Serious Security Threat Lurks On 86% Of Android Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
As bad as this may sound, at least there is a patch out now. :eek:

A bug in the Android KeyStore left an estimated 86 percent of Android phones vulnerable to major security breaches, according to an advisory IBM researchers published last week. The researchers discovered the problem nine months ago, but waited until the Android Security Team came up with a patch for Android KitKat, which is now available.

"To actually carry out an attack, would-be malicious hackers would have to overcome Android's software protections, including coding and data executing prevention."

This little blurb is important. Im on a nexus so I am up to date but for those who aren't, this is a bug that makes the 3rd lock in the chain potentially vulnerable. Nobody has figured out those first two locks you you are still safe.

Not buying it. How could this be the case given that Android is vastly superior to iOS in every form and fashion?

I'm calling bullshit.

I also received the update last week on my Nexus 5. I wasn't to worried anyways as Space_Ranger pointed out, but I guess there is some level feeling more secure. Kit Kat is on just about every one of my friends smartphones at this point. Won't be long before most Android phones are patched. Soon the ones that aren't will likely get replaced by newer phones.

Google really needs to tighten shit up on the Android Platform.

"To actually carry out an attack, would-be malicious hackers would have to overcome Android's software protections, including coding and data executing prevention."

This little blurb is important. Im on a nexus so I am up to date but for those who aren't, this is a bug that makes the 3rd lock in the chain potentially vulnerable. Nobody has figured out those first two locks you you are still safe.

Good point. My biggest issue with Android (and one I think Google is trying to address) is the fragmentation. Because name-brand phones are locked to their specific skinned (bloated) versions, it takes forever (if it happens) for a patch to work down the pipe. In fact, phone makers seem to abandon any newer revisions within a month of release. Couple that with "carrier" versions and you're lucky to get a patch 6 months out.

It's why Google has all of these new programs (Silver / One) to address the issue.

Ironically, the small teams of developers for each phone provide better support than the manufacturers. They can whack out a new release with a patch within a day or two.

I'd like to see it go this way:
- If using Google's version of Android (ie: not Samsung's new one, or Amazon), the base OS is stock
- Manufacturers develop their "apps" like you would (Launcher, extras, etc), these are then installed via store (one whole app)
- Carriers then provide their "apps" like the manufacturers.

So when you get a new phone, it may have everything installed by default. But doing a factory reset, you get prompted with " Samsung(example) would like to install apps" and "T-Mobile (example) would like to install apps" during setup.

They've noticed and are addressing it. http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-silver-everything-you-need-to-know-1246714

Only thing that has changed since that article is that it came out Nexus will not be stopped. It's just taking a short break.

Yeah, this! Only Google or companies that pay Google should be a risk to the security of your phone. People using security exploits are totally not profitable for the all seeing eye and need to go diaf. :)

Not buying it. How could this be the case given that Android is vastly superior to iOS in every form and fashion?

I'm calling bullshit.

Aww another witty want to be attack.... You are too cute.

So when you get a new phone, it may have everything installed by default. But doing a factory reset, you get prompted with " Samsung(example) would like to install apps" and "T-Mobile (example) would like to install apps" during setup.

Bought the wife & kid a Nexus phone.
Using them on T-Mobile, so I loaded a couple of the T-Mobile apps.

Like the clean Google phone better than my S3, to the point that I eventually replace it with a Nexus phone, even though the Nexus doesn't have an SD card.

Back