iPads Can Trigger Nickel Allergies in Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, iPads are causing allergic outbreaks that are "becoming increasingly prevalent" among children. Thanks to Ocean for the link.

When an 11-year-old boy in San Diego developed a nasty skin allergy, doctors traced it to the nickel in his family's iPad. The incident highlights the importance of considering "metallic-appearing electronics and personal effects as potential sources of nickel exposure" and nickel allergy, wrote Drs. Sharon Jacob and Shehla Admani, dermatologists at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).

I have this allergy and have never had an issue with the iPad, however I don't think I've used one for more than 20 minutes at a time.

It's a PITA allergy. You get a rash from cheap nickel plated metal objects. Buttons on pants, shirts, cheap wristwatches ETC.

This looks like it was only(?) The alloy used in first generation ipads.

And yes it is a PITA allergy.

If you've got the income to give a kid a $600 easily broken electronic toy, then you can afford the medical bills too.

If you've got the income to give a kid a $600 easily broken electronic toy, then you can afford the medical bills too.

That's a pretty stupid statement. Are kids not allowed to use things their parents own in your universe?

As if there aren't enough other reasons not to own an Apple product.

Maybe Google can add this as a tag line for their Nexus tablets..."and best of all, it doesn't kill your children like our competitor's tablets!"

That's a pretty stupid statement. Are kids not allowed to use things their parents own in your universe?

Do you have kids?
They LOVE to break things, and most parents neither care if the children break their things or things belonging to others, then they smile, say kids will be kids, and leave you with a busted electronic device and refuse to replace that which their children broke without dragging their asses to court.

Does this mean Apple will come out now and tell people that they are "holding it wrong"? You know, like they did with the iphone when it first came out.

Does this mean Apple will come out now and tell people that they are "holding it wrong"? You know, like they did with the iphone when it first came out.
No, its "You're breeding them wrong." In referance to the kids.

200px-Kyleschwartztransparent.png

*Sniffle* "I have to use a case protector because the iPad gives me a terrible rash." *adjusts glasses*

Joking aside, such an easy fix, and who doesn't use a case these days for their tablet?

Do you have kids?
They LOVE to break things, and most parents neither care if the children break their things or things belonging to others, then they smile, say kids will be kids, and leave you with a busted electronic device and refuse to replace that which their children broke without dragging their asses to court.

I think only white trash families with bad parenting skills say stuff like this. I've had three kids raised in my house I don't think they've managed to break anything over $20 (which was just headphones).

Do you have kids?

I don't have kids, but I think you're making sweeping generalizations.

My iPad is a non-issue since most of the time it serves as a door stop if not delegated for guest use.

My kids are a little rough on things, but that's by MY standards. It drives me nuts because I'm OCD with equipment. However, when I look at it objectively, they've never broken anything, and they're still pretty gentle by even most adults' standards. I also warn other people (especially those without kids) if they're going to let my kids use their gear. Not to NOT let them use it, but I say, are you sure you want to hand that to a kid? (then I tell my kids to be careful with it)

On topic, yeah, metal rashes SUCK. I don't have one, but one of my daughters does, and my mom does. On the other hand, it's a good excuse to NEED fancier metals. :D My mom can wear gold, platinum and things of that nature, just not other metals.

Good. The people who give their fuck trophies expensive tablets are the same people who drive yellow BMWs.

[Citation Needed]
There are no studies that give a percentage on lazy parents.
Lazy parenting is also pretty open to interpretation depending on how you view parents should raise their kids.
That being said, my personal dealings with parents leads me to believe that 3 of 4 have little to no control over their own kids and consider their children perfect and its just everyone else there is something wrong with.
Look, I've raised nephews and nieces because children services took away the kids from my brother and sister. I have no children of my own.
That being said I've spent over 10 years of my life raising children, and gotten a lot of hate from family because I wouldn't bypass the courts and just hand over kids to moms and dads when they wanted their kids back without getting their consoling or mandated therapy. Yup, I'm the bad guy because I put the welfare of the kids over the parent's feelings.
I've raised 3 normal, well behaved kids that aren't destructive, I can't say the same for the majority of their friends who are all white middle class neighborhood.

