Is The PC Gaming Resurgence Here To Stay?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is the PC gaming resurgence here to stay? I didn't know PC gaming was ever in trouble. Did you?

When the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 released in 2005-06, critics and analysts from all over the tech and gaming industry came out to proclaim that they would be the final nails in the PC gaming coffin. At the time, it seemed like they might have had a point. Sales for PC games and hardware were in steady decline since 2001, and longtime champions of PC gaming like Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski practically declared that the company was putting priority on console development.

Ya I'm losing so much sleep gaming all night 60FPS at 2560x1600 on a 30 inch I don't have time to be anxious about the impending end to gaming.

There was no coffin, there was also no decline of PC game revenue during that period. Even the hardware sales figure wasn't in decline. All articles stating otherwise were done by analysts trying to predict the future, or opinion pieces by console centric "journos".

PC gaming didn't decline, PC sales declined(due to tablets).

feeling fuzzy with WingCommander nostalgia, pushing PC hardware to limit with my 386, SoundBlaster, Hercules VGA and Gravis joystick.

There was no coffin, there was also no decline of PC game revenue during that period. Even the hardware sales figure wasn't in decline. All articles stating otherwise were done by analysts trying to predict the future, or opinion pieces by console centric "journos".

Or a result of overpaid hype machine to get people to leave PC gaming. The future resulted exactly as i thought it would. Console is dying and will die. It comes down to why spend $500 for a device that only plays games over a $500-$600 PC that does that and so much more?

The next big move in PCs will be APU. I predict that AMD and Intel will have an APU war, that will utterly destroy the low end graphics card market, along with the console market. In the not so distant future, even Linux will play a major role. Both on PC and mobile tablet devices.

One thing I don't understand about the article is that they seem to have this great chart showing the steady increase in PC gaming sales that supports their idea of a PC gaming 'resurgence' but then they don't include any data to show the slumping sales that PC gaming went though that they were supposed to be surging out of for this so called 'resurgence'.

I think the PS3 and 360 were so technically superior to the prior console generations they became must have items for gamers. Also remember that HD started to become mainstream around 2003+, and gaming on big screen HDTV's in your living room was something new and exciting.

So not just the consoles, but HDTV's played a big role.

I will say this...I'm enjoying the hell out of my 360 more than I used to. That console is a beast, considering it's going on a decade. At the same time, I have zero reason to be interested in either of the newer consoles. The couple of exclusive titles they had, and I was interested in, have been announced for other platforms.

However, there has been no PC decline, so I fail to see how there can be a resurgence. Reports on the death of PC gaming have always been greatly exaggerated.

I think the tricky part with PCs is that as the transition to digital distribution began in the early 2000's they had no way to track those sales since all their reporting systems relied on the box store retailers ... with the establishment of digital stores and digital distribution I think PC games fell off the radar (which made it look like they were declining)

PCs have been on a continuous development curve that is still ongoing across all the key areas that affect performance (CPU, storage, RAM, GPU, and Display) ... most games have continued on their development curve to support the hardware ... not only is PC gaming here to stay it is stronger than ever :)

I am trying to remember when I first heard "PC gaming is dying!". I think it was 1997.

PC gaming didn't decline, PC sales declined(due to tablets)
Yeah, and ironically gaming PCs (ones with discrete graphics cards) actually rose during the same time.

Or a result of overpaid hype machine to get people to leave PC gaming.
There's a LOT of money behind console marketing, I think more than any unified messages from PCs for gaming, it can skew the perception away from whatever the reality is.

It comes down to why spend $500 for a device that only plays games over a $500-$600 PC that does that and so much more?
Seriously, this is why I'm hopeful Steambox can gain some traction in the long term. It won't be a hit success this year, or the next, but 5 years, 10 years from now? It could really start encroaching on console turf. I think the biggest barrier will be getting mainstream games running on Linux effortlessly for the end user, that's a tall order.

On the Internet, PC gaming is king. In the real world, not so much.

