Oculus Suspends Rift Sales in China After "Extreme" Reselling

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You know the reselling abuse had to be really bad to cause Oculus Rift to suspend sales to developers all across the entire country of China. The DK2 kits are meant specifically for developers and not the consumer market.

So, how bad was the reselling in China? “We were forced to suspend an entire country from purchasing," the representative added. "I'll let you put two and two together."

I suggest they just up the price to $3000 and continue. Use the profits to fund retail development, why not?

Might as well get the mobile version pf the oculus rift, only $20.

140625165116-google-cardboard-boxes-620xa.jpg

I agree quiz. Just price gouge China where it wouldn't be worth it for them to deal with trying to resale them. Screw the Indies out there they'd rather sell them than actually develops for them.

As apposed to not being able to get them at all. Which is apparently what you'd rather do.

I'd say not sell them at all. If reselling is that bad, just stop sales there. If they can find out who did the reselling, call them out. Get tons of other indies pissed off at those that did resell. That's why they can't have nice stuff. It has to be pretty bad to stop sales in a whole country. Don't blame OR, blame the indies that screwed it up for everyone else. Just like in 5th grade. The whole class gets in trouble because a few fucked everything up. Now, the whole class is pissed at those few.

If the Chinese can't use the device responsibly then a ban is the right approach ... that way the other developers are not impacted and the Chinese developers can't try to profit on the device before it is ready for launch ;)

and the icing on the cake will be all the craptastic chinese knock off copies that are bound to show up soon.

is there anything in the past 50 years or so they have that isn't stolen or ripped off?

is there anything in the past 50 years or so they have that isn't stolen or ripped off?
  • Hybrid Rice--we're gonna need this or something better to feed 20billion people worldwide in 50 years or so.
  • Artemisinin--best malaria treatment
  • Electronic Cigarette--not as useful as the other 2 :D

• Hybrid Rice--we're gonna need this or something better to feed 20billion people worldwide in 50 years or so.

• Invented by American Dr. Henry M. Beachell in the 1960s, adopted by China later.
    [*]Artemisinin--best malaria treatment
    True, but technically rediscovered, since they literally knew about wormwood from ancient chinese texts.
    [*]Electronic Cigarette--not as useful as the other 2 :D
    Invented by American Herbert A. Gilbert in the 1960s, ripped off by the Chinese.

Since we celebrated 'Murica Day this weekend, just a heads up that the vast majority of inventions in the modern era are actually American.

Invented by American Dr. Henry M. Beachell in the 1960s, adopted by China later.

True, but technically rediscovered, since they literally knew about wormwood from ancient chinese texts.

Invented by American Herbert A. Gilbert in the 1960s, ripped off by the Chinese.

Since we celebrated 'Murica Day this weekend, just a heads up that the vast majority of inventions in the modern era are actually American.

Not gonna bother debating about who indented the e-cigarette because I couldn't possibly care less.

But since you are making statements like your last one quoted above ill point out that, according to the New York Times,
"The inventor of hybrid rice, Yuan Long Ping, 61, a soft-spoken, unassuming man from China's Hunan Hybrid Research Center, has been a rice breeder for 40 years, working informally on hybrids since 1962."

Not gonna bother debating about who invented the e-cigarette because I couldn't possibly care less.

But since you are making statements like your last one quoted above ill point out that, according to the New York Times,
"The inventor of hybrid rice, Yuan Long Ping, 61, a soft-spoken, unassuming man from China's Hunan Hybrid Research Center, has been a rice breeder for 40 years, working informally on hybrids since 1962."

Americans love to steal inventions as much as any other group of people on the planet. We cheat at marathons and steal ancient maps to horde.

It's not a very good sign that developers would rather sell it than develop for it.

Nice strawman. It's not developers that are reselling, because there's no requirement to be a developer to buy one. Its open to public.

Kind of reminds me of how AMD GPU prices went through the roof because of mining.

"If you are an enthusiast, we kindly ask that you wait for the consumer Rift. It will be worth the wait."
People have already been waiting almost two years for them, and they are still not going to have a consumer version out till at 2015 at the earliest.

I suggest they just up the price to $3000 and continue. Use the profits to fund retail development, why not?

why stop there?

I mean, fuck it this shit isn't meant for the serfs and peons of the world, so just make the price $50,000.

That way you can make sure only the 'deserving' people get to use the technology right?

/ro

Back