Windows Build 9788 Spotted in the Wild

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The first look at what may be Windows 9 has been spotted in the wild, indicating that the replacement for Windows 8 may not be too far distant. The screenshot is just a tease of what is coming, but at least we know the official un-official leaks are beginning and more information on the build will be forthcoming.

Let's all get excited because a screen shot is what the next OS will look like lol.

Its news when there is a build that has been tested.

The big Microsoft news circulating this past couple of days is the company-wide memo that its new CEO wrote. There, he uses the phrase "mobile-first and cloud-first" half a dozen times to describe their new strategy. He also spends a paragraph on XBox gaming.

You will find little there about what Microsoft intends for its desktop OS; in fact, the only time the word "desktop" is used is about how delighted customers were that they moved Office from the desktop to a service!

The big Microsoft news circulating this past couple of days is the company-wide memo that its new CEO wrote. There, he uses the phrase "mobile-first and cloud-first" half a dozen times to describe their new strategy. He also spends a paragraph on XBox gaming.

You will find little there about what Microsoft intends for its desktop OS; in fact, the only time the word "desktop" is used is about how delighted customers were that they moved Office from the desktop to a service!

I just read it, and man, he is going to drive that company into the ground.

I just read it, and man, he is going to drive that company into the ground.

Its an orgy of buzzword bingo if you read the PR release. The Satya Nadella drinking game is you take a shot on every "go-forward". "Innovation on a strategic go-forward basis". "collective challenge that we now need to make Microsoft thrive in a mobile-first, cloud-first, innovation-first, go-forward world."

And in about 10 days on their earnings call he's going to announce all the former Nokia employees swallowed up in the merger will get to "go-forward" to the unemployment line.

What is new on this desktop other than the confidential warning?

It looks like the Windows 8.1 desktop with the Win Icon and Ugly Store Icon.

Windows 9 will likley be based off the same code base as Windows 7/8.1 , i mean the base is not bad, it is the GUI....

Which means Win 9 could be here in 2015 easily.

Damn, I was hoping that Windows 9 would get rid of the desktop and be Metro only.

What is new on this desktop other than the confidential warning?

It looks like the Windows 8.1 desktop with the Win Icon and Ugly Store Icon.

That's what I was thinking... Looks like a fresh install of 8.1.

Is there a possibility someone was using an old CRT monitor? The screeshot looks like 3:4 instead of 16:9.

Windows 9 will likley be based off the same code base as Windows 7/8.1 , i mean the base is not bad, it is the GUI....

Which means Win 9 could be here in 2015 easily.

Well, they're going to do what they should have done with Windows 8...they're going to support a start menu that the end user can change to suit himself and his hardware--ie, a touch screen. In the normal, everyday Windows desktop world you'll configure it as a start menu on your desktop--if you use it on a touch-screen device you can configure it more as a start-screen by expanding it to fill the screen, if you choose.

Best possibility I've heard so far: it will be *free of charge* to people running Win8.1...;) Man if that is true...that will make my purchase of Win8 Pro in January '13 for $39.99 (direct from Microsoft) the best buy I've in an OS in the last ~30 years!...;)

I wouldn't doubt if ms would come later and say "oh sorry we lied about the desktop coming back, we are now moving forward and adopting a full metro os for here and now on. sorry guys!"

I am really going to abandon windows if this happens. from what I read all the time, Microsoft has little "real" intention of droping metro for the desktop. they are set on their ways I think...

Every time I hear MS people say "Go forward" "Its the future, you don't to be left behind do you" or "Its the future! We've got to move forward together!" All I hear is "Its our way or the highway, now bend over!"

Every time I hear MS people say "Go forward" "Its the future, you don't to be left behind do you" or "Its the future! We've got to move forward together!" All I hear is "Its our way or the highway, now bend over!"

You can switch to Mac OS X anytime you want!

