Xbox Chief Says 'I'm Focused On Winning'

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, if this guy is serious, a $50 price drop would be the next logical step. That would move more consoles and hit Sony where it counts (the pocketbook) if they tried to follow suit.

"We have a lot of work to do," he said, adding that his team has identified its lineup of games as its biggest strength this year. "I'm never going to look at being in second place and say I'm fine." "I'm not winning today, so I'm focused on winning," he said.

Xbox One lineup:

1. Halo
2. Halo
3. Halo
4. Halo
5. Halo

You know, if this guy is serious, a $50 price drop would be the next logical step. That would move more consoles and hit Sony where it counts (the pocketbook) if they tried to follow suit.

Honestly I'm very surprised they tried to turn a profit on it from the get go.

Either way, from a marketing standpoint this round should be a lesson for them.

They put themselves into second place themselves for a few reasons.

1. Before launch they shot themselves in the foot with games being locked to your account and internet check.

2. They have the inferior hardware.

3. They forced Kinect down peoples throats who like myself cant stand it which also made it cost $100 more.

So he's going to recall all X1's and replace the slow hardware?

Truthfully, with these systems being x86. They could do a more powerful version, the games would just scale the graphics down. The tech is already there, it's just a matter of developers programming two gfx presets and then auto-detecting the console version.

Granted, they won't. But we all could wish :)

They put themselves into second place themselves for a few reasons.

1. Before launch they shot themselves in the foot with games being locked to your account and internet check.

2. They have the inferior hardware.

3. They forced Kinect down peoples throats who like myself cant stand it which also made it cost $100 more.
Not to mention the paywall on EVERYTHING, which they just recently fixed since their competitors were allowing free access to applications.

It's interesting to see Microsoft responding so quickly to their shortcomings so you know that these are legitimate issues in their eyes. I guess MS thought that they had loyal consumers on their side when they first introduced the XB1 but that turned out not to be the case.

It really is nice to see Microsoft squeal a bit, just because I got fired up when they put everything behind the paywall back on the 360. eff'em.

They should have found a way to make kinect cheaper and launched at 399 and focused more on games from the get go.

Looking at Amazon's best seller list, the Xbox is still getting destroyed by the PS4.

I can't stand the kinect, so I didn't even consider buying it out the gate. Funny thing is, I am the most anti-Sony person I know, but I still haven't considered buying the Xbox. It wasn't until last night, when my wife said there's a game she wants that's only on XB1, that I even accepted there may ever be one in our house.

I think if they really wanted to win, they should've sold the system for $100 less (consoles are loss-leaders anyways). That would ensured people stuck between the two consoles went with the Xbox, and encouraged people scared away by the price to buy earlier.

Hell. We all know it's going to drop in price eventually. Establishing that userbase early is worth so much more than than the extra $100 they'd make from the fewer people who do buy...

My XB1 is currently a paper weight, Watching E3 coverage it looks like it will continue to be so, hoping a good game comes out that will make me use it again.

every time i see phil spencer i think about punching him in the face. the way he makes faces while presenting just asks for it.

Interestingly enough, I'm suddenly enjoying playing the Wii U. It literally spent the first year (has it been that long) sitting mostly idle. Now that the games are coming down in price, and some more titles are coming out, we find ourselves playing that more than anything else.

I love my Xbox One and the Kinect that came with it. Friend has a PS4, he watches YouTube videos through the browser. Everything has different value to different people.

8Mv4747031.jpg

every time i see phil spencer i think about punching him in the face. the way he makes faces while presenting just asks for it.

Dunno about punching him in the face but he does come across as a bit of a douchebag fratboy marketing major. Larry Hryb does need a punch however, just because he's always so damn smug.

In fairness, the new Sony/SCEA President that was on stage toward the end of Sonys E3 presentation looked in need of a good strong shot to the dome as well. Shawn Layden I think is his name.

I think Phil Spencer is doing a good job with what hes got to work with. For my xbox one is what I play the most when it comes to the PS4 and Wii U. I know the PS4 is more powerful hardware but I still play everything on the xbox.

As far as kinect i don't mind it. If anything I like it cuz I can be lazy and just put a QR code without having punch in a 25 digit code.

PC MASTER RACE MOFO !!

