World's Largest Video Game Collection Sold For $750K

HardOCP News

[H] News
The world's largest video game collection sold for $750,250.00. While that is pretty damn impressive for a game collection, it actually works out to less than $70 per game.

Remember the story of Michael Thomasson, who was forced to sell his collection of video games? The Guinness world record-holding haul was eventually snapped up for a whopping $750,250. The unnamed bidder, now short three quarters of a million dollars, will take ownership of one of the largest video game libraries in private ownership, including some more avant-garde pieces of hardware including NUON and the Tapwave Zodiac.

Cool. It's like my father in law did - bought a muscle car already built up and ready to go... Turnkey. Takes all the fun out of it, in my opinion. Sure, you get all the cool stuff out of the box, but I think a lot of the fun it finding and building up the collection. Nothing beats finding a kick ass rare game in the wild. Or that one game you wanted when you were 12...

Nice collection, but I'd never buy it. I'd rather get pieces of it and build my own collection. Because no matter what - that collection was/is Michael Thomasson's, not the new owner.

So he sold a huge collection of games to another collector who will most likely never play a single one of them.

To top it off, he got better than new prices. Sure some of the stuff is rare and worth a bit more, but at the same time, some of those games are worth like 50 cents.

So he sold a huge collection of games to another collector who will most likely never play a single one of them.

To top it off, he got better than new prices. Sure some of the stuff is rare and worth a bit more, but at the same time, some of those games are worth like 50 cents.

No doubt. Though, I remember back when Street Fighter II Turbo came out for SNES, we had to pay $120 CAD for it on release day.

The Tapwave Zodiac is considered avant-garde? Sweet! I have something avant-garde! :D

I haven't looked at his collection, but if he has things like NeoGeo carts, old PC Engine CD games, (especially something like Rondo of Blood,) and old Sega CDs like Snatcher, I could see this boosting the collection's value up quite a bit. Some of these games go for hundreds if you can find them in good shape.

No doubt. Though, I remember back when Street Fighter II Turbo came out for SNES, we had to pay $120 CAD for it on release day.

HA.. I never once bought a new SNES game. Pretty much the same goes for any other system. Stupid high prices and if you wait a couple months you can get it for a lot cheaper.

I haven't looked at his collection, but if he has things like NeoGeo carts, old PC Engine CD games, (especially something like Rondo of Blood,) and old Sega CDs like Snatcher, I could see this boosting the collection's value up quite a bit. Some of these games go for hundreds if you can find them in good shape.

I've got a decent collection of Turbo Grafx 16 games including quite few CDs. Probably the only console I will most likely never sell.

I've got a decent collection of Turbo Grafx 16 games including quite few CDs. Probably the only console I will most likely never sell.

It's definitely one of my favorites. I remember hacking my own "Turbo Booster Plus" onto mine. :D I probed the pins on the big connector on the back, found the RGB, composite, stereo audio, etc. and then added my own jacks to the back cover that went over it. hehehe

I still play some of the games now, like Legendary Axe now and then. (and Rondo of Blood on occasion) Psychosis was another good one. They had some really good games on that system. I always wished I could get the SuperGrafx system that only came out in Japan.

Back