Fallout 3 Beat In Under 24 Minutes

The geometry bugs in all bethesda games is why they are fun to speed run, or just dick around.

The clipping ruined it and made it pointless. If you're going to exploit bugs, then you may as well just cheat and beat it in 25 seconds.

I just don't get it. To me it's up there with the people that glitch to the top of call of duty scoreboards.

I guess I am not geeky enough to get off on speed runs (besides it offends my sense of gaming OCD) ... even with all its bugs and imperfections I view epic games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion like a fine wine, to be savored and enjoyed slowly as part of a luxurious feast for the senses ... not as a container of Mcnuggets to be gobbled down between TV shows ;)

The clipping ruined it and made it pointless. If you're going to exploit bugs, then you may as well just cheat and beat it in 25 seconds.

A great deal less than that. Use a batch file and load it with finish quest commands. Can beat the whole game in as long as it takes to type "bat a"

Yea these types of speed runs are unappealing to me. Not to mention this game gives me motion sickness to begin with.

What a waste of the game. Hard to understand anyone's fascination with this sort of thing. "It's the journey that counts as much, usually a lot more, than the destination," don't 'ya know...

Yawn. A long way from anything I'd consider to be remotely fun or interesting.

There's a pretty big difference from finding and exploiting game glitches and actually using cheats. It takes some of these speed runners a long time to discover game exploits, so it's not without a level of skill and perceptiveness.

I watched a bunch of the Summer Games Done Quick stream that just ended recently, and it's pretty impressive how people discover these crazy glitches that require split-second timing to pull off. Definitely have a better appreciation for what they do after watching.

Beat it in 24 minutes, beat it in 24 years.

The plot still won't make any sense at all.

I remember car out of nowhere and that killed me. God that game was so buggy.

Speedrunning Fallout 3 is like putting the hog to Kate Upton but hurrying to "get it over with" in five seconds.

There's a pretty big difference from finding and exploiting game glitches and actually using cheats. It takes some of these speed runners a long time to discover game exploits, so it's not without a level of skill and perceptiveness.

Spending a ridiculous amount of time to do something completely unrewarding that could be done instantly by a script does not make you skilled or perceptive.

Spending a ridiculous amount of time to do something completely unrewarding that could be done instantly by a script does not make you skilled or perceptive.

It's pretty obvious you don't know anything about speed running games.

So what I've read about speedrunning is it is basically like Pogs. Stupid unless you really like pogs.

This forum seems to have a strange tendency to write off something they do not understand as useless and unrewarding. :confused:

The aim of speed run is to complete a game in the shortest time possible, doing whatever the game engine allows you to do, whether or not the dev intended for it to be that way. That as well as skillful executions of course, not all games are as broken as Bethesda's. Platformer games for example, requires skillful executions throughout the entire game to set any respectable time, even with bug exploits.

Putting speed running aside, even in normal playing, people do make use of exploit as they see fit, for example item duping in Oblivion. Heck people have use mods to do stuff that some many deem as cheating, for example a mod that allows you to carry extra or unlimited items.

But who's to say it's a wrong way of playing a game? At the end of the day, our aim is just to have fun, and there's no any rules that dictates what we can and cannot do while having fun with video games. Of course in online games, you can't cheat as you are affecting other players now, but in single player games, people are free to enjoy the game however they see fit.

Speed running is just another way of enjoying a game.

I'm more impressed he can run Fallout 3 for 24 seconds without it crashing

There's a mod fof that.
Actually there's a script extender, stutter remover, 4 gig or higher memory addresser, and about a dozen minor fixes that if applied in the correct order, allow you to play for up to 3 hours!
Remember to save before those long wslks between areas!

This forum seems to have a strange tendency to write off something they do not understand as useless and unrewarding. :confused:

The aim of speed run is to complete a game in the shortest time possible, doing whatever the game engine allows you to do, whether or not the dev intended for it to be that way. That as well as skillful executions of course, not all games are as broken as Bethesda's. Platformer games for example, requires skillful executions throughout the entire game to set any respectable time, even with bug exploits.

Putting speed running aside, even in normal playing, people do make use of exploit as they see fit, for example item duping in Oblivion. Heck people have use mods to do stuff that some many deem as cheating, for example a mod that allows you to carry extra or unlimited items.

But who's to say it's a wrong way of playing a game? At the end of the day, our aim is just to have fun, and there's no any rules that dictates what we can and cannot do while having fun with video games. Of course in online games, you can't cheat as you are affecting other players now, but in single player games, people are free to enjoy the game however they see fit.