How many of you have attempted to sell a desktop PC in the past year or so? Both of the pawn shops in my city flat-out refuse to accept any desktop PC, or desktop PC accessory. There's a big ass sign in their shops and a banner on their websites stating that they're not interested.

I'll be a PC gamer until they pry the mouse+KB from my cold, dead hand. But the fact is, that here on the ground, desktop PCs are difficult to sell and demand is in decline.

We need to adapt instead of recoil. PC gaming needs to be more user friendly. You guys must understand; for average people, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting a Windows or OS X operating system is incredibly difficult if not impossible. Linux? Forget about it.

Sure, we can boot to the recovery console and write a new MBR to a borked C: drive in our sleep. But not everyone is like us - we're the minority in the vidya game world. It's the level of required tech knowledge that's holding PC gaming back, IMO.

I think the tricky part with PCs is that as the transition to digital distribution began in the early 2000's they had no way to track those sales since all their reporting systems relied on the box store retailers ... with the establishment of digital stores and digital distribution I think PC games fell off the radar (which made it look like they were declining)

PCs have been on a continuous development curve that is still ongoing across all the key areas that affect performance (CPU, storage, RAM, GPU, and Display) ... most games have continued on their development curve to support the hardware ... not only is PC gaming here to stay it is stronger than ever :)
This. The so-called "decline" in PC games sales was more the result of there being no data available on digital sales as the proportion of digital:boxed sales for PC games increased during that time period. Hell, the ESA didn't start tracking digital sales in their annual statistics until 2012.

How many of you have attempted to sell a desktop PC in the past year or so? Both of the pawn shops in my city flat-out refuse to accept any desktop PC, or desktop PC accessory. There's a big ass sign in their shops and a banner on their websites stating that they're not interested.

I'll be a PC gamer until they pry the mouse+KB from my cold, dead hand. But the fact is, that here on the ground, desktop PCs are difficult to sell and demand is in decline.

Yeah...that's because gaming laptops, a concept often scoffed at 5-6 years ago, have become such viable alternatives to desktops, along with the comfort of warranties, that a big chunk has been taken out of the desktop buyers market. Additionally, who would want to buy a pre-made machine from a place other than a boutique? Chances that the person is selling you the machine at a price cheaper than a more powerful system would cost are slim.

What does resale value have to do with PC gaming?
We need to adapt instead of recoil. PC gaming needs to be more user friendly. You guys must understand; for average people, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting a Windows or OS X operating system is incredibly difficult if not impossible. Linux? Forget about it.

Keep in mind that in 2006 Microsoft released Windows Vista, a horrible OS that did nothing to help the PC market. Even Windows 7 does little to help make it easy to use a PC. Something simple like driver updates. Seriously, Microsoft has done little in that regard to keep drivers up to date. Windows update is a piece of junk. Steam though will alert you if there's a driver update, and AMD/Nvidia now do it as well. Even Linux does a better job at updating drivers.

Then there's viruses and malware. Windows does nothing to stop this. Anti virus programs are sometimes worse then the virus, and there's nothing to alert you of malware. Got a phone call today that my Windows PC is sending out DOS attacks through Windows Chargen service. As far as I know there isn't a patch to fix this vulnerability. Block port 19 or disable the service like I did.

I have more faith in Valve with it's SteamOS then Microsoft with Windows. We're at Windows 8.1 and none of those issues have been addressed by Microsoft.

Sure, we can boot to the recovery console and write a new MBR to a borked C: drive in our sleep. But not everyone is like us - we're the minority in the vidya game world. It's the level of required tech knowledge that's holding PC gaming back, IMO.

