Nintendo Loses Wii Motion Controller Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thank you Mario! But your patents are in another castle! You have to appeal!

Judge Colin Birss said a Nintendo unit infringed two Philips patents in a ruling today. Nintendo, the world’s largest maker of video games, didn’t violate a third patent pertaining to modeling a body in a virtual environment, Birss said. “The common general knowledge did not include a device combining a physical motion sensor with a camera and the reasons advanced by Nintendo for putting those two sensors together in one unit are unconvincing,” Birss wrote in the decision at the U.K. High Court.

SO has Phillips actually done anything with their silly patents?

Patents are in general.. really stupid. A patent should not be granted unless a working prototype is demonstrated within 6-months of the application.

Patents are in general.. really stupid. A patent should not be granted unless a working prototype is demonstrated within 6-months of the application.

Agreed. We did get the Supreme Court saying that patenting "abstract" ideas are invalid, so maybe eventually we will reach something like this.

Many years ago I was under the impression that you needed a prototype. If I had known then you didn't, I would have patented several ideas I had back then. Sadly, many of them are now products, while others I no longer condone the use of. :(

Agreed, anyone can draw something on a piece of paper and claim it will work. Just to wait for someone years later to actually do it then say the idea was yours.

Back