LAPD: Stolen Tesla Involved in Police Chase Splits In Half

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know Elon Musk is crapping his pants over this one. You guys have to watch this video. Thanks to cageymaru for the linkage.

A witness told KTLA that the Tesla hit the pole and split in half, and that part of the vehicle landed on top of a white car. Video from the scene showed the Tesla cut in half, and a portion of the vehicle appeared to have crashed into a building at the corner of the street. The other half of the vehicle remained in the roadway and caught fire.

Running away from the police is really dumb. Running away from the police in that everyone already knows is cheaply made, but overpriced a battery-operated, fireball-in-the-making death trap is a total Darwin Award waiting to happen.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Elon Musk, or the Tesla car itself really. Any car that goes airborne at > 100MPH has a good chance of ripping in half, catching fire, and injuring or killing people. The fact that it is a Tesla that was stolen seems largely incidental.

Strangely, the TV news report seem less biased than the [H] post or the replies in this forum.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Elon Musk, or the Tesla car itself really. Any car that goes airborne at > 100MPH has a good chance of ripping in half, catching fire, and injuring or killing people. The fact that it is a Tesla that was stolen seems largely incidental.

That is what I was thinking of when I watched the video.

seriously...you see normal cars split in half all the times when they hit poles sideways, just physx dawg! a quick google will show you ;:trollface:; ;)

Look at the number of cars and objects hit during the chase. I'd say any car of that size would have a difficult time staying together.

I'm shocked that the actual news coverage was less sensational than Steve's strange take on it lol.

yea, title is a bit misleading. as said above 100+ into a TELEPHONE pole, a metal one at that... Any car would split in half, probably most trucks as well.

Strangely, the TV news report seem less biased than the [H] post or the replies in this forum.

I'm shocked that the actual news coverage was less sensational than Steve's strange take on it lol.

Bias? Not sure what you are smoking but the rest of us are commenting on the first Tesla EVER to be in a car chase, get ripped in half with one half of the car embedded in a building while the batteries burn in the street.

And Elon Musk did a press tour over the two cars that caught fire earlier this year, you can imagine him seeing this on the news. Not sure how that is "Steve's strange take." :confused:

Since there are over 35,000 deaths per year from auto accidents per year in the USA alone, I'm sure that out of the 100 fatal crashes per day, a few of those involve splitting in half, but we generally don't broad cast them all over the National news and make a huge deal about it. Oh no, it's a Tesla, lets make a big deal about!

That was my thought as well. I can show photos of many many other cars, both cheap and super expensive, that have been split in half at those speeds. People point at the the Tesla catching fire as an example of a "dangerous" vehicle, but do they realize that the damn thing ran over a large metal object in the road? The same thing could have happened if a gasoline car ran over something like that and the tank was punctured. It HAS happened, statistically many more times than it has with any Tesla vehicles.

I'm not sure why everybody is so hard up on Tesla, if anything I would think most people would be in support of them.

yea, title is a bit misleading. as said above 100+ into a TELEPHONE pole, a metal one at that... Any car would split in half, probably most trucks as well.

Yeah, that's true. The Tesla was never designed to be a fast car so it shouldn't be built to meet any sort of safety standard at all.

Im just going out there saying I've installed industrial light fixtures for stop lights and crap... thats quite a feat... I've never seen one broken in 1/2 like the tesla managed to do. I've seen them dented as hell and bent, not snapped off. I actually tip my hat off to the tesla. We had to replace one in a city in NJ that a f150 smashed into @ 70 mph and the driver was ejected through the windshield that was still standing... Street light fixtures are NOT meant to break, but to reduce the impact in some bullshit scientific way.

Oh no, it's a Tesla, lets make a big deal about!

So you've seen a Tesla crash like this before? You've seen one stolen and involved in a police chase? You seen a Tesla bounced off cars like a pinball machine ending in a crash that has half the car stuck into a building? You've seen the batteries out in the street popping like fireworks?

I thought the whole thing was a first. My bad.

Although you shouldn't expect much left from >100 mph impact, despite hollywood and Tesla fans, gas cars all don't automatically catch fire in every accident they're in. Out of all the accidents you've driven by this year to date, how many turned into Car-B-Q's?

That was my thought as well. I can show photos of many many other cars, both cheap and super expensive, that have been split in half at those speeds. People point at the the Tesla catching fire as an example of a "dangerous" vehicle, but do they realize that the damn thing ran over a large metal object in the road? The same thing could have happened if a gasoline car ran over something like that and the tank was punctured. It HAS happened, statistically many more times than it has with any Tesla vehicles.