Don't confuse the inability to resell hardware (which is more a factor of low new hardware prices and extended backwards compatibility) than a lack of consumer interest in hardware ... computer hardware is more powerful than ever, lasts longer than ever, but is still dirt cheap (with most prices in the $300-1000 range) ... those kinds of prices kill the resale market

The casual gaming market is booming and doesn't need any help ... Facebook games and other so called free to play games still do very well and are very accessible to the PC gamers who wish to pursue them

I would like to see more focus on expanding the more serious markets ... with the collapse of the old TechTV network we don't really have anyone pushing PC gaming in entertaining ways that would interest the masses ... I would love to see a company like Blizzard or Bethesda sponsor a prime time show based on one of their games or sponsor a reality show targeting competitive gaming on their platform (kind of an American Idol for Starcraft or DOTA or something) ... that would definitely bring in more of the less experienced novice gamers to start up the new generation

Also, I think we PC gamers with kids are good about educating the next generation about the benefits of PC gaming ... all three of my boys (18, 21, 23) were raised on PC games and they primarily game on the PC today (Shogun, Civ V, Walking Dead, Football Manager, Skyrim, etc) :cool:

Steam makes PC gaming great again. Their Linux games run nice and snappy, usually just as good, sometimes better than Windows. My only gripe is that the entire library isn't cross platform.
But all of my games, one menu, update automatically without having to go to dev sites to download updates, incredible SALES, I can choose to use a keyboard/ mouse, controller, steering wheel or flight yoke depending on the game I play...
Does it REALLY get any better than that?

Everyone loves a happy ending but let's not rewrite history here, gents. There was in fact a time that publishers and developers were cancelling PC titles, some even outright stated they were going to focus on consoles exclusively because that's where they were seeing the biggest ROI. Then Steam kind of hit a critical mass and slowly these same publishers (I can think of Square Enix specifically, there are plenty of others but I'm too lazy to dig) began turning their opinions around and re-booting their project development to include PC versions.

And hate to say it but, generally speaking, console brats are still very much the darling target demographic among the big publishers. However that's also been slowly changing.

I think modern era consoles kind of peaked with 360/PS3, and PS4/Xbone will never reach those same numbers. They're on the way down as a lot of console kiddies move to gaming on tablets, and meanwhile PC's are on the way up, which is why Steam Machines catching on in the living room will be one more nail in the coffin for the closed, upgradable idiotboxes with iron-fist-ruled closed ecosystems.

PC gaming is dying. Didn't you hear? It's been prophesied about every year or so. It's always dying. Yet, we're still enjoying it. These journalists keep saying it's dying, but the PC gaming industry hasn't got the memo yet.

Resurgence? If that means were getting non-console ports, then I'm all for it! :)

The biggest problem right now is the "race to the bottom" among hardware vendors. It's getting harder and harder for Intel to justify making newer and faster top tier desktop processors when the BIG markets are mobile and ultra low power.

What we really need right now is for this PC gaming boom to not only continue at a controlled pace, but to add one or two more pieces of "killer tech" that will make everyone want a PC. The success of Oculus would be one example. Smaller things like AMD Freesync is another. So would finally getting an industry standard going around a Unified Memory Architecture so we could have an order of magnitude graphics performance increase.

Some massive improvements in wired broadband performance wouldn't hurt either.

PC gaming hardware market worth more than $21.5 billion globally
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/11/p...e-than-21-5-billion-globally-new-report-says/

The overall demand for PC hardware may be in decline but the market for gaming specific hardware is actually doing quite well, according to a new Jon Peddie Research report (via MCV). The firm pegged the total worldwide market value of PC gaming hardware at more than $21.5 billion, and predicted that it will grow significantly over the next three years.

The report predicts that the PC gaming market will grow to to more than $23 billion by 2017, driven by the availability of increasingly powerful hardware that allows PCs to do things that consoles cannot.

"We continue to see a shift in casual console customers moving to mobile," JPR Senior Analyst Ted Pollak said.

Everyone loves a happy ending but let's not rewrite history here, gents. There was in fact a time that publishers and developers were cancelling PC titles, some even outright stated they were going to focus on consoles exclusively because that's where they were seeing the biggest ROI. Then Steam kind of hit a critical mass and slowly these same publishers (I can think of Square Enix specifically, there are plenty of others but I'm too lazy to dig) began turning their opinions around and re-booting their project development to include PC versions.