U WANNA WIN? U PORT IT TO WINDOWS , HYPOCRIT !!

I love my Xbox One and the Kinect that came with it. Friend has a PS4, he watches YouTube videos through the browser. Everything has different value to different people.

Which is why it was a bad idea to force the Kinect onto everyone. Not everyone needs a Kinect, especially for someone who only gets the console for gaming purposes. Anyone who enjoys a Kinect can get a Kinect bundle, while the rest of us who do not see any value in the Kinect can avoid paying for something that will only be a paperweight for us.

I wonder if anyone will follow the cellphone model and start offering a FREE console with a 4 year type commitment of say 30 a month. With mobile hardware improving at such a fast rate, cellphones and tablets could surpass the new consoles in gpu power very soon.

I wonder if anyone will follow the cellphone model and start offering a FREE console with a 4 year type commitment of say 30 a month. With mobile hardware improving at such a fast rate, cellphones and tablets could surpass the new consoles in gpu power very soon.

MS tried that with the 360. It was $15/month for two years. I believe this program is dead now

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms

MS tried that with the 360. It was $15/month for two years. I believe this program is dead now

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms

I dont believe the "discounted price" meant "free"
Plus the hardware cycle of the consoles is way too long. Competition drives the cellphone market, and with only 2 players in the high-end graphics console market, or 3 big player total, there is not much competition. As long as games on the specific platform were backwards compatible, it could be an attraction for gamers to get a new platform every 4 years. People get new phones like new clothes and dont think twice about it.

I have always been pleased with the One since I bought it in January. (Should have bought it at launch but I was busy playing with my XFX R9 290. :D ) I have no issue with the Kinect 2 and have been extremely pleased with the consistent updates to the console that are being released.

Having a winning attitude is important and they are moving in the right direction to be able to sell more consoles. (Notice I did not say I think they are moving in the right direction but that does not matter as much. The Kinect was worth keeping and they already had $449 system with a game that makes it a better deal than the $399 Kinectless version.

Which is why it was a bad idea to force the Kinect onto everyone. Not everyone needs a Kinect, especially for someone who only gets the console for gaming purposes. Anyone who enjoys a Kinect can get a Kinect bundle, while the rest of us who do not see any value in the Kinect can avoid paying for something that will only be a paperweight for us.

Agreed, I see what they were trying to do though. They wanted everyone to have the same experience. Problem is some people just don't connect their Kinect. At which point they wasted $100 they didn't have to. So no matter what Microsoft does, people are going to try and do what they want to anyways. Microsoft is making a move in the right direction offering the Xbox One without a Kinect for $399. Should have been that way from the beginning. These consoles are still in their infancy. I just wish people would buy what they like and enjoy it instead of posting on forums throwing tantrums like a 2 year old about what they don't like. Making up stuff like Kinect is NSA approved. I like having the freedom to voice command things like pausing a move, turning off the console on the way out without needing to pick up the controller. Smartglass is nice as well, I'm surprised they haven't done more with it yet.

They need some games I give a shit about. I'd buy a next gen console, but right now...why would I?

I like having the freedom to voice command things like pausing a move, turning off the console on the way out without needing to pick up the controller. Smartglass is nice as well, I'm surprised they haven't done more with it yet.

I remember them touting how the XB1 was going to be a media center like device. So a question--when you tell your xbox to shut off, does it also have the power to turn off your receiver and tv as well?

Any HDMI device should be able to power off connected devices. I know my TV will turn off my receiver, Bluray player, etc.

When your competitor runs 30fps faster than you, it's gonna be hard to catch up.

and yet quite often the most powerful console doesnt win. Though in this case, MS shot themselves in the foot from the get go, and sony had it right.

When your competitor runs 30fps faster than you, it's gonna be hard to catch up.

Other then Tomb Raider what other game is 30fps faster? I've seen most games have different resolutions between the platforms, I haven't seen any others that have a different frame rate.

Other then Tomb Raider what other game is 30fps faster? I've seen most games have different resolutions between the platforms, I haven't seen any others that have a different frame rate.

I think it was the general understanding that most all titles run at higher averages but yea you're right the targets on many are the same.

Microsoft will be fine this gen, they will never lead in WW sales but they can possibly catch up in NA.

Back