TSMC Shares Fall on Apple, Qualcomm Order Loss Reports

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wasn't it just a week ago that TSMC's stock got a boost when it was reported that the company was supplying Apple with chips? Today the company's stock did an about-face after investors learned that Apple is already switching back to Samsung.

Shares of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC) fell as much as 6 percent on Thursday after an analyst and Taiwanese media reported the likely loss of orders for next-generation chips from Apple Inc and Qualcomm Inc.

TSMC should focus on highly technical chips, and leave the mass fab cheap chips to Samsung, as I seriously doubt TSMC has the capacity to make all these low budget fab memory chips and CPU's etc without murdering the rest of their high end business from AMD/Nvidia etc

I still think it is interesting that the boutique tech re-brander and OS manufacturer apple has such a presence in the hardware market when they make no core pieces. Kind of like what Dell tried to do back when PDA's were the thing to have before smart phones.

And now Apple has to shovel money to it's competitor again in order to get parts for their phones. THAT is golden.

That's really the big problem with Apple. The pretty much outsource everything but marketing their products. Designing next gen products, parts supply, assembly, and everything else happens using 3rd parties and when one or more of them are diversified companies with similar business interests, you just end up giving money to a company that you're competing with. It stinks for them, but Apple really should have used some of it's capital to extend its business vertically so that they at least drew up plans for what products would look like in their own offices rather than sending that those requests to China for Quanta to handle.

I still think it is interesting that the boutique tech re-brander and OS manufacturer apple has such a presence in the hardware market when they make no core pieces. Kind of like what Dell tried to do back when PDA's were the thing to have before smart phones.

And now Apple has to shovel money to it's competitor again in order to get parts for their phones. THAT is golden.

because people don't "use" chips/hardware they interact with phones/devices. :rolleyes:

TSMC should focus on highly technical chips, and leave the mass fab cheap chips to Samsung, as I seriously doubt TSMC has the capacity to make all these low budget fab memory chips and CPU's etc without murdering the rest of their high end business from AMD/Nvidia etc
did you just hear about TSMC?

why would you think the world's largest semiconductor foundry lacks the capacity?

Pfft. They want to stay PROFITABLE. Depending on a few small, expensive orders is NOT the way to do that. It means they need to keep their fabs busy with whatever business they can get.

That's really the big problem with Apple. The pretty much outsource everything but marketing their products.

What? https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?jobFunction=HDWEG#&t=0&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&j=HDWEG&lo=0*USA&pN=0

All those jobs are in the US for Apple. Sure they might outsource a few parts to contractors, but every company does. My company mostly just outsources ADC's, everything else is in-house. Do you have a different experience in the semiconductor industry?

Back