everything, however they realize there are limits to what they can do and still function, so they have a learning process like in this case.

I still can't help to wonder if there was something more leading up to firing of marty. Oh well, they should have paid it out in the first.

yea sounds like Bungie tried to be dicks about the deal and got the shaft instead.

It's really too bad this guy had to slap them around to finish them off with outside help.

It sure must be deflating for bungie to have their lack of stand up character be shown to the world and proven in the courts.

I sure don't want to handle their limp product from here on out. But it isn't coming to the PC so I don't have to worry. It will be the creepy product trying to win kids.

I probably haven't touched a console in close to a decade and I still remember the Halo soundtrack. Bungie firing this guy was just plain wrong especially since they even admit that he was in good standing within the company.

What were they thinking?
They probably want to get someone like justin bebier to take his place.

I'd be willing to bet a small sum that he ruffled feathers over political viewpoints. From what I recall of my brief time at his Marty Army forum, the guy isn't particularly reserved about his stances or arguing with fans over them.

Source: nothing.

An afterthought: the circumstances I suggested would necessitate that the public announcement emphasize 'on good terms'. Imagine the embarrassment and/or outrage if Bungie's announcement was, "Our staffers couldn't handle one another's dissenting opinions, so we had to boot someone."

I'd be willing to bet a small sum that he ruffled feathers over political viewpoints. From what I recall of my brief time at his Marty Army forum, the guy isn't particularly reserved about his stances or arguing with fans over them.

Source: nothing.
I don't know, I've done contract work for a game media company for 6 years before, and once my pay dropped drastically over one Christmas, I left, but they didn't honor any rights written into my contract. I tried reasoning with them, but it had zero effect, plus I had mountains of evidence to show they were in the wrong. The only way I got anything done was threatening legal action against them. While not a 1:1 situation as this, the attitude expressed by Bungie sounds damn familiar. It has this "we want everything" vibe to it.

Back