Microsoft Quietly Shutting Down MapPoint in Favor of Bing Maps

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has made the decision to retire and make no further input to MapPoint, but will supply online support for the 14 year old service until at least July of 2015. Microsoft has been supporting both MapPoint and Bing Maps, but under the updated guidelines of the new CEO Satya Nadella, the duality has come to an end.

“The retirement of these products will not affect software already installed,” Microsoft said. “Current users may continue to use Microsoft AutoRoute, Microsoft Streets & Trips and Microsoft MapPoint to plan their travel adventures.”

“The retirement of these products will not affect software already installed,” Microsoft said. “Current users may continue to use Microsoft AutoRoute, Microsoft Streets & Trips and Microsoft MapPoint to plan their travel adventures.”

Translation of CEO speak.

No one actually uses it anyhow, I'm just posting this to divert peoples blind anger into something pointless.

Translation of CEO speak.

No one actually uses it anyhow, I'm just posting this to divert peoples blind anger into something pointless.

LOL

BITD MapPoint was one of the few programs that allowed the plotting of numerous addresses from an excel sheet. It was good for plotting out cold calls when I was an Army recruiter. :D

LOL

BITD MapPoint was one of the few programs that allowed the plotting of numerous addresses from an excel sheet. It was good for plotting out cold calls when I was an Army recruiter. :D

You can write a simple excel formula to construct a URL for Google maps that will do the same,

I didn't realize that Map Point still existed.

WTF program are we talking about?

Microsoft needs to stick to two things, Windows and Xbox.

Anything else that they try has been and always will be a failure.

God damn it, why the fuck don't we have an edit button? Fucking stupid.

One other thing MS does good, Microsoft Office.

Back