Netflix Pays Up, but Verizon Keeps On Throttling Traffic

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Even though streaming service Netflix is now subsidizing bandwidth costs with both Comcast and Verizon, Verizon’s service hasn’t improved, but has actually declined. Comcast service has improved service for Netflix since the start of compensation by Netflix.

Not only has Verizon’s performance become dramatically worse, the company has continued to try and foist the blame for the problem on Netflix.

Netflix should sue Verizon and COmcast for even having to pay this stupid mofia style protection money. It's bullshit!!

Netflix should partner up with Google and get fiber service deployed everywhere so they can tell ISP's like ComCast and Verizon to fuck off. Put the screws to them with real competition. The ISP's would quit with their greedy bullshit tactics instantly. Problem solved. Consumers win.

Netflix should partner up with Google and get fiber service deployed everywhere so they can tell ISP's like ComCast and Verizon to fuck off. Put the screws to them with real competition. The ISP's would quit with their greedy bullshit tactics instantly. Problem solved. Consumers win.
The next glacial advance will cover the US before Google fiber does.

I wish the general public would vote with their wallet and put an end to this.

Sounds about right for Verizon. They took all the money before from the government to deploy high speed internet options, blew it all then bitched how they didn't have money to upgrade services and couldn't do anything without more money. Not surprised the same happen here.

Would be nice but won't happen. People will bitch and moan about how they have no choices and about the actions of the larger companies. However they won't put their money into supporting the little guys.

I can verify this. Most everything I stream I get at 256SD and I have an 85mb FIOS connection.

In fact, I can't get to NetFlix AT ALL tonight.

Would be nice but won't happen. People will bitch and moan about how they have no choices and about the actions of the larger companies. However they won't put their money into supporting the little guys.

What if there is no little guy as an alternative?

The improved Netflix service for Verizon customers isn't planned to go live until Q4. The difference between this and the Comcast deal is that Netflix and Comcast worked together to set up the infrastructure while they were still negotiating. Verizon did not work with Netflix until the ink was dry.

For once, Comcast actually did something decent.

Please enlighten us all about these "little guys" of which you speak.

So, fabricated bandwidth limitations, data caps, speed throttling, and extortion is doing something decent? I would hate to find out the terrible things they do.

So, fabricated bandwidth limitations, data caps, speed throttling, and extortion is doing something decent? I would hate to find out the terrible things they do.

Way to completely warp my post. Would you also like to talk about the face on Mars? That's about as relevant to what I posted about as anything you just wrote.

Well, the problem in my case is that Verizon controls all of the wires coming into my house.

Assuming I was completely sick of FiOS to the point of being willing to accept dial-up speeds, I would have to pay Verizon $60 a month for a landline, on top of the cost of the dial-up ISP. In other words, they have it set up so that I can't even get dial-up for less than $70 a month.

Aside from that, my options are satellite or 4G. Both of those are overpriced and have very low caps.

I keep getting this mental image of me running around in a maze designed for rats, with this huge guy in a Verizon shirt putting his hands over both the exits.

If things get much worse, we may actually move in order to change ISPs. It's getting to the point that you have to physically pick-up house and move in order to choose your ISP.

The US Government should actually set up something like The Purge. For one night, all crime, including murder, would be legal. But only against pieces of shit like rapists, child murderers, crooked judges, and people who run companies like Verizon.

What if there is no little guy as an alternative?

Please enlighten us all about these "little guys" of which you speak.

A lot of area have other companies that people ignore or don't know about. Most of the time you don't care about them as their service is fixed wireless (WISP) and only something like 5 - 10Mbps, or xDSL between 4 and 20Mbps.

The "little guy" can also be your local telephone company if they aren't one of the larger few. There are thousands of independent telephone companies out there. Hell the city of Orlando surprisingly gets phone service by a telephone company that only services that city and not one of the big guys. A lot of the companies with below 15,000 customers are watching their numbers drop more and more as people drop land lines and go with cell only or switch to cable, phone and internet bundles. And are hurting due to this change. Some of which are on the verge of having to close up. Which it is funny in a way to think that a city somewhere might have no actual land lines, everyone either uses cell phones or cable and that are the two choices.

That recording from the guy last week trying to cancel his Comcast service was because he was going to move to some other small cable company in San Francisco.

Kenworth - based on your profile I see that you are in Phoenix, Arizona. Just doing a quick look online I see that there is a Phoenix Internet. There might be others out there also, just one that I found trying to do a quick search.

375kbps to Netflix on a 75mb pipe? My head would explode. I get 3mb on my fiber streaming several movies at once.

Way to completely warp my post. Would you also like to talk about the face on Mars? That's about as relevant to what I posted about as anything you just wrote.

ComCast "created" a problem for Netflix. Told Netflix to pay them money to fix it. Netflix had no choice unless they wanted to start losing their customers that get their Netflix content via ComCast service. Now others (Verizon) have followed the footsteps of ComCast by creating a problem that money (and only money, oddly enough) can alleviate.

My response to your post was looking past the perception of a ComCast "good deed" by bringing the focus to what the cause was in the first place.

The improved Netflix service for Verizon customers isn't planned to go live until Q4. The difference between this and the Comcast deal is that Netflix and Comcast worked together to set up the infrastructure while they were still negotiating. Verizon did not work with Netflix until the ink was dry.

or.... Comcast was shameless in turning on the "allow Netflix through" switch right after the contract was signed, while Verizon is pretending their is no 'on' button or they just want to extort Netflix more, or at least make them sweat.

