New GM App: Scan License Plates and Text the Drivers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Usually it’s Japan that has the latest and quirkiest devices and applications, but China’s GM R&D division are developing a new first. An Android App for smartphones scans a license plate and returns with the owner’s personal data….now what could possibly go wrong with that? :D

DiDi Plate is centric to the Chinese market, fortunately, and would likely never get off the ground in the US, where privacy issues would cause a quick uproar.

IF you could select which data you choose to expose or conceal, it might fly. Like tweets between enrolled drivers.

IF you could chose whether to acknowledge each individual query or let it go unanswered, it would have a better chance.

On the other hand, I can see advertisers bugging the shit out of motorists. There would be asshole spammers riding around all day just to send special offers, people doing entire parking lots, etc.

Alerts another driver of upcoming object to avoid, driver slams into object while attempting to read text.... Nope, don't see the problem here.... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great way to meet chicks!

I was thinking of that scenario as well... How many girls do you think have the plate in their own name? I bet most 16 - 24 year olds have it in their parents name and most 30+ are probably in their spouses. *Sends text* hey what's up? *goes to dad's phone*

This would be awesome... someone cuts you off while you're driving

*text* "You stupid fuck, don't you know you signal then you merge, you don't merge and turn your blinker on as you're merging!!! Stop being an unsafe driver"

*text* "Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of texting you about being an unsafe driver!!!!!"

*text* "... and the hypocrisy of taking a picture of your plate while you cut me off..."

However since personal information based on a license plate are not a matter of public record in many (most? all?) states, and who ties their cell phone number to their license plate? Hell I don't even remember giving the DMV my phone number (although may have). Even if this was an opt-in service where only those who get the app and enter the phone/plate numbers, the small percentage of people on the roads that actually use this service would be so small that those who do use it probably would get discouraged and stop using it when every time they use it they get back a reply "Plate not in database"

Guys... this is more likely for letting someone know their headlights were still on in the parking lot.

Sounds like a great way to meet chicks!

I was thinking of that scenario as well... How many girls do you think have the plate in their own name? I bet most 16 - 24 year olds have it in their parents name and most 30+ are probably in their spouses. *Sends text* hey what's up? *goes to dad's phone*

Yeah buddy just what every girl wants while sitting in traffic. Some jack ass getting her personal info to call and hit on her in a traffic jam.

Back