Google Set to Unveil Car Operating System to Rival Apple

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Google I/O Conference is upcoming in San Francisco on the 25th and one of Google’s star attractions will be the introduction of its Google Auto Link, which will be Google’s entrant into the opening field of dashboard computing, competing directly with Apple.

Apple and Google ultimately aspire to provide embedded infotainment systems, which would offer a lucrative new line of business beyond PCs, tablets and smartphones.

I think it's a missed opportunity. In-car systems should of been at this level 10 years ago. Now, I throw my phone up on a dash/window mount, and I'm done. Aside from a larger screen, there's pretty much nothing that can usurp the capabilities of my phone - which I can easily upgrade and replace independent of the car. I just see a lot of redundancy going on here.

I want something that syncs with my android phone and puts it on a 7" display on my dashboard. Does that already exist? Or will this be that?

More seamless Bluetooth integration would be nice (with more access to phone features) ... I have to rent cars periodically for business travel and an easy and consistent way to connect my phone to my car when I am traveling would be very useful ... I used the Microsoft Sync on one of my cars (a Ford) and not sure what the system used on Chevy is ... Google could probably make a more universal system (like Microsoft) that easily pairs with different phones ... I think it is a good idea :)

I think it's a missed opportunity. In-car systems should of been at this level 10 years ago. Now, I throw my phone up on a dash/window mount, and I'm done. Aside from a larger screen, there's pretty much nothing that can usurp the capabilities of my phone - which I can easily upgrade and replace independent of the car. I just see a lot of redundancy going on here.
Ideally, I'd just prefer a manufacturer to make a magnet dock for anything about the size of a 8-10" tablet, so you can use whatever the heck you want. Then make an iOS and Android app that can stream bluetooth audio to the car as well as communicate wirelessly with the OBD2 port and rearview camera.

Saves them money, I'm not stuck with proprietary crap, and while I may keep the car for 10 years (had an Impala SS from 95 to 13), I'm very likely to upgrade my tablet every two years.

Ideally, I'd just prefer a manufacturer to make a magnet dock for anything about the size of a 8-10" tablet, so you can use whatever the heck you want. Then make an iOS and Android app that can stream bluetooth audio to the car as well as communicate wirelessly with the OBD2 port and rearview camera.

Saves them money, I'm not stuck with proprietary crap, and while I may keep the car for 10 years (had an Impala SS from 95 to 13), I'm very likely to upgrade my tablet every two years.

I wouldn't trust a powerful magnet near a phone/tablet. I know somebody who had one of those magnetic closing cases, the magnet caused the screen to have a permenant burnt-in shape of itself. Dead center in the middle of the screen, annoying to say the least.

Back