NZXT Kraken X61 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NZXT Kraken X61 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler Review - NZXT is known to many enthusiasts for its computer cases but not so much for its Kraken series of CPU closed loop liquid coolers. After a year of design NZXT has introduced its new Kraken X61. Its claim to fame is that it is the "world's first variable speed liquid cooler." Let's see what this variable RPM pump does for the new Kraken.

One thing you cannot argue with is NZXT's 6 year warranty on its Kraken series of coolers. In all honesty, we have never heard of any readers' experiences with NZXT warranty services, but a quick search turned up this forum post. But how much is that warranty worth when it comes to paying for the Kraken X61?
I had really good luck with their support when I had a fan controller/hub on my switch 810 stopped working. All they wanted was a copy of the receipt and they sent me a new one free of charge.

I don't see much use in the variable speed pump unless lower speeds could lead to better temps somehow.

The X61 will now fit larger cases thanks to its longer tubing.

You forgot to mention tubing length on the review, which is the same of old X60.

Considering that the Krakens X40/X60 already had the longest tubing of all AiO at 16" and that the 15" of Neptons is enough to bottom mount inside a Super Tower case like a Fulmo GT, what case you have in mind when you said "will now fit larger cases"?

Last edited:
I just cant help but feel like we've reached a complete saturation point with these AIO coolers. They're all made by the same two ODM's and it just comes down to small specification changes that have equally small differences in performance. And with some of these things coming to close to the $150 mark you're legitimately in the ballpark for a "real" watercooling kit.

As long as this AIO system doesn't catch fire like the Glacier 240L or pumps constantly fail like the Swiftech H220, I'll take it.

It seems a shame that you did not test it with the NZXT Kraken GPU cooler assembly.

I just cant help but feel like we've reached a complete saturation point with these AIO coolers. They're all made by the same two ODM's and it just comes down to small specification changes that have equally small differences in performance. And with some of these things coming to close to the $150 mark you're legitimately in the ballpark for a "real" watercooling kit.

Last time I checked the ball park for a "real water cooling kit" is north of $250

Kyle, thanks for the review.

I am particularly interested in the X61 because of the variable speed pump.

Your acoustical comparisons were great but why, when establishing its noise floor, did you not set it to its quietest setting?

Would you be able to repeat the acoustic tests with the variable pump speed on?

Kyle, thanks for the review.

I am particularly interested in the X61 because of the variable speed pump.

Your acoustical comparisons were great but why, when establishing its noise floor, did you not set it to its quietest setting?

Would you be able to repeat the acoustic tests with the variable pump speed on?

Not trying to argue, just curious, why would the pump noise matter? I mean, if you run almost any fan, they will over power the pump noise. I guess if you were hoping to go fanless...?

I thought they were one and the same now.

They are different products the X60 is compatible with the G10 so I would think you should be able to mount this also.

However this is Cpu review as stated by the title so I don't see why the G10 would be included.

Last edited:
Nothing but good things to say about the X40 after 2 years of use, so it's glad to see NZXT isn't doing anything crazy.

They have a good product but just need to trim that price down a little.

Not trying to argue, just curious, why would the pump noise matter? I mean, if you run almost any fan, they will over power the pump noise. I guess if you were hoping to go fanless...?

1) variable speed pump is one of the flagship features of this product... I assume, primarily, for noise reasons. I don't understand why a review as thorough as [H] reviews are wouldn't exercise a marquee feature.

2) It's not true that a fan will always be louder than a pump. Fans and pumps have different sound signatures.

3) Going fanless is a completely viable option.

Last time I checked the ball park for a "real water cooling kit" is north of $250

Then you haven't checked recently... :rolleyes:

or for $20 more, get the 360mm version

I'm not going to pretend that this is the best setup in the world (the pump/res in particular have mixed reviews) and you have to actually build it yourself and maintain it, but it comes with everything you need other than a couple liters of distilled water for only a bit more than one of these "high end" CLC's

I like the premise of the AIO cooler, and from what it sounds like; NZXT is doing well in this regard. But it's as Activate mentioned ... if you're looking at dropping $150 on one of the higher-end offerings in the CLC group, you are doing yourself a absolute disservice by not looking at the XSPC offerings linked if you're an enthusiast. I'm actually looking at purchasing one of these for my setup.

Then you haven't checked recently... :rolleyes:

or for $20 more, get the 360mm version

I'm not going to pretend that this is the best setup in the world (the pump/res in particular have mixed reviews) and you have to actually build it yourself and maintain it, but it comes with everything you need other than a couple liters of distilled water for only a bit more than one of these "high end" CLC's

That does look good.

However the cost to me will be higher.

I'm in canada and frozen PC is a us based company. I will get hit with duty charges sending that across the border so that $150 will now become $200+

Which makes the CLC far more attractive cause I can buy it locally.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xspc-raystorm-d5-ex240-water-13-79207-1198.htm

That is the price for that kit in canada $254.99!!!

Back