The Best Video Game Trailers of All Time

While I considered the game a hot mess, (Hated all but one of the player characters and was glad when they died, and rather bug ridden), it's in reverse trailer is prolly the best i have ever seen. I bought a game I ended up hating at release because of it. I almost never buy at release.

Trailers for movies and games all suck these days. Whenever I think of a good trailer, I think of the teaser for T2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbcmLPXuQzo

I mean, it lets you know it's coming and it's probably going to be awesome even though all the footage is exclusive and won't be in the movie itself.

I loved all the SWTOR trailers. Warhammer also comes to mind. I actually enjoyed the ESO trailers though the game stunk.

The trailer for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for World of Warcraft. I was moved.

In most cases the more polished the trailer is the better sign it is that the game itself is not good enough to sell with in-game footage.

The best game trailers show gameplay.

I think they serve a different purpose. Trailers are usually a short cinematic introduction to a game, and IMO is merely to reveal a game. I don't think gameplay could do much in a trailer format either because they are often snippets of some action going on like stuff blowing up, being put together to give an exciting action-packed impression.

A proper gameplay demo is better to show how a game would play, such as the 10 min FarCry 4 demo video where we get to see a continuous gameplay, and not a bunch of snippets put together. Such demo is of course too long for a trailer.

Back