Microsoft Ends 'Patch Tuesday' Email Alerts

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Signed up to receive notifications in advance of releases for Patch Tuesdays? Come July 1st, you will have to muddle through like the rest of us and depend on RSS feeds and the advance notifications we issue here. Microsoft will end its email notifications next week.

Notice to IT professionals:
As of July 1, 2014, due to changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging, Microsoft is suspending the use of email notifications that announce the following:
* Security bulletin advance notifications
* Security bulletin summaries
* New security advisories and bulletins
* Major and minor revisions to security advisories and bulletins

What are these "changing government policies"? I'd like to know what they are and what the increased burden on Microsoft is, and so I know if this is a fair move, or just another bad one.

I've seen so many unfriendly-to-enterprise-IT practices by Microsoft in the past 2-3 years though, that I'm sad rather than surprised. It used to be their bread and butter, and now I wonder if they care any more.

Apparently it's Canada's Anti-Spam law, which goes into effect July 1.

Bulletins aren't spam... and one can unsubscribe from them.

Do not get it...

The Nigerian princes aren't going to stop spamming, this is only going to end up hurting legitimate companies and not what it's targeting... REAL spam. Thanks Canada.

so then your tam is just going to forward teh alert via email.. brillant gov't policy. I would like to know which policies that are.

Apparently it's Canada's Anti-Spam law, which goes into effect July 1.
With fines in the millions of dollars., Microsoft's response to the Canadian anti-spam legislation makes sense.

Bulletins aren't spam... and one can unsubscribe from them.

Do not get it...

The Nigerian princes aren't going to stop spamming, this is only going to end up hurting legitimate companies and not what it's targeting... REAL spam. Thanks Canada.
Real spammers don't give two shits about laws, they'll just bounce around places avoiding any prosecution.

Back