Sony “Danced In The Aisles” When They Heard The Xbox One Price

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony's Head of Worldwide Studios America says he was dancing in the aisles and high-fiving when Microsoft announced the price for the Xbox One.

"I'm not gonna lie. I remember exactly where I was," Rohde told Ars. "We were in press conference rehearsals last year. We had a feeling they were going to come in at $499, but we weren't sure. So yeah, we were dancing in the aisles and high-fiving. It was great. Anyone that came in on an interview, it didn't matter what the question was, I could always just answer it with $399. It was the answer to every question."

Counting his egg's before they hatched I see? The console is doing well, but there's nothing until 2015. And the stock is taking a nose dive compared to Microsoft's.

"Why does the PS4 have no games worth playing."

"$399."

"$399."

The Xbone doesn't have a stellar line up either, in fact, neither of the consoles have anything worth buying them for (and I say this owning both). All I use em for is playing movies, pathetic.

The Xbone doesn't have a stellar line up either, in fact, neither of the consoles have anything worth buying them for (and I say this owning both). All I use em for is playing movies, pathetic.

Did they finally add in all the features for movie watching? I thought they didn't even have all the audio codecs supported for quite some time...

Neither has a stellar line up. Though the PS4 will have the edge in all upcoming multiplat's.

Did they finally add in all the features for movie watching? I thought they didn't even have all the audio codecs supported for quite some time...

not on ps4. paid streaming services are there, but no DLNA support, no mp3 support. unacceptable imo. i've used my ps4 for a total of 4 hours, i believe. supposed to be coming in the 1.72 update, but we'll see i guess..

Opinion are great aren't they?

Not sure what your talking about? Neither really beats a stand alone player. Kind of funny though I put a Sony pictures bluray in my ps4 today and it wouldn't load past the menu loading bar popped it in the Xbox one loaded right up. Go figure.

not on ps4. paid streaming services are there, but no DLNA support, no mp3 support. unacceptable imo. i've used my ps4 for a total of 4 hours, i believe. supposed to be coming in the 1.72 update, but we'll see i guess..

1.72 is out it was all about "that stability"

1.72 is out it was all about "that stability"

ya go figure :rolleyes: guess i'll just accept it'll probably never get dlna support at this point. which is a shame, because that's what my ps3 does 95% of the time.

plex media server works, via the browser. but it's a pretty clunky solution.

There are a few lan centers here in Kansas City. When the PS4 came out along with the Xbox One, they put in 10 new TV's and Chairs, 5 x PS4 and 5 x XBoxe Ones. I was there last week and saw they had taken out 3 x Xbox Ones and replaced them with PS4's. So they are down to just 2 Xbox Ones out of I think around 30 gaming stations.

Saw a thing where Sony is saying they are getting a massive amount of Xbox One customers. Not sure how they arrive at those numbers but I believe it.

Hope Xbox One can turn things around. Competition is good

The XBone isn't great for Codec's at this time. I just setup a smaller PC hooked up to my TV, now with steam in home streaming. It is pretty great with only a few bugs, but if they hammer it out Consoles will be history, at least in my home.

Dunno about PS4, but you still can't play your own media or at least videos on Xbone. My friend is constantly complaining about it. Kinda took the wind out of the whole "external storage support" Microsoft were congratulating themselves for finally getting around to adding.

Why does the PS4 cost less then it does to make?

$399

Why do we now need to pay to access online multiplayer?

$399

Will the browser me updated unlike the PS3?

$399

What's $199.5 plus 199.5?

$399

A lower price is great but it's software that sells hardware. Neither system has enough of it.

People have called the Wii U dead in the water but it's currently the only system that's really coming into its own. I was already set on a PS4 this summer but Mario Kart and the recent Nintendo Direct changed all that. The PS4 will have to wait.

A lower price is great but it's software that sells hardware. Neither system has enough of it.

People have called the Wii U dead in the water but it's currently the only system that's really coming into its own. I was already set on a PS4 this summer but Mario Kart and the recent Nintendo Direct changed all that. The PS4 will have to wait.

There's a few games on the Wii U that finally have me looking in its direction. Usually though I wait a few years before I buy a new console. I require hella prices drops, a lot more games that make owning the system worth it, and newer hardware revisions, cuz we all know that the hardware Sony and Microsoft make are shit and prone to a variety of issues. Every console launch is always the same, there's never enough good games to warrant purchasing the system for. And it stays like that for a while.

I always take care of my PC before I even start looking at consoles. My goal for this year is X99 and Haswell-E. I'm long overdue for an upgrade to my 4-year-old gaming rig. It's definitely new system time.

I honestly don't think DLNA is coming to PS4 until 2.0 along with a folder naming scheme and themes. Everything up until then will be "stability" fixes.

The PS4/One have good libraries but they won't even begin to come into their own until 2015. It takes awhile, it took Nintendo a year and three months iirc to start getting some good titles. IMO starting with DKC: TF, I don't count TW101 :p

I still don't see any reason to upgrade past my PS3. I just it mostly for amazon/Netflix and once I actually watched a blue ray on it. After the Last of Us, Heavy Rain, and I am working on the Drakes series I don't see much to play. So PC still gets my time mostly.

When I look at the consoles this is how I see them ( i own all 3 cause im lame ):

PS4:
MLB the Show
Infamous Second Son
Better Multiplats

XboxOne:
Dead Rising 3 (coming to PC but ill count it)
Titanfall (out on PC but ill count it)
Forza 5
Killer Instinct

Wii U:
Super Mario 3D World ( <-- absolutely amazing game! )
Mario Kart
Pikmin 3
NSMB:U
Wonderfull 101

"$399."

This is the only reason I don't buy one.