And hate to say it but, generally speaking, console brats are still very much the darling target demographic among the big publishers. However that's also been slowly changing.

I think modern era consoles kind of peaked with 360/PS3, and PS4/Xbone will never reach those same numbers. They're on the way down as a lot of console kiddies move to gaming on tablets, and meanwhile PC's are on the way up, which is why Steam Machines catching on in the living room will be one more nail in the coffin for the closed, upgradable idiotboxes with iron-fist-ruled closed ecosystems.

There is no question that consoles were more profitable for awhile (and don't even get me started on publishers ... although some folks hate crowd funding just as much, there are many advantages to taking publishers out of the game) ... consoles are closed platforms so they are easier to develop for and debug ... they also had much more rigid copyright protections due to the requirement for physical media ... however, once digital distribution matured and alternate revenue streams presented themselves (DLC, IAP, etc) then the PC offered competitive alternatives and, except for mobile platforms (tablets and phones), the number of software titles for PCs greatly outnumber any single console (and in some cases multiple consoles combined) ... I don't think PCs were ever in any real danger ;)

Or a result of overpaid hype machine to get people to leave PC gaming. The future resulted exactly as i thought it would. Console is dying and will die. It comes down to why spend $500 for a device that only plays games over a $500-$600 PC that does that and so much more?

The next big move in PCs will be APU. I predict that AMD and Intel will have an APU war, that will utterly destroy the low end graphics card market, along with the console market. In the not so distant future, even Linux will play a major role. Both on PC and mobile tablet devices.

Good lord, try living life off of fantasy island for a second.

I am not sure what it is but the people who can afford whatever they want do not game on PC. They have a console.

Kids have a console as that is what their parents will buy.

The same complaints about the PS4 and Xbox One are the same as they were for the 360 and PS3... Games. That takes time.

The gaming PC is a giant eye sore and people do not want them in their house anymore. It is not a difficult concept to understand. You really think people are going to sit in from of a desk with a keyboard and mouse?

You could have just stopped there.

Lastly, I think you guys get all giddy when someone writes something like this. Except that the growth in PC games are because of games that most of you despise. Dota, LoL, Blizzard games, World of Warcraft etc.

It is not because of the AAA system crushers that we desire. Those are a dying breed, there is not ROI I making those.

mobile phones are the future. we want to play shovelware casual garbage that is loaded with paywalls. that's what analysts like michael pachter say so it must be true.

Yeah...that's because gaming laptops, a concept often scoffed at 5-6 years ago, have become such viable alternatives to desktops, along with the comfort of warranties, that a big chunk has been taken out of the desktop buyers market. Additionally, who would want to buy a pre-made machine from a place other than a boutique? Chances that the person is selling you the machine at a price cheaper than a more powerful system would cost are slim.

I still scoff at the idea of a gaming laptop. Not that the idea is bad or anything, but the execution from the market is just terrible.

Firstly the CPU. Some reason majority of laptops are dual core. Only Intel i7's are quad core, and those cost a pretty penny. A desktop i5 is quad core while a laptop i5 is dual core. Why when cell phones regularly come with quad core now, and some are even 8 core? Doesn't help PC gaming when more and more are stuck on dual cores.

Secondly the GPU. Nowadays very few laptops have discrete graphics. APU's are nice but not for series gaming. AMD is better then Intel but not enough of a difference to care.

Finally, there's the heat issue. About 90% of my laptops break due to heat. These machines aren't built for adequate cooling. I always take apart the laptops to put quality thermal paste or thermal pads. I usually get 50C under normal video watching or web browsing but a game like Portal 2 will jump the temps up to 70C easy.

