The Not Tech News Story of the Day

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Like it spells out, right there above, this is not about tech but kinda is...really. We have been doing this HardOCP thing since the mid-90s and we have seen a lot of different trends come and go, but one we are getting invited into lately are "sponsored" stories. This is sort of like what you see on a TV clip show or a Youtube channel that shows you a multitude of different talking heads sharing the same exact story with the same exact headline. Except, where one major media company owns many of those stations, we see people banging on our doors every day to "allow us to share" their story content all for free and we do not have to pick up a finger except to hit the old "post" button. Sounds great right? Not so much. Sadly there is somewhere where journalism, reporting, and editorial go awry. Just something to think about as you slide through the ether on a daily basis.

Man, I like it Kyle actually takes the helm around here!

Don't get me wrong, Steve and the weekend fill ins are great, but you should consider doing a day a week or something Chief.

But what about the one crazy thing that doctors don't want you to know about weight loss? That is for reals, right? I mean I saw it on CNN's site I think... ;)

Good article. I think the good news is that, I hope, most people would be able to figure out a sponsored story even if there were no disclaimer. The bias is so strong for the product and/or service that it's kind of easy to spot them.

As an example, the author of this post has nothing but the best intentions for you. You need to listen to him because he is right every time. If you get confused by this awesome post, re-read it again. There are no downsides. :D

I'd be more upset if the "real" journalism was anything more than dupes parroting whatever their handlers tell them.

A large proportion of journalism today isn't even professional. You have everyone taking on the huffpost model of offering writers "exposure," and quality follows.

It took me a moment to notice it was Kyle doing the news today. No wonder I have liked everything posted...

That is some SERIOUS Adobe Photosh-I mean MSPAINT action there ;)

fear_my_mad_skills_leet_shirt-r67295b5fdb024ccdbab2c95574597ecb_va6lr_512.jpg

I treat all "news" on the major news outlets as "sponsored". News publications are for-profit businesses after all, and every business is going to sell what is profitable.

I'm also very skeptical of reviews owing to payoffs, pressure, and bogus claims. The [H] is one of the only places where a spade is called a spade, which is why I love this site. If something tests out to be utter crap the [H] crew isn't afraid to say so, but more than that, it's backed up with empirical data and that data is provided in the review. Eg, This PSU is crap. Why? That 20% ripple on the 12v rail under 30% load courtesy of the world's worst caps is why. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back here.

Also what I find quite irritating is that

PAID LINK CLICK HERE NOW

the supposed news articles are now

NO REALLY PAID LINK CLICK HERE

interleaved with a constant endless

PLEASE CLICK FOR PAID LINK

stream of hyper-linked paid content

You know what is funny, a huge part of the argument that the traditional press makes against many non traditional media like blogs, and web journalism is that it is of low quality and is not vetted. And many people support this idea. Yet 2 of the biggest news papers in the USA run sponsored articles which is essentially the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliable media.

You know what is funny, a huge part of the argument that the traditional press makes against many non traditional media like blogs, and web journalism is that it is of low quality and is not vetted. And many people support this idea. Yet 2 of the biggest news papers in the USA run sponsored articles which is essentially the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliable media.

The newspapers in this part of Ohio went to hell after being bought out by a Canadian media company.
Honestly, I find more unbiased news on Facebook, Twitter and G+ over the cut and pasye style of news they run.
Makes me feel sorry to see journalism tank like this.

You know what is funny, a huge part of the argument that the traditional press makes against many non traditional media like blogs, and web journalism is that it is of low quality and is not vetted.

The NYT claimed Saddam had WMD and we had to go get him. Unnamed sources, unverifiable bullshit...that's not news.

yeah, well. isn't that exactly what printed magazines have been all about since the dinosaurs?

I will have you know that at no point did dinosaurs ever have printed magazines. They had standards.

Just an occasionally annoying but always informative spot in my day Kyle, especially enjoyable for it's lack of bullshit sponsorship crap. :D

DON'T FK IT UP!!! :cool:

Back