The Rarest, Most Expensive Video Games in the World

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Got a thing for exotic video games; like the ones that can bring in the big bucks on the open market? Check out the list made up by the guys over at RacketBoy and then tear apart your closets and attics to see if you still have any of them just sitting around gathering dust. Nostalgia is great, but cold cash in hand is even better. :D

From golden Nintendo cartridges to games that let you play as an 8-bit Moses crossing the Red Sea, we've tabulated the rarest and most expensive games of all time.

Ok so the "rarest" game is one where a company only made one copy, which basically says it sucked so we didn't want to pay for production, and bammo it's worth a lot?

I've got a golden card of Ocarina of Time for N64 still in the plastic somewhere (I had received the game twice, once from each parent that xmas, and played the gray one.) Wonder if that will have value some day. Since mine might have a few creases or something on the plastic, looks like its around $500 on ebay. Meh.

I remember the original Legend of Zelda in the gold cart, opened that bad boy up and was like "Oooooo *blows in the cart* ooooh" but I think they all were gold, or at least the first production run.

I feel sorry for the idiots dumping money into this. All six of them.

I feel the same way. It seems rediculous to hold onto the nostalgic value of a cartridge/disk and the required equipment to play it; when on one's own phone can hold a thousand or more roms + emulation software on a single 8GB Micro SD card for all of $9.95. Gee, a thousand game collection the size of my pinkie's finger nail for $9.95 or $500.00 for a gold Zelda:OoT cartridge and the need to carry around either a gameboy like device or n64 everywhere I go.

Some items are rare like a gold and grey nintendo world championship cartridges. Most are not. I used to own one nes game called zombie nation. Wish I had kept it, sells for 200$ now. I think I traded it in and had 50$ credit towards a dreamcast. It was a good trade back then.

Emulation is great and all, but it isn't always perfect by any stretch. Sometimes the best way to play something is on the original gear.

Emulation is great and all, but it isn't always perfect by any stretch. Sometimes the best way to play something is on the original gear.

In some cases, emulation though is vastly superior. Like the most popular PS1 and PS2 emulator running FF7-9 respectively and FF10, 11, 10-X2, 12, etc can apply 8xAA and 16xAF the original PS2 did not have and render at a higher native resolution. Both emulators result in a much better overall picture quality than the original hardware. There may be a small glitch or two but its pretty much hands down emulation is generally superior at this point; akin to asking if a pc-version of a game or console version will be best. In 95% of the situations, we know which will be best ;) :D

The English version of KoF2000 only has 100 known copies? There were totally two of those machines at my local arcade back in the day.

And to think I about died paying $300 for a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn a few months ago for my birthday!

I wonder how much a copy of that recalled cricket game from a earlier this year would go for due to being rare and maybe only 1 person still having a copy of it. Maybe the creator of it could release another copy ir two into the wild to a shell company and sell them to somebody out there for $30000 being rare games

I feel the same way. It seems rediculous to hold onto the nostalgic value of a cartridge/disk and the required equipment to play it; when on one's own phone can hold a thousand or more roms + emulation software on a single 8GB Micro SD card for all of $9.95. Gee, a thousand game collection the size of my pinkie's finger nail for $9.95 or $500.00 for a gold Zelda:OoT cartridge and the need to carry around either a gameboy like device or n64 everywhere I go.

Could say this about anything really. People have their extreme love for a hobby, and nothing will change that. May seem stupid at the moment, but if I had 20 grand to blow on something that will basically just sit there so I can be happy inside and possibly brag about it, you bet your ass I'd do it in a heartbeat. :eek:

And to think I about died paying $300 for a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn a few months ago for my birthday!

It absolutely kills me that I used to own this game as I had bought it when it came out.

I lent it to my cousin and never saw discs 1-3 ever again :mad:

At least I still have the case, manual, disc 4,and the 3 cardboard sleeves....but what good does that do!

It absolutely kills me that I used to own this game as I had bought it when it came out.

I lent it to my cousin and never saw discs 1-3 ever again :mad:

At least I still have the case, manual, disc 4,and the 3 cardboard sleeves....but what good does that do!

I bought that game the day it came out. For some reason the only copy the store had was a used one...got it anyway, and I'll gladly take that game to the grave with me. Just beautiful!

In some cases, emulation though is vastly superior. Like the most popular PS1 and PS2 emulator running FF7-9 respectively and FF10, 11, 10-X2, 12, etc can apply 8xAA and 16xAF the original PS2 did not have and render at a higher native resolution. Both emulators result in a much better overall picture quality than the original hardware. There may be a small glitch or two but its pretty much hands down emulation is generally superior at this point; akin to asking if a pc-version of a game or console version will be best. In 95% of the situations, we know which will be best ;) :D

I agree with most of what you're pointing out, but your statement only stands on visual quality. I also like when I get to hear the audio as it was intended. It's my experience that emulation often introduces oddities to audio that I am unwilling to deal with :(

I agree with you guys.
It's like how stupid coin collectors spend money on rare coins. 1909 double-die penny? Its worth a penny!!
/sarcasm

I've got a golden card of Ocarina of Time for N64 still in the plastic somewhere (I had received the game twice, once from each parent that xmas, and played the gray one.) Wonder if that will have value some day. Since mine might have a few creases or something on the plastic, looks like its around $500 on ebay. Meh.

maybe 200-300 bucks at most.

The English version of KoF2000 only has 100 known copies? There were totally two of those machines at my local arcade back in the day.

They are probably talking about home cartridges. SNK went bankrupt after Kof2000 but Playmore kept producing games until 2004. Piracy was a big deal for the Neo Geo towards the end though, it's a very good chance that the later cartridges were emulated or fake.

Back