The cheapest laptop with a discrete GPU was Acer for $450. The Intel version is $600. Both have relatively weak CPUs. For comparison a Pentium G3258 is only $75 and will compete nicely against most i7's in games at 4.8Ghz. While the i5 in that laptop is running at 1.6Ghz. The cheapest i7 quad core is nearly $800 and that's running at 2.4Ghz. For that kind of money I can build a beast of a desktop machine and it won't melt down when it's playing a game. That's why I install Linux on my laptops cause I don't plan to game seriously on them. Would rather have the added security and speed that comes with Linux.

PC gaming is dying. Didn't you hear? It's been prophesied about every year or so. It's always dying. Yet, we're still enjoying it. These journalists keep saying it's dying, but the PC gaming industry hasn't got the memo yet.

Resurgence? If that means were getting non-console ports, then I'm all for it! :)

It's like a bad oriental rug shop. It's always going out of business, but never leaves! :D

The biggest problem right now is the "race to the bottom" among hardware vendors. It's getting harder and harder for Intel to justify making newer and faster top tier desktop processors when the BIG markets are mobile and ultra low power.

What we really need right now is for this PC gaming boom to not only continue at a controlled pace, but to add one or two more pieces of "killer tech" that will make everyone want a PC. The success of Oculus would be one example. Smaller things like AMD Freesync is another. So would finally getting an industry standard going around a Unified Memory Architecture so we could have an order of magnitude graphics performance increase.

Some massive improvements in wired broadband performance wouldn't hurt either.
Or just make games that make better use of PC hardware? Today's PC games are disappointing at best. I hope that Valve's Steam2 game engine will bring a resurgence in PC hardware. More specifically I want more physics in games. I want Half Life 3 to give me a gravity gun that can rip apart buildings so I can throw them at enemies. Rip apart a piece of ground or road to the point where everything is destructible. That's something that would require some impressive PC hardware. Of course that means using the CPU past dual core. Seriously, what PC game needs more then a dual core? None as far as I know.

It did decline some during that time, but it was never in DANGER since PC was/is always adaptable as hell. Plus this is in light of a sucker punch by Microsoft with the Xbox. You had the company responsible for the OS the vast majority of PC gaming is done on not only drop PC gaming like a wet turd, but pour money year after year into the console, its arguable competitor. I can't imagine any scenario where that wouldn't cause a flux in the landscape, but it only slowed it down.

I don't think it has to be across the board, more like this is where something like Steambox needs to succeed. PC gaming does need a console-ish experience where someone turns on the computer, they select the game they want (with a controller), then boom, they're playing. Everyone else can adapt to whatever the most functional desktop experience is at the time.

This may surprise you, but there's a "real world" outside the United States. In Europe, PC gaming clearly dominates over consoles, not just online, but in retail stores, you can clearly see more PC games in stores than console ones.

This may surprise you, but there's a "real world" outside the United States. In Europe, PC gaming clearly dominates over consoles, not just online, but in retail stores, you can clearly see more PC games in stores than console ones.

I don't understand!!!

I haven't wanted a gaming console since I was 18. I got a PC, and haven't looked back. My favorite games just wouldn't be good on a console. I have a couple favorites on my smartphone, but those are minor time wasters, when I have time to kill waiting somewhere that is not home, like for a haircut or at the DMV. My favored time, the thing I prefer to be doing, is PC gaming, strategy games and MMOs, mostly. You can't play those on a console.

It's extremely easy to sell PC components on eBay, craigslist or even on a forum like [H]. If you bought a Dell, well that's an issue you have to address and are in the wrong forums. I've sold hundreds of parts over the last handful of years online. I've never had an issue selling when I had the upgrade itch.

I am not sure what it is but the people who can afford whatever they want do not game on PC. They have a console.

People who have say $2,000 to spend on gaming hardware going to buy a console?

The gaming PC is a giant eye sore and people do not want them in their house anymore. It is not a difficult concept to understand. You really think people are going to sit in from of a desk with a keyboard and mouse?

Tell this to WoW or LoL players.

