Yahoo CEO Apologizes For Being Late To Advertiser Dinner

HardOCP News

[H] News
At least she is honest. Most people would have faked an illness and blown the event off entirely. :D

Mayer was scheduled to attend a private dinner held by IPG, or Interpublic Group, one of the "big four" ad firms in the world. The event, which was attended by some of the biggest ad executives in the world, as well as marketers at other major Web brands, was Mayer's best opportunity to rub shoulders with the people who ultimately pay her to run ads on her company's network of sites. Although Mayer was able to make the dinner, she arrived two hours late after oversleeping.

I don't think that practice has lived on past the 80's. I know a few big CEO's still chase the white rabbit from time to time.

There corrected it.

I think that practice has lived on past the 80's. I know a few big CEO's still chase the white rabbit from time to time

i wish someone would have recorded her apology on video. Would love to see it.

I was expecting this to be a story about her apologizing to shareholders because Yahoo hasn't been as insidious as Google, MS, Apple etc at tracking, monitoring & recording people's internet activity.

I thought that CEOs only get up for office golf.

She's the only one falling asleep. It's not the work or the job. It's just her being stupid and a lazy ass.

I get how you can oversleep a breakfast meeting...but how do you oversleep a dinner by 2 hours?

I get how you can oversleep a breakfast meeting...but how do you oversleep a dinner by 2 hours?

Maybe an after work romp with her handsome subordinate. Two hours sound about right and it's hard to stop in the heat of the moment.

There's a 8 hour difference between France and California.

Of course considering she's the CEO of a huge international company, and is making tens of millions of dollars, you'd think she'd have an assistant who wouldn't let that happen.

Does Yahoo feel like the current era's "AOL" to anyone else? One of those companies that you don't know how they stay in business just from little old ladies on Windows XP having their homepage set to yahoo since 2001.

Yahoo is definitely the AOL of the modern web. Ever since Google started providing good search results, Yahoo has been pretty pointless.

Yahoo is definitely the AOL of the modern web. Ever since Google started providing good search results, Yahoo has been pretty pointless.

Their only profitable product (if you compare values against Yahoo's market valuation) is something they don't even operate (Ali Baba). They're selling off their shares which means.... timber!!!!

WTF is wrong with her? Can anyone be a CEO of Yahoo now? Wonder if they just draw names out of a hat so everyone gets a turn. HUE HUEHEHE HEH!

I think when they hired her the assumption was that she would bring some of Google's stardust with her to reinvent the company. But she was hardly a miracle maker at Goog, and really just more lucky to have been in the right place at the right time as one of the original Goog employees.

I'm sure she's intelligent and she had some successful projects at Goog but it hardly makes for a visionary CEO.

WTF is wrong with her? Can anyone be a CEO of Yahoo now? Wonder if they just draw names out of a hat so everyone gets a turn. HUE HUEHEHE HEH!

So a dumb laugh disqualifies her from Yahoo? Lol...that being said, the always late thing definitely is a huge negative. Blowing off meeting the CEO of Unilever? You're the head of Yahoo, not Bank of America :p That's also a huge personal pet peeve of mine; my time is valuable as well, as is the 5-10 other people in the damn room.

So a dumb laugh disqualifies her from Yahoo? Lol...that being said, the always late thing definitely is a huge negative.
No, the simple ability of her to manage her time on a regular basis, and to be two hours late to an evening dinner due to sleeping in with a group of very important clients and being flippant about it? I would have grazed myself in the leg with a 9mm, stiched it up myself, and blamed it on a random one armed puerto rican or something. Her inability to speak publically without sounding like a retard is icing on the cake. And calling "consuming her own products as eating dog food" to the public? Wow. Again, think about how much she is paid, then tell me you think she's earning it.

I just find it hard to believe that she is one of the top 0.002% of the population that is most qualified of being CEO to a major company. I have a strong feeling they saw her blonde mug shot and thought ooh we can show her off as a powerful business woman, shoot her up the management chain!

CEO 101 - BUY EVERY COMPANY IMAGINABLE TO BOOST YOUR OWN COMPANIES POOR PERFORMANCE AND PRODUCTS

^ Edit: Other than the article mentioned in this thread. Or is it because of this one incident that Google implemented that Easter egg?

"Late." I don't get it, unless she has a punctuality problem. :confused:
Most articles say she's always late: http://www.businessinsider.com/marissa-mayer-has-a-bad-habit-of-being-late-all-the-time-2013-1

Mayer "blew off" a one-on-one meeting with the CEO of Unilever, one of Yahoo's most important clients

"Everybody had to publicly sit outside her office and she would see people in five minute increments. She would make VPs at Google wait for her."

"There has not been a single meeting or event here that since she has taken the helm, she arrives on time, not one," this person wrote.

"The amount of wasted time and anger building up from her lack of caring or understanding that it isn't just her time that matters is astounding. She is routinely over an hour late for things."

Another black eye for Yahoo. It'll be back to the drawing board for them where they go on to select another loser for a modern day AOL :).

The CEO doesn't matter. Their only job is to not screw things up. Yahoos main problem is incompetent engineering and marketing.

Back