"Reading Rainbow" Kickstarter Campaign Attracted 105K Backers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It looks like reading really is fundamental and more popular than ever. LeVar Burton’s Kickstarter campaign to reboot the popular PBS series Reading Rainbow ended this week and raised more than five times the original goal.

As the "Reading Rainbow" campaign raised money, it promised integrations on more screens: game consoles like Xbox and PlayStation, set-top boxes and streaming devices like Apple TV and Roku, and mobile devices running Apple's iOS and Google's Android operating systems.

I was one of them. Seems like a neat idea although they were milking the Star Trek Cameos pretty damn hard.

Leave it to the people to better their kids education, thanks obama.

thanks-obama-gif.gif

Less Government involvement is the way it should be. Thanks Obama for not participating in it, one less thing he can fuck up.

Our education system has been a joke long before Obama took office.

Our education system has been a joke long before Obama took office.

There are quite a few factors that can be blamed for our lack of education. I mostly blame it on lack of qualified teachers, TAAS like testing programs that give the schools funding. Dilapidated Infrastructure and overpopulation. Really our whole system needs help.

I gave $35 to the RR campaign and would have done so with or without the Star Trek references. Levar is a great guy and I applaud his 30yr commitment & enthusiasm for helping teach kids to enjoy reading.

As for our education system? Common core needs to go! While I enjoy the idea of setting a minimal "bar" for teaching standards, one should realize that the education system will never deviate or raise above that bar. It's just sad really.

As for our education system? Common core needs to go! While I enjoy the idea of setting a minimal "bar" for teaching standards, one should realize that the education system will never deviate or raise above that bar. It's just sad really.

I saw some Common Core math. It reminded me of that Whole Language crap they were trying to peddle a long time ago. Just another useless gimmick that will probably do more harm than good.

Leave it to aging hipsters to wax nostalgic, when its pointless since, well, internet. E-readers and cheap tablets are a dime a dozen, and there are more books/programs for kids out there already than the market can even bare.

The argument that there was some kind of market vacuum for kid programs is pretty ridiculous. Old peeps pooped out some kids and got excited to see Geordi La Forge, sang the song in their heads, and then threw money at their screens.

Leave it to aging hipsters to wax nostalgic, when its pointless since, well, internet. E-readers and cheap tablets are a dime a dozen, and there are more books/programs for kids out there already than the market can even bare.

The argument that there was some kind of market vacuum for kid programs is pretty ridiculous.

Because every child has access to those things? Or parents who understand the importance of education? The value of shows like this on public-access TV cannot be understated. It's a shame that the original was cancelled.

Less Government involvement is the way it should be.

Then move to Somalia or some other government-free paradise and quit annoying everyone.

I think I'll stay here and live by the Constitution & Declaration of Independence just to piss people like you off. :cool:

Because the constitution says less government is good government?

The Constitution was written specifically because the limited government of the Articles of Confederation failed. It didn't work. Under the Constitution we have a very powerful federal government, the main differences from the monarchies of the time are the addition of the bill of rights to preserve individual liberties and the distribution of powers of a king to three different branches of government. Supreme court justices rule for life, but can only interpret law, the executive branch can't create laws, and the legislative branch can write laws, but not enforce them.

There's nothing in the constitution about the national highway system, NASA, or educational television, but it certainly does not prohibit those things. I think you'd have to be rather blind to argue that they shouldn't exist in any form, or that some sort of libertarian fantasy state that has never existed could do it better.

Because the constitution says less government is good government?

The Constitution was designed to limit government power and protect individuals from the tyranny of majorities and interest-group politics.

Of which comes from Big Government.

Under the Constitution we have a very powerful federal government
Say what? While the constitution did resolve basic inadequacies such as a lack of a leader (president) and no means to collect taxes whatseover, its purpose was still clearly to limit government powers by only granting it those which are enumerated (that has been "reinterpreted" with each generation of politicians grabbing more and more power both on the left and the right), which it did not only in practice at its inception, but was intended to in spirit. After all, the greatest fear of the colonies was that they'd replace one oppressive overbearing big government with another one, but they did see the need for a proper government to ensure cooperation and pay off war debts. It also served to not only openly declare your God given rights as a citizen (something that was not the norm as a subject of the crown) but to list those that are protected from the government by law.

In any case, if the founding fathers rose from their graves dancing to a tune with Michael Jackson, their brains would explode if they saw how insanely powerful and overbearing the government has become, and how loosely the constitution they drafted has been followed, and they would laugh at your proposal that the constitution was drafted about PROHIBITING the things you mention, when its purpose was only to demonstrate what powers the branches of government have (not some "we can replace fossil fuels with firstborn babies, cuz the constitution doesn't tell us we can't and baby fat is high in caloric density" logic).

Back