I know I will eventually get a PS4. I just couldn't justify the $400 and no games I wanted to play.

The thing is jumping up and down dancing while they may have been right, I would think they would now be a bit worried, as the one advantage they had is now gone. PS4 got a jump start and a half a year later, I don't see games coming out for the PS4 that are big titles in a timely fashion. It isn't console sales I would be worried about.

Granted it is just my opinion, I'm sure Playstation fanboys would think the opposite. I'm not an Xbox fanboy, I will own both. I just preferred the launch titles the XO had.

The whole performance advantage they boast is slim at best. I'm not talking specs, I'm talking about performance. If you take a look at Forza 5, it is polished racing title, probably the most polished next gen title between the two consoles. The thing the XO has that intrigues me is the Azure cloud, and the Smartglass app. The Azure cloud will be doing things the PS4 can't do which adds immersion into the game. The Smartglass app for Dead Rising 3 was really cool, you get calls that come in and give you bonus quests. You can call in strike ops, unlock equipment chests, etc. With about everyone owning a smartphone or tablet device it is a freebie compared to dropping cash on a PSVita, which I do have. I just wish more games used the smartglass app.

I just think that jumping up and down dancing is a little premature.

This is the only reason I don't buy one.

I know I will eventually get a PS4. I just couldn't justify the $400 and no games I wanted to play.

The thing is jumping up and down dancing while they may have been right, I would think they would now be a bit worried, as the one advantage they had is now gone. PS4 got a jump start and a half a year later, I don't see games coming out for the PS4 that are big titles in a timely fashion. It isn't console sales I would be worried about.

Granted it is just my opinion, I'm sure Playstation fanboys would think the opposite. I'm not an Xbox fanboy, I will own both. I just preferred the launch titles the XO had.

The whole performance advantage they boast is slim at best. I'm not talking specs, I'm talking about performance. If you take a look at Forza 5, it is polished racing title, probably the most polished next gen title between the two consoles. The thing the XO has that intrigues me is the Azure cloud, and the Smartglass app. The Azure cloud will be doing things the PS4 can't do which adds immersion into the game. The Smartglass app for Dead Rising 3 was really cool, you get calls that come in and give you bonus quests. You can call in strike ops, unlock equipment chests, etc. With about everyone owning a smartphone or tablet device it is a freebie compared to dropping cash on a PSVita, which I do have. I just wish more games used the smartglass app.

I just think that jumping up and down dancing is a little premature.

Nope. The performance difference is that significant. There is no way to whitewash it any other way. Go look at some indepth architectural comparisons between the two. XONE made some stupid decisions.

I remember the audio issue for the Xbox One was that Dolby Digital didn't work at launch. I just used DTS. I believe this now works since March or April update.

Neither console supports MP3's or digital media to be imported, supposedly in the works for both.

You can't play music over games as you could on the 360, I believe this is in the works though.

One thing I can say for sure, the Xbox One has had monthly patches fixing things and adding functionality. For a company that didn't launch with everything at least Microsoft has been very productive updating/patching. I think the determination of Microsoft because they came out the underdogs is going to pay out for them. Sony is just dancing around laughing not pushing out frequent updates improving what they didn't have at launch. MS may catch Sony while they are just sleeping/partying.

It does come down to gameplay, I know there is a post above this post but after your question. Nintendo looks to have some great titles, I just can't justify the $300 price tag when I could get a PS4 for $400. If the Wii-U were say $200 I might bite.

From what I read, both Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are greatly disappointed with next gen sales. But Sony is clobbering Microsoft on numbers just the same.

There's no incentive to upgrade. Microsoft doesn't offer backwards compatibility. And it cost an arm and leg. Sony's library for dedicated PS4 games, like Microsoft's stinks.

If I were Sony or Microsoft, I would cut licensing fees to $1.00/game if they make the game a next gen exlusive, or $2.00/game if the game demonstrates clear advantages on the new platform.

Nope. The performance difference is that significant. There is no way to whitewash it any other way. Go look at some indepth architectural comparisons between the two. XONE made some stupid decisions.

Well I guess it comes down to games and gameplay, and the Xbox One to me has great titles that look good enough. Forza 5 to me 'looks' better than any title the PS4 offers. I guess all those developers working on multiplatform titles are wrong.

Basically, perhaps it's just you don't see the big picture. Or PS4 is not optimized by software to use all the power it possesses from the "architecture".

There are things behind the scenes like the cloud that offload calculations done from the console to boost performance from server side. There is also Direct3D 12 which is exclusive to the Xbox One. For what it is worth I believe Microsoft is getting more out of what little they supposedly have.

Basically, perhaps it's just you don't see the big picture. Or PS4 is not optimized by software to use all the power it possesses from the "architecture".

There are things behind the scenes like the cloud that offload calculations done from the console to boost performance from server side. There is also Direct3D 12 which is exclusive to the Xbox One. For what it is worth I believe Microsoft is getting more out of what little they supposedly have.

Hahaha. The power of the cloud :rolleyes:

It's a console launch. There are some hardcore Forza (XB1 exclusive) fans and some hardcore sports gamer fans (think FIFA, multiplatform) who have purchased the new consoles. Destiny has the potential to sell a lot of consoles but I don't think it will. Little Big Planet 3 will help sell a lot of PS4s. Halo Master Chief Edition will sell a ton of Xbox Ones, as will Halo 5 in 2015.

In any case, it's clear that Sony has won the race for early adopters by a fair margin, though I believe both are not moving as fast as people had thought.

Sony should reduce the price for PS4 to get even more appealing.. Perhaps Threeeee-Fiddy?

They're already loosing money on the PS4, putting it at $350 would make them loose even more.

I thought they were making money on the consoles now? That's what I read at least. But I don't know where now haha

Back