International Dota 2 Championships to Air on ESPN

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Valve announced on Friday that the International Dota 2 Championships will be broadcast on ESPN. The association with ESPN will bring video gaming tournament play into the forefront of major competitions.

The International Dota 2 Championships is being held this year between July 18 and July 22 in Seattle, Washington. The record-breaking prize pool is over $10 million, which Valve points out is “the largest ever for a competitive gaming tournament.”

Congrats to Valve for getting this out in the mainstream.

Never played Dota 2 and never plan on it, but this is a good first step into a new media outlet

MOBA's generally have the most toxic player base out there.(specifically league and dota) I would say that perfectly defines most professional sports. ;)

MOBA's generally have the most toxic player base out there.(specifically league and dota) I would say that perfectly defines most professional sports. ;)

Honestly very few player bases are not toxic these days. Its not really the game fans that are toxic so much as troll culture has taken off on every social aspect of the Internet.

Forums are kind of a last bastion of community for games frankly (a good portion at least) since that's one of the last places you can gather civil people to explore their common interest. Social media has pretty much poisoned everything else beyond reason.

The single worst gaming community , at least I feel , was HoN. That game was full I mean FULL of some of the most obnoxious human beings alive. You couldn't even be introduced to the game and attempt to learn anything with being frankly heckled at every turn for every decision you would make.

DOTA 2 better watch it as well. Lately I've encountered more obnoxious trolls than every there as well. I really hope Valve understands that the community has to be managed at every turn. Once you allow the community freedom to do something they will just instantly shit all over each other.

Some of the best communities I've experienced? World Of Warcraft. I know , the forums are a generally vile place but in game people are often far more civil and friendly. I don't get heckled when I play WoW at all. GM's will ban someone without notice or reason if enough reports go out and they take that shit seriously. If you can find a thriving community in WoW (which is a challenge until the expansion I admit) then you can literally enjoy it for years. I have yet to experience anything like that in a MOBA. Most of the time its just 12-14 year olds screaming "fag" every other word and acting like utter scum.

I enjoyed LoL more than Dota graphics wise, but yes i ran into the "know it all trolls.. "i cant believe you did that" "you're such a bad player i am reporting you because you don't know every combo, spell, move and counter move of every character in this game your such a loser" people it gets annoying...

You both sound like some major whiners. It's all too obvious you both have never played a sport even once in your entire lives. It's also readily apparent you both were terrible at those games you are talking about. If you can't deal with the learning curve and the trash talk and everything else that goes with a competitive environment, get out. Go play something else, don't make up this junk about the millions of players in those games somehow being the worst of humanity whilst you are this righteous son of reason or something. Competitive anything will bring out the worst in people especially when your actions affect their and the team's ability to win as they do in a MOBA.

Bottom line: Let's face it, you sucked, you got bitched at, you cried to yourself, then you left... and, oh boy, here's a thread in which we can whine to our hearts content!

Kids, this is why we go outside and actually interact with others, and of course engage in real physical activity. The above quote is a perfect example of why being a self-righteous badass behind a keyboard justifying his or her own closed-off world, in the end, amounts to nothing, for the person still has nothing, and probably will never amount to anything.

Kids, this is why we go outside and actually interact with others, and of course engage in real physical activity. The above quote is a perfect example of why being a self-righteous badass behind a keyboard justifying his or her own closed-off world, in the end, amounts to nothing, for the person still has nothing, and probably will never amount to anything.

I think this Dudebroguy you're replying to may be an intentional parody. I mean his name is Dudebroguy. C'mon.

I like how theres a lot of bitching that "LoL/Dota has such a toxic community"
Look at this fucking thread.

What's the culture become when playing video games is considered a sport. *sigh*

Same culture that considers a game that 80 year olds can play a sport (golf)..So which is the bigger joke? You can barely be competitive in eSports in your 30's much less your 60s+ unlike that joke of a sport called golf. Perhaps you should actually try playing one of these games and try not to be complete garbage at it, see just how hard it is.

i tried league of legends to see what everyone's talking about. quit at lvl11, found it utterly boring. really? just one map? i watched the dota stream yesterday and i have to say, it's really interesting to watch professional players do pvp. i take back all my criticism about lol and dota. still boring to play imo, but fun to watch. though, i'd love to see a warhammer 40k moba. it would fit so perfectly!

i tried league of legends to see what everyone's talking about. quit at lvl11, found it utterly boring. really? just one map? i watched the dota stream yesterday and i have to say, it's really interesting to watch professional players do pvp. i take back all my criticism about lol and dota. still boring to play imo, but fun to watch. though, i'd love to see a warhammer 40k moba. it would fit so perfectly!

I play very little dota now but I watch a fair amount of tournament streams.

I would say the same about other professional sports like football, basketball, baseball, etc. What percentage of people who love to watch those professional sports games regularly participate in the activity themselves? I'm willing to bet that it's a pretty small number.

Back