I'm not sure why everybody is so hard up on Tesla, if anything I would think most people would be in support of them.

In regards to the "large metal object in the road." I'm talking about the original 'fire' incident here, not this particular crash.

Although you shouldn't expect much left from >100 mph impact, despite hollywood and Tesla fans, gas cars all don't automatically catch fire in every accident they're in. Out of all the accidents you've driven by this year to date, how many turned into Car-B-Q's?

Gas cars catch on fire all the time. To answer your question; Here in Phoenix, I have seen 3 this year alone, and some just randomly catch on fire in parking lots from overheating. Sure they don't usually explode like the movies but they DO catch fire.

I'd say that's a pretty damn good safety record for Tesla, 100+Mph and not one fatality, I was expecting the driver to be dead on the scene. I don't think Elon musk would be crapping his pants at all.

We had a woman here that was in a Dodge Ram 2500 doing about 80-90Km/h that hit the snow bank in middle of the highway, launch over and hit a slow moving semi and it killed her one child in the back, collision didn't even look that damaging to the truck at all.

So you've seen a Tesla crash like this before? You've seen one stolen and involved in a police chase? You seen a Tesla bounced off cars like a pinball machine ending in a crash that has half the car stuck into a building? You've seen the batteries out in the street popping like fireworks?

I thought the whole thing was a first. My bad.

It may be a first, but it's just a car chase ending in a violent crash at 100mph as it should be, nothing interesting there imho.

Just glad that no one died in this one at least, that's lucky.

What I find more amusing is someone trying to outrun the police in an electric car, would be a candidate for stupid criminal of the day award.

It may be a first, but it's just a car chase ending in a violent crash at 100mph as it should be, nothing interesting there imho.

Just glad that no one died in this one at least, that's lucky.

What I find more amusing is someone trying to outrun the police in an electric car, would be a candidate for stupid criminal of the day award.

Why? Gas or electric they'll both have to stop to refuel at some point

I like how they peg 2 of the 6 injured on the Tesla, but they were police officers in their own car who lost control and wrecked themselves.
*thumbs up*
Way to go oil industry, blame the electric cars for the gas car accidents!

I guess this is news... if only by virtue of the fact that its probably the first Tesla involved in a high speed chase. If you think the fact that its a fast car means it should survive 100mph impacts unscathed, or the fact that it doesn't survive intacts means it was built cheaply, you need your head examined... a this ferrari doesn't fare much better guess that means its "cheap"

Yeah, Steve could get a job at Fox News with the headlines he comes up with.

OT: That would happen to any car...and any car could burst into flames if that gas tank/lines rupture.

Yeah, that's true. The Tesla was never designed to be a fast car so it shouldn't be built to meet any sort of safety standard at all.
You do realize that just about all safety standards pretty much end at around 40MPH, no cars are rated for anything much faster than that.

I'd say that's a pretty damn good safety record for Tesla, 100+Mph and not one fatality, I was expecting the driver to be dead on the scene. I don't think Elon musk would be crapping his pants at all.

The fact that the driver was ejected implies that he might not have even been wearing a seat belt, which makes it even more impressive.

Gas cars catch on fire all the time. To answer your question; Here in Phoenix, I have seen 3 this year alone, and some just randomly catch on fire in parking lots from overheating. Sure they don't usually explode like the movies but they DO catch fire.
A gas car can catch fire, so they all almost always do. Nice logic skills.

My cousin split her car in half doing much slower speeds.

Out of the four accidents I've seen... One was a fireball.

I personally would love to see accidents of any high end car. ;). To some poster's points, the guy lived after smashing into a very solid object, that's amazing.

Bias? Not sure what you are smoking but the rest of us are commenting on the first Tesla EVER to be in a car chase, get ripped in half with one half of the car embedded in a building while the batteries burn in the street.

And Elon Musk did a press tour over the two cars that caught fire earlier this year, you can imagine him seeing this on the news. Not sure how that is "Steve's strange take." :confused:

...what has it got to do with Elon Musk or Tesla? Cars get stolen, and cars that drive into solid objects at three times the speed limit don't do well.

The same thing could have happened if a gasoline car ran over something like that and the tank was punctured. It HAS happened, statistically many more times than it has with any Tesla vehicles.

This is bullshit because you compare old shitty cars to new luxury cars. New luxury cars do not catch fire after they run over a trailer hitch. A couple Teslas did.

Back