Apple Is Ordering 80M iPhone 6 Handsets For Launch

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple is ordering up eighty million handsets for the iPhone 6 launch. I guess they are expecting to sell a few phones. ;)

It seems Apple has particularly high hopes for this year's iPhone line-up. According to the Wall Street Journal, it's ordering its largest ever order for new iPhones off the production line, numbering somewhere between 70 to 80 million units. How that figure will be divided between the rumoured 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models remains to be seen, but it's still a significantly larger order than the 50 to 60 million iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C handsets ordered last year.

Can't really see any problem with Apple being able to sell that many in 4 to 5 months.

Can't really see any problem with Apple being able to sell that many in 4 to 5 months.

You are probably right, but they have never done this. For anything. I think part of the Jobs approach was to have people literally *squirming* in the hype. Sold out for weeks. Then sold out again for additional weeks. By the time the hype died down, the anticipation for the next launch of device X was building.

This applied to their computers before the iPhone showed up. I used to be a mac head (plus I admin'd a few mac based schools), and Mac World in SF was like xmas.

Just think this is a decidedly non-apple approach.

So they are ordering 80M phones before they even have a chance to have the first batch user tested to make sure they don't have a huge mess on their hands?

Sounds like a really bad plan to me, especially with the number of issues with past releases.

So they are ordering 80M phones before they even have a chance to have the first batch user tested to make sure they don't have a huge mess on their hands?

Sounds like a really bad plan to me, especially with the number of issues with past releases.

No note likely they ordered that many but that many will not be produced instantly. And they will have reserved the right to make revisions and they will have even reserved the right to make reductions in orders.

How the hell do industries even produce so much of something.

I want the 5.5" version of the iPhone 6. That one will be my first iPhone.

(I'll be getting the Note 4, too)

The demand is huge for iphones, it may be a lot of phones, but I'd be very surprised if they still won't have shortages.

The demand is huge for iphones, it may be a lot of phones, but I'd be very surprised if they still won't have shortages.

Of course, it's not like all of these 80 million units will be available on day one.

Lol at the people here thinking this will not sell. If Apple is indeed raising the screen size and not just making another iPhone 5, this "new" iPhone will sell even better than the 5S.

I think people are missing the point. Apple is not ordering these because they think there will be some explosion of galaxy users switching back. They are ordering these because they are finally getting good ins with the Chinese. A 1 billion person market is opening up to them.

I thought part of the marketing for Apple was that that their new products were in short supply and hard to get.

Back