You know, they could just cache the commonly used movies. I think they do it already, but why the network issues if so?

The people having Verizon trouble could always sign themselves up for a proxy service. Its usually low cost per month for those, but if you want netflix service so bad I'm sure you'd be willing to do it.

A lot of area have other companies that people ignore or don't know about. Most of the time you don't care about them as their service is fixed wireless (WISP) and only something like 5 - 10Mbps, or xDSL between 4 and 20Mbps.

The "little guy" can also be your local telephone company if they aren't one of the larger few. There are thousands of independent telephone companies out there. Hell the city of Orlando surprisingly gets phone service by a telephone company that only services that city and not one of the big guys. A lot of the companies with below 15,000 customers are watching their numbers drop more and more as people drop land lines and go with cell only or switch to cable, phone and internet bundles. And are hurting due to this change. Some of which are on the verge of having to close up. Which it is funny in a way to think that a city somewhere might have no actual land lines, everyone either uses cell phones or cable and that are the two choices.

That recording from the guy last week trying to cancel his Comcast service was because he was going to move to some other small cable company in San Francisco.

Kenworth - based on your profile I see that you are in Phoenix, Arizona. Just doing a quick look online I see that there is a Phoenix Internet. There might be others out there also, just one that I found trying to do a quick search.
Where I live I've tried to find anything else, but all I've got here is AT&T and Time Warner.
I'd gladly pay more for a little guy just to slap those two asshat companies in the face.

When I used 35Mb Suddenlink, Netflix worked awesome.

Now I am on 50MB Verizon Fios, and Netflix sucks. Really bad. Takes a long time to get HD, buffers etc.
Hulu on the other hand is still HD and runs just fine.....

I hope Verizon chokes.

General Public believe this is netflix's fault and they are doing it, or so that is what ISP's are trying to brainwash into them like Verizons press release saying the problem is where netflix and verizon networks meet.

The US Government should actually set up something like The Purge. For one night, all crime, including murder, would be legal. But only against pieces of shit like rapists, child murderers, crooked judges, and people who run companies like Verizon.

Never happen since the you would have to also include all the corrupt politicians for this to work.

God, these cable companies really are greedy bastards aren't they? I'm happy I don't have any issues like this with Charter... yet.

Unfortunately, in most places, voting with wallets isn't enough, you also have to move to where there's a third credible option, which is asking a lot.

That's really not realistic for a majority of people. How is paying just as much money for a slower connection an option? That's why people "don't know about them", because they don't care, it's not worth it. For example, I live right outside a major metropolitan area. The last time I checked with AT&T I could get a maximum of 3.0Mbps DSL for roughly the same price as my 20Mbps cable modem. All wireless options are more expensive and have rather low data caps, that I would hit in a matter of days, if not hours.

I can verify this. Most everything I stream I get at 256SD and I have an 85mb FIOS connection.

In fact, I can't get to NetFlix AT ALL tonight.

Such a shame, but good to know. I'll stay away for Netflix for the time being and just watch older flicks from Prime.

The arrogant cock-bags at Verizon did the obvious thing.

They took the money and...POCKETED IT.

That's why caving this sort of extortion doesn't "fix" anything.

Comcast, ass-hats that they are, at least made an half-hearted attempt to give Netflix fair value.

Verizon just treated it as a payday and kept on, business as usual.

Such a shame, but good to know. I'll stay away for Netflix for the time being and just watch older flicks from Prime.
If you can, you should find a better ISP who will provide what you pay them to provide.

The problem is, what are many of these people supposed to do for broadband service then?

Go back to dialup?

Basically these guys have their customers effectively locked in by being the only real choices in the area.

Yep. Phoenix Internet is a business-class provider. Basically start around $300/month and work up from there.

I was trying to watch Hemlock Grove last night at about 10:30PM Eastern and my 50/25 FiOS connection couldn't maintain the show in HD. Just pathetic Verizon, thanks for the terrible service.

Yep. Phoenix Internet is a business-class provider. Basically start around $300/month and work up from there.

Looked like they did residential also in the form of fixed wireless, although I might be wrong. Didn't look too much at the site. Just found they were an option.

Which is how it is in some places, business grade services have far more options and residents.

That's really not realistic for a majority of people. How is paying just as much money for a slower connection an option? That's why people "don't know about them", because they don't care, it's not worth it. For example, I live right outside a major metropolitan area. The last time I checked with AT&T I could get a maximum of 3.0Mbps DSL for roughly the same price as my 20Mbps cable modem. All wireless options are more expensive and have rather low data caps, that I would hit in a matter of days, if not hours.

It is an option to not be paying Comcast or TWC. That way that company can make more and be able to afford the expensive costs of upgrading.

Now, at&t isn't a little guy so the fact that they continue to only offer 3Mbps doesn't help much. That said there could still be a fixed wireless (WISP) service in your area offering faster than 3 but less than 20 for that same price ballpark.

Some times in order to help out the little guy you have to pay more. Look at a local mom and pop place vs a large chain. It is normally cheaper to buy at WalMart or a place like that. But if you want to keep everyone else still open I your go shop at your locally owned places and play the higher prices just to support them.

would running a VPN service help to get around that? A friend of mine thought so and said it was working better for him, back when Comcast was throttling. wonder if it would work for verizon

Back