Buying Advice - BENQ BL2710BT or EIZO model ?

tiredeyes

n00b
I never knew searching for a monitor was more difficult than abstaining from masturbation... :confused:

I'm looking for a second monitor to go with a standing desk. I had lasik and am sensitive to blue light and very sensitive to PWM (just found out what this is). I normally run f.lux on my MBP 17in at 4200k during the day and 2300-2700k at night.

I'm on the computer 4-12 hours, depending on the day, from bright to completely dark conditions, doing mostly internet research and writing with some spreadsheet work. Colors aren't as important as readability of text.

I bought an ASUS PB278Q and returned it due to nasty headaches from PWM. It was ok on 100% brightness regarding PWM, but still too bright even with my raybans on. :(

Since then I've been searching TFT and Prada and this forum trying to choose a better option, and in my market (Russia) I've narrowed it down to:

Benq BL2710BT
USD$570

EIZO EV2736W
$1030

EIZO EV2436W
$570

EIZO EV2336W
$441

I want to figure out which option is easiest on the eyes for office work in varied lighting conditions - #1 priority. I also like the larger 27 in screen, price and higher than the benq minimum brightness setting is the only thing keeping me from buying the EIZO EV2736 already. So money is important but not as important as saving my eyes, and if I need to I'll sell a kidney for the EIZO. :eek:

Benq BL2710BT
+gets the dimmest with no PWM of these choices
+lighter antiglare coating
- would buy it immediately if I knew the screen was as good as the EIZOs

EIZO EV2736W
-lighter antiglare coating
-not sure if screen is as good as BenQ

EIZO EV2436W
-heavier antiglare coating, I assume it blurrs text a bit

EIZO EV2336W
-lighter antiglare coating

Anybody with similar sensitivity have experience comparing these? Recommendations?

This weekend I almost bot the EV2436, then I read about the heavier, grainier antiglare, then today I almost spent the day going after the Benq, but spent it searching online instead to make sure my choice wasn't going to backfire.

No returns possible and viewing monitors in the shop is really, really difficult for me, at least 4 hour commitment for 2 people. If I buy one of these and it doesn't work I'll have to sell and lose at least 30%.

Last edited:
The no return thing is really rough. I'd recommend the Eizo but with a no return policy I'd probably be too scared myself. Eizo has bad qc. The benq isn't any surer of a bet though. I'd probably get an AOC Q2770PQU instead.

If your only issue with the Asus is PWM then get the BenQ. The Eizo has some advantages like no glow but it's not worth twice the price since you didn't mention glow as an issue.

The EV2436W uses LG's old, grainy matte coating. The BL2710PT is the best option since it can get the dimmest, is semi-glossy and the color presets are only slightly worse than the Eizo's once the gamma is set to mode 2. The EV2736W uses 220hz PWM when the brightness is set below 20% and is not worth twice as much.

Best 2560x1440 Monitor thread with review links.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I saw your responses just when I entered the store today. For once I'm not second guessing myself on a purchase :D

I went for the BenQ, didn't even test the EIZOs. They said I could buy one and test it, and if I had an issue return it immediately. I tried the BenQ first and it was really easy on the eyes. Compared to my macbook it's much easier to look at. So I just got it, really impressed with the minimum brightness settings. The panel seems to be completely uniform and no dead pixels. So no complaints. The only thing that doesn't feel great right now are the buttons, I prefer the manual clicks.

Standard mode seems to work well for me, but I'm also running f.lux.

I'll post again with impressions after I get some more experience with it.

Sweet. I'm always kinda nervous recommending monitors for anyone. Anytime anyone gets a bad monitor around here it's NCX's fault :D

Very, very happy with the BenQ. It's crystal clear, easy on the eyes, visually much better than my 17 in macbook pro.

The buttons are a little iffy, sometimes they take a few presses to activate, so changing the brightness isn't as efficient as could be.

It's just so much crisper and more pleasant than the ASUS. Like 100,000 times.

Thanks again for the advice!!!!

Back