There are no studies that give a percentage on lazy parents.
Lazy parenting is also pretty open to interpretation depending on how you view parents should raise their kids.
That being said, my personal dealings with parents leads me to believe that 3 of 4 have little to no control over their own kids and consider their children perfect and its just everyone else there is something wrong with.
Look, I've raised nephews and nieces because children services took away the kids from my brother and sister. I have no children of my own.
That being said I've spent over 10 years of my life raising children, and gotten a lot of hate from family because I wouldn't bypass the courts and just hand over kids to moms and dads when they wanted their kids back without getting their consoling or mandated therapy. Yup, I'm the bad guy because I put the welfare of the kids over the parent's feelings.
I've raised 3 normal, well behaved kids that aren't destructive, I can't say the same for the majority of their friends who are all white middle class neighborhood.

The numbers are actually probably worse than you give credit for unfortunately. However, there are still quite a few good parents out there. I happen to know quite a few. Being among the first of my friends/peers to have kids (and especially 4 of them,) I also try to rub some of our good habits off on them. (We also learn from the newer ones too in some ways.)

Nice job on taking care of those kids by the way. They might actually have a chance because of you. :cool:

I have this allergy and have never had an issue with the iPad, however I don't think I've used one for more than 20 minutes at a time.

It's a PITA allergy. You get a rash from cheap nickel plated metal objects. Buttons on pants, shirts, cheap wristwatches ETC.

Nickel sensitivity can vary greatly from person to person. I have it, but outside of rings or wristwatches, it doesn't really effect me. Some stainless casings for watches can make my skin itch, but a high nickel alloy in a ring makes my finger start looking like it's going to rot off. Nickel silver or 10k white gold does bad things to me as a ring.

Nickel sensitivity can vary greatly from person to person. I have it, but outside of rings or wristwatches, it doesn't really effect me. Some stainless casings for watches can make my skin itch, but a high nickel alloy in a ring makes my finger start looking like it's going to rot off. Nickel silver or 10k white gold does bad things to me as a ring.
So if I had a lump of nickel in a lead box and trick you into opening it, you won't go weak and slowly be unable to stand, kryptonite style?

We're not flowing in cash so any device that's not attached by nail or cable is locked up when not used. My wife's iPad and any game controllers are part of that.

As far as a nickle allergy, don't have it, but I knew one teacher who had another metal allergy...brass I believe. That was a huge pain because she was a music teacher with an affinity for band.

The article title is misleading as I don't think the metals in electronics cause allergies. IIRC, allergies are an abnormal over-reaction to normal items, possibly a type of auto-immune disorder. Not everything is life-threatening like bee sting allergies, but rashes can indicate a life-threatening situation.

I'd also like to add that, because my oldest is autistic, that changes the game. We're constantly trying to batten down the hatches so she doesn't make messes. I'm glad she's not the violent type, and she's never beaten my electronics. Her expression of love on the pets needs a little toned down, however.

I look at what's valuable and try to keep it under wraps. I've had a few instances where taking away, say a $50 controller resulted in shed tears, but I've found that keeping things "out of sight, out of mind" does help. And locks.
I will be glad when I get the backyard fenced in. ;)

Master [H];1040962070 said:
We're not flowing in cash so any device that's not attached by nail or cable is locked up when not used. My wife's iPad and any game controllers are part of that.

As far as a nickle allergy, don't have it, but I knew one teacher who had another metal allergy...brass I believe. That was a huge pain because she was a music teacher with an affinity for band.

The article title is misleading as I don't think the metals in electronics cause allergies. IIRC, allergies are an abnormal over-reaction to normal items, possibly a type of auto-immune disorder. Not everything is life-threatening like bee sting allergies, but rashes can indicate a life-threatening situation.

Nickel allergies are often partially a result of OVER EXPOSURE

Back