I wouldn't doubt if ms would come later and say "oh sorry we lied about the desktop coming back, we are now moving forward and adopting a full metro os for here and now on. sorry guys!"

I am really going to abandon windows if this happens. from what I read all the time, Microsoft has little "real" intention of droping metro for the desktop. they are set on their ways I think...

They won't because then all those corporations, which are where MS makes it's money, won't be spending any money on a new OS and their goes MS as a business.

I'm really surprised Google hasn't gone after them with that wallpaper... looks exactly like one of the JB/Kitkat Android wallpapers. Or are wallpapers something that isn't really copyrighted, except by maybe the photographer themselves?

They won't because then all those corporations, which are where MS makes it's money, won't be spending any money on a new OS and their goes MS as a business.

I understand what u are saying. But u haven't understood something about ms... They don't understand the seriously of the situation. They are going down and taking everyone with them. They don't know how big themselves are. They are out of touch with the world. With us.

this http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept should have been what windows 8 was like. instead we got a piece of dung. hope windows 9 is better, but they will have to really knock it out of the part to convince me to let go of windows 7.

To be honest, that isn't much better. Granted it isn't the horrible mess that metro is, but it is pretty damn ugly compared to Aero. I really fail to understand this fetish MS recently has with flat ugly UI design. Computers are more powerful than ever and we are getting UI's that look like they were created out of construction paper.

Well, they're going to do what they should have done with Windows 8...they're going to support a start menu that the end user can change to suit himself and his hardware--ie, a touch screen. In the normal, everyday Windows desktop world you'll configure it as a start menu on your desktop--if you use it on a touch-screen device you can configure it more as a start-screen by expanding it to fill the screen, if you choose.

Best possibility I've heard so far: it will be *free of charge* to people running Win8.1...;) Man if that is true...that will make my purchase of Win8 Pro in January '13 for $39.99 (direct from Microsoft) the best buy I've in an OS in the last ~30 years!...;)

if that is the case, I'll happily "upgrade" to it... wonder if my student versions will be eligible...

either way, I'll probably get it through Dreamspark/Professors

That's why I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop since December.
Well that and Win8's Metro interface makes Vista look like a world class OS.
Lol complain about metro interface yet runs Ubuntu with it's unity interface...

Is there a possibility someone was using an old CRT monitor? The screeshot looks like 3:4 instead of 16:9.

You do know that piles of 4:3 LCD monitors exist right? It's not quite 4:3, although that's probably due to image cropping or something along the line rather than anyone having a really odd display.

Nice, I guess I'll figure out how to make this next windows look like Windows 95 just as I do with 8.1 and all Windows OSes before that.. :)

The odd resultion is likely because it was running in a virtual machine with fit-to-window enabled.

The desktop resolution could be anything, since it's matching whatever the user drags the host-window dimensions to.

To be honest, that isn't much better. Granted it isn't the horrible mess that metro is, but it is pretty damn ugly compared to Aero. I really fail to understand this fetish MS recently has with flat ugly UI design. Computers are more powerful than ever and we are getting UI's that look like they were created out of construction paper.

Yep this.
I spend a fair bit of my day looking at it, I want to like looking at it.
The glass effect of Aero makes you feel like the screen has more estate, you feel less out of touch with what is in the background, and it adds a bit of bling.
Sometimes useful information leaks through as well, its not just looks.

At least let us have the choice instead of taking it away entirely dammit.

Not that this should be surprising, but the screenshot has been debunked as a fake.

I agree. That is extremely ugly. I do not see this as much of an improvement over Metro's ugly flat look.

Separate the fcking Desktop OS from the Mobile OS, dumb fckers. How hard is that. I give 2 sh!ts about Microsoft's mobile endeavors.

If the next one doesn't get it done I guess I have to consider spending serious time with Linux to get used to it. Makes my head hurt thinking about it. SteamOS maybe but 2/3 of my games from my backlog will go out the window.

Back