It's extremely easy to sell PC components on eBay, craigslist or even on a forum like [H]. If you bought a Dell, well that's an issue you have to address and are in the wrong forums. I've sold hundreds of parts over the last handful of years online. I've never had an issue selling when I had the upgrade itch.
What part of my post was about Dell computers? Strawman much?

PC gaming didn't decline, PC sales declined(due to tablets).

feeling fuzzy with WingCommander nostalgia, pushing PC hardware to limit with my 386, SoundBlaster, Hercules VGA and Gravis joystick.

That was a great time.

I skipped the 386:es though. Went straight from my 8Mhz 286 to a 486sx 25Mhz (which I overclocked to 50Mhz by just adding an HSF, 100% overclock FTW)

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, Privateer, all favorite games at the time.

The only franchise from that time I am still playing - however - is Civilization, which I loved ever since the original games launch back in '91.

blogcivilizationscreen.jpg

It HAS changed a bit though :p

Screenshot10.jpg

Something simple like driver updates. Seriously, Microsoft has done little in that regard to keep drivers up to date. Windows update is a piece of junk. Steam though will alert you if there's a driver update, and AMD/Nvidia now do it as well. Even Linux does a better job at updating drivers.

Basic drivers like video, sound printer these days are pretty straight forward in Windows. Do Linux distros automatically handle BIOS updates? There's just too many pieces and parts in the Windows world to keep everything updated centrally. Compared to 20 years ago, it's hardly anymore than running an executable that's easy to locate via a web search 95% of the time.

I have more faith in Valve with it's SteamOS then Microsoft with Windows. We're at Windows 8.1 and none of those issues have been addressed by Microsoft.

And the issue that needs to be addressed with Linux and SteamOS is the game catalog. Sure Windows has it's issues, but those issues aren't worth losing the ability to huge a huge chunk of desktop software for most people it seems. While 8.x is considered a failure by many, Linux gaming according to Steams on numbers can hardly be considered a success. With SteamOS not launching until next year it's going to be going against Windows 9. Assuming the biggest issues with 8.x are resolved in 9, it's going to be a touch battle for SteamOS.

After decades of Linux on the desktop going no where, not even against competition as weak was 8.x, it's hard to envision what would make yet another Linux distro lacking tons of software support as usual be successful this time. Yes, there's Valve and some other companies doing more than before, but at this point there's nothing in it for them really. They'll still be making the vast bulk of their money from Windows customers anyway.

Basic drivers like video, sound printer these days are pretty straight forward in Windows. Do Linux distros automatically handle BIOS updates?
Basic drivers but not full drivers. You don't get AMD Catalyst or Nvidia full driver from Windows update. You don't even get OpenGL drivers from Windows update. And no, Linux doesn't handle bios updates. That would be stupid to do so. Hp did that on a laptop and it failed to do the bios update. Bricking the thing and charging my aunt money to fix it. Got the laptop replaced and disabled the HP update software.

BIOS or firmware updates should never be done automatically due to the rick of bricking the device.

After decades of Linux on the desktop going no where, not even against competition as weak was 8.x, it's hard to envision what would make yet another Linux distro lacking tons of software support as usual be successful this time. Yes, there's Valve and some other companies doing more than before, but at this point there's nothing in it for them really. They'll still be making the vast bulk of their money from Windows customers anyway.
Which is why Valve is doing everything they can to change all that. But it doesn't change the fact that Windows does nothing to help PC gaming. I should be able to download full driver packages automatically from Windows update. It needs better security so that I don't need anti virus software. Rather then those obvious things Microsoft went with a new UI that nobody likes.

Is the PC gaming resurgence here to stay? I didn't know PC gaming was ever in trouble. Did you?

It never went anywhere!

It was the know nothing tech media reporting on the fall of desktop PCs and people chosing mobile computing over non-mobile.
Slow PC sales=death of PC gaming.
Regardless these sales were business PCs with embedded graphics.

IDIOTS.

Back