Verizon Interested in Buying Dish Network’s Spectrum

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Shady backroom meetings and flat denials of any deals in the works can only mean that there must be a deal on the table between Verizon and Dish Network. ;) Verizon has reportedly been in talks with Dish to purchase a large chunk of Dish Network’s spectrum.

Buying spectrum from a private company may be Verizon's best shot at increasing its spectrum holdings. Plus, much of Dish’s spectrum is complementary to spectrum Verizon presently owns.

It's a good move for Verizon since they are trailing in spectrum right now ... however, since DISH is one of the potential suitors for T-Mobile if the government turns down the Softbank merger proposal I don't think they will rush into a sale

Is Verizon buying spectrum to use, or just to keep anyone else from having it?

The FCC forced Verizon to sell it's 700mhz block A spectrum earlier this year, because they they had just sat on it for 3 years without ever using it, how do we know this won't be more of the same?
Unlike the block A spectrum, any spectrum bought from Dish won't come with a "use it or lose it" clause, so there is nothing stopping Verizon from buying it and then just sitting on it forever.

Is Verizon buying spectrum to use, or just to keep anyone else from having it?

The FCC forced Verizon to sell it's 700mhz block A spectrum earlier this year, because they they had just sat on it for 3 years without ever using it, how do we know this won't be more of the same?
Unlike the block A spectrum, any spectrum bought from Dish won't come with a "use it or lose it" clause, so there is nothing stopping Verizon from buying it and then just sitting on it forever.

As opposed to DISH sitting on it ... unless DISH buys T-Mobile the spectrum isn't being used by them either :confused:

So Dish is selling part of its spectrum and going online streaming....
Looks like a company is adjusting for the future before the future slaps it in the face.
A bright move.

As opposed to DISH sitting on it ... unless DISH buys T-Mobile the spectrum isn't being used by them either :confused:

Dish tried to use it and it didn't work, because it interfered with GPS. (it's directly adjacent to the GPS spectrum)

At lower power levels (cell tower levels instead of satellite up-link levels) it shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

Dish didn't buy the spectrum directly, and probably never really wanted it in the first place. They got it as part of the purchase of lightsquared (who couldn't use it either, for the exact same reason)

I have no problem with Verizon buying it, as long as they actually use it to improve their network, instead of just buying it to keep it away from t-mobile (like they have done in the past)

So, with this, Comcast owns NBC Universal. AT&T owns DirecTV and Verizon would own Dish.

Horray, free market consolidation and monopolies. Nothing anti consumer about any of this. /s

So, with this, Comcast owns NBC Universal. AT&T owns DirecTV and Verizon would own Dish.

Horray, free market consolidation and monopolies. Nothing anti consumer about any of this. /s

Verizon isn't buying DISH, just a portion of their wireless spectrum frequencies ... Also, this is still a rumor and there is no set timetable ... Since Verizon is still paying on the 138 billion they paid to vodaphone to buy out their ownership position in Verizon and there are a couple of spectrum auctions coming up and DISH is a potential buyer for T-Mobile if the SoftBank merger falls through don't expect anything to happen quickly ;)

This is NOT a free market. You should say "Horray, government regulated market and monopolies."

DISH should have never been allowed to buy spectrum in the first place and there should be checks on balances (ie forfetures) in place to protect the public from vultures looking to hoard public resources for profit.

Dish tried to use it and it didn't work, because it interfered with GPS. (it's directly adjacent to the GPS spectrum)

At lower power levels (cell tower levels instead of satellite up-link levels) it shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

actually this would be just as much as a problem as the original system... it may be lower power but it's still enough and now instead of just having a couple sites you have thousands of sites, definitely a bad idea that won't work just like before.. that spectrum should have never been allocated for terrestrial use

look up the havoc Nextel created on public safety systems adjacent to it on the 800Mhz band for more info

Forgive my spectrum ignorance here.

So we have these spectrums all around us used and unused. Massive entities draft paperwork and submit to agency for the purchase of that spectrum. Entity decides not to use that spectrum and parks it for what appears indefinitely.

I know there are some bands designated for civilian use like in HAM radio and with that there are bands prohibited from civilian use as they are used for police and the such.

Now i am not for civilians and amateurs disrupting GPS, or public safety, or crashing planes due to interference, but what is to stop inventive people from saying screw you, and playing with the spectrum in question? I dont think i should have a massive microwave transmitter in my basement that would cook everything in its path, but still why not? B/c its illegal?

Forgive my spectrum ignorance here.

So we have these spectrums all around us used and unused. Massive entities draft paperwork and submit to agency for the purchase of that spectrum. Entity decides not to use that spectrum and parks it for what appears indefinitely.

I know there are some bands designated for civilian use like in HAM radio and with that there are bands prohibited from civilian use as they are used for police and the such.

Now i am not for civilians and amateurs disrupting GPS, or public safety, or crashing planes due to interference, but what is to stop inventive people from saying screw you, and playing with the spectrum in question? I dont think i should have a massive microwave transmitter in my basement that would cook everything in its path, but still why not? B/c its illegal?

Whoever owns the spectrum would eventually find out, and either sue you directly or send the FCC after you.

It's no different than parking your car in an "abandoned" lot. If they didn't want the land, they would have sold it, and the only reason they keep it is for the specific purpose of preventing anyone else from using it. Even though they won't spent a dime keeping the land safe and clean, they WILL spend money every month on a private towing contract to make sure that nobody is able to park there. By artificially reducing the amount of parking spaces, it allows them to charge more for the parking spaces that ARE available.

The biggest problem, in general, is that people have decided that simply OWNING something somehow entitles them to a profit, either though rent, or though increased value due to scarcity.

This is NOT a free market. You should say "Horray, government regulated market and monopolies."

Because in a free market (by definition of the words), Comcast would likely own everyone and use that power to squash any startup competitors. We all seem to forget how well " free-market" capitalism has (not) worked so well in the past.

Because in a free market (by definition of the words), Comcast would likely own everyone and use that power to squash any startup competitors. We all seem to forget how well " free-market" capitalism has (not) worked so well in the past.

Shhh. Corporations surely have our best interests at heart, unlike Government.

CENTRALIZE.
CONSOLIDATE.
INCREASE MASS UNTIL ONLY PRIME MOVERS CAN EXERT INFLUENCE.

"The" formula which is the basis of American politics and business, as well as the multinationals. The bigger they get, the less chance they have of being influenced by anything other than a focused assembly of everyday citizens. No worries though, when you control the communications mediums.

Back