LG Shows Off 18-Inch Flexible, Transparent OLED Display

Nice, I can't wait to start getting folding smartphone/ tablet hybrids.
But the real question is...
Does Apple own a vague enough patent scribbled onto a cocktail sauce covered napkin by a drunken unpaid intern from a company mixer so they can sue?!

Few years down the road when we buy a new TV, it will come rolled up in a tube. 120" OLED TVs....mmmmmm.

Anyone remember the communicators from "Earth: Final Conflict"? I always wanted one of those... Now maybe we can.

I couldn't care less about tablets, flexible or not, but I'd love some OLED 'wallpaper' for my mancave. :)

Who cares how its packaged as long as its big and res full :D
(and lasts a long time)

I would like a phone that can roll into a 5" cylinder and unroll into a 7" screen.

Anyone remember the communicators from "Earth: Final Conflict"? I always wanted one of those... Now maybe we can.

I thought the same thing. Glad to see another E:FC fan :) For those not familiar, here's picture of the device, called a Global on the show. The screen was inserted digitally back then, but this could soon be our reality, only thinner with today's technology :) (the closed unit is actually pretty thick compared to a modern cell phone). It'd be interesting if the screen size can scale when you unspool more of it, like with the Global. Actually, looking back the show's idea of a touch based device that could connect to a global network and perform video calling was a bit prescient of things to come :)

1_eaba1daffb8c5dcd1d4212c999d2e72b.jpg

Global.jpg

readius-cell-phone-final-conflict.jpg

There appears to have been a similar e-ink based cell phone called the Readius a while back, though the screen folded around the brick instead of rolling into it, but it would appear to have gone nowhere, as I've never seen one in the wild. Hopefully a fully-video capable screen will make a Global-like device a practical and well-adopted reality :)

Here is a link to a relatively spoiler free summary of Earth: Final Conflict.

LOL @ the MCI logo on that EFC communicator.

A 12" tablet that I could fold into a wallet and put in my back pocket would be the shiz-nit.

And here I was thinking OLED was dead... or at least the mainstream media was telling me it was.

Back