Wrong? No ... but of very limited and specialized value, probably ... can I go to the most expensive restaurant in town, order the most expensive dishes and wines on the menu, and then gobble them down like I was competing in the Nathan Hot Dog Eating Competition ... certainly, and although I personally might find some value or vindication to justify it, that doesn't necessarily make it a value added activity

If these speed runners are truly as skilled as some would make them out to be then they should work with the modders and the game companies to help fix bugs or troubleshoot games and patches ... THAT would be a value added skill I could get behind :cool:

This is why every game needs a category that doesn't allow OOB. I enjoy watching speedrunning, but OOB abuse usually ruins it for me. During SGDQ I only watched about 10 minutes of the Half-Life 2 run before I stopped. Some games where it is used sparsely can make it interesting, though. I think the newish route for Ocarina of Time Any % is pretty hilarious.

Given the method that was used to beat this game I would consider this speed run illegitimate. Thats just my opinion though, not really sure if there are standards when it comes to that sort of thing.

Stay [H]

Given the method that was used to beat this game I would consider this speed run illegitimate. Thats just my opinion though, not really sure if there are standards when it comes to that sort of thing.

Stay [H]
Speed Demos Archive used to disallow this type of run that abused OOB glitches, but pressure from the community made them start accepting OOB runs. I can't watch the video yet, but I'm sure I would share your opinion.

I know dat dare "official"-sounding-group-that-shall-not-be-named-for-which-you-have-to-pay-exorbitant-amounts-of-money-to-submit-and-view-runs doesn't accept runs that use any sort of glitching at all...

I'm more impressed he can run Fallout 3 for 24 seconds without it crashing

Simple, you have to go into the .ini file and tell the game to only run on 2 Cores. Not only does the game not crash running on 2 Cores, it runs smooth. I am using about 20 mods as well.

Find and open (backup first!) the fallout.ini file in "My Documents\My Games\Fallout3"

Find

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2

The aim of speed run is to complete a game in the shortest time possible, doing whatever the game engine allows you to do, whether or not the dev intended for it to be that way.

Right, while that may be the goal of "speed," it is not the goal of the game...;)

Speedrunning Fallout 3 is like putting the hog to Kate Upton but hurrying to "get it over with" in five seconds.

Hrmm.... I'll give you a few points for not going for the overused car analogy... and then I will take them all away for being worse...

Yep. I agree. I think half the reason I even play games is to muck around with the mechanics and see how far I can push stuff.

Wrong? No ... but of very limited and specialized value, probably ... can I go to the most expensive restaurant in town, order the most expensive dishes and wines on the menu, and then gobble them down like I was competing in the Nathan Hot Dog Eating Competition ... certainly, and although I personally might find some value or vindication to justify it, that doesn't necessarily make it a value added activity

If these speed runners are truly as skilled as some would make them out to be then they should work with the modders and the game companies to help fix bugs or troubleshoot games and patches ... THAT would be a value added skill I could get behind :cool:

Well I wouldn't say that comparison is accurate, as I don't think anyone would attempt to speed run a new game. The games they do are ones that they've played countless of time to the point that there's little value left to replay them in the common way.

Speed run is just a way of adding challenge to a game they enjoy. It's perhaps the most popular way, but certainly not the only way. Games like Final Fantasy X, there are people who tries to complete a game using one character only. It's a strange challenge to most, some enjoys it, and that's really the whole point of playing video games.

As far as how productive such skills are, I wouldn't bring that into video games. Playing video games are not meant to be productive. Some people prefer playing casually, while some prefer to be exceptionally good at it, either way isn't productive and it doesn't have to be.

Simple, you have to go into the .ini file and tell the game to only run on 2 Cores. Not only does the game not crash running on 2 Cores, it runs smooth. I am using about 20 mods as well.

Find and open (backup first!) the fallout.ini file in "My Documents\My Games\Fallout3"

Find

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2

Nice, thanks for posting this. Do you (or anyone) know if setting it to 3 threads works OK when using a 4+ core processor?

So what I've read about *INSERT HOBBY HERE* is it is basically like Pogs. Stupid unless you really like pogs.
Fixed that for you...

Goddamn, a lot of you bastards in here are way too dismissive about hobbies you don't enjoy. Really disheartening to read the amount of hate on a hobbyist website such a this.

Fixed that for you...

Goddamn, a lot of you bastards in here are way too dismissive about hobbies you don't enjoy. Really disheartening to read the amount of hate on a hobbyist website such a this.

I like speed runs, TBH. I just don't like watching save game geometry exploits. I mean, there really isn't much gameplay involved with this thing.

Back