Amazon Stops Taking Warner Bros DVD Pre-Orders

HardOCP News

[H] News
In case the Netflix vs. Verizon saga wasn't enough drama for you, Amazon is turning up the heat in its battle with Warner Bros. Home Video.

Amazon's quest for better deals and cheaper prices has seen it squeeze publishers, but it isn't limiting itself to just books. The New York Times reports that the retailer is refusing to list DVD pre-orders for upcoming launch of many Warner Home Video movies. We're not talking small releases either: The Lego Movie, 300: Rise of an Empire and Winter's Tale are just three titles launching in the coming days that Amazon lists but isn't allowing customers to order.

Amazon will do what it has to do to stay competitive. Not everyone will like it, but it should benefit the consumer in most cases. If people don't like it, shop elsewhere.

Anyone want to take bets on how long before Time Warner starts throttling the shit out of Amazon.com?

Amazon has made a series of unwise decisions lately. Cutting off supply chains in an effort to lower the price to the consumer (thus more volume for them, if said risk works) hasn't historically done them much good. In the end, the only one that loses is the person that has to order the product from another company rather than one nice centralized shopping cart. Amazon's competitors seem to take a more practical methodology, at least in sales -- give the customer what they want, even if it costs them little more, after all that is one less thing for the manager to have to worry about in his loss leader reports.

My favorite bike store in Tacoma, WA doesn't sell Schwalbe tires, because the owner has a personal opinion on them being an inferior product (with no basis in reality.) He won't even special order them for you, despite having the ability to through his vendors. What that means to me? If I need to purchase multiple items along with some tires at the same time: I'm probably going to go to his competitor to save myself the time from driving to two places.

Give the customer what they want, if you want continued patronage. That is how business flows.

I haven't personally been effected by any of the nonsense they have been doing. But some of it is rather ridiculous. I personally will let my Prime account lapse this time around. When it lapses, I will likely never use Amazon for anything again. I understand it is a business, so I just won't be doing business with them.

I haven't personally been effected by any of the nonsense they have been doing. But some of it is rather ridiculous. I personally will let my Prime account lapse this time around. When it lapses, I will likely never use Amazon for anything again. I understand it is a business, so I just won't be doing business with them.

Someone here gets it.

It's not much different than what Wal-Mart does to its vendors: http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Can someone tell me why people are still buying DVDs. You can get a Blu-ray player for like $100.

Amazon has made a series of unwise decisions lately. Cutting off supply chains in an effort to lower the price to the consumer (thus more volume for them, if said risk works) hasn't historically done them much good. In the end, the only one that loses is the person that has to order the product from another company rather than one nice centralized shopping cart. Amazon's competitors seem to take a more practical methodology, at least in sales -- give the customer what they want, even if it costs them little more, after all that is one less thing for the manager to have to worry about in his loss leader reports.

My favorite bike store in Tacoma, WA doesn't sell Schwalbe tires, because the owner has a personal opinion on them being an inferior product (with no basis in reality.) He won't even special order them for you, despite having the ability to through his vendors. What that means to me? If I need to purchase multiple items along with some tires at the same time: I'm probably going to go to his competitor to save myself the time from driving to two places.

Give the customer what they want, if you want continued patronage. That is how business flows.

You live In Tacoma? I do too.

What does DRM have to do with anything? I use (as far as my knowledge) perfectly legal software and rip Blurays no problem

Which DVD's also have....

Do DVDs pull this shit?

bd_plus.jpg

Not to mention the wonderful load times of BD players etc. I vote with my wallet not to support shitty annoying DRM that only annoys legit customers.

Do DVDs pull this shit?

bd_plus.jpg

Not to mention the wonderful load times of BD players etc. I vote with my wallet not to support shitty annoying DRM that only annoys legit customers.

Not once have i seen that message pop up, sounds like your looking for an excuse frankly

Not once have i seen that message pop up, sounds like your looking for an excuse frankly

Happens lots to folks because Sony, in their never ending quest to piss off legit customers, keeps changing the BD encryption...and if you don't have the latest keys your movie is a drink coaster.

Happens lots to folks because Sony, in their never ending quest to piss off legit customers, keeps changing the BD encryption...and if you don't have the latest keys your movie is a drink coaster.

I still have never seen an instance of this, My household has now 6 bluray players. PS3, PS4, Xbone, Sony BD player x2, and LG bluray player x2, along with multiple computers with bluray drives. Non issue

I still have never seen an instance of this, My household has now 6 bluray players. PS3, PS4, Xbone, Sony BD player x2, and LG bluray player x2, along with multiple computers with bluray drives. Non issue

(unless you refuse to update firmware in anything, and even then i havent updated the firmware in any one of my non-console players)

Do DVDs pull this shit?

bd_plus.jpg

Unfortunately, I've encountered this message a few times with my Sony Blue-Ray players. Luckily, there are firmware to updates. I've been assisting the elderly who rent BD movies but are unable to play because of similar restrictions. Often, they do not have internet and I'm in no condition to bring those BD players home to update them. I've been recommending them to just rent DVD movies.

good for amazon, it's their business and if they dont want to list and sell those items, that's ok in my book. if i want it, guess what, I can buy from someone else. having amazon list a product is not a right. amazon is not a monopoly, it's not the only show in the world. i hope amazon stick to it's guns and get the best possible deal available.

There's an article over at The Consumerist that has a lot of good points in it as to why Amazon is only going to end up costing themselves in the long run.

http://consumerist.com/2014/06/11/a...tself-in-standoffs-with-book-movie-companies/

Wont matter how low they drive prices if people stop going there because nothing is ever available due to "negotiations".

Jeff Bezos should ask the folks at Time Warner Cable how well their 2013 standoff with CBS went. TWC thought it could blackout CBS and CBS-owned stations in major markets like L.A. and New York City in order to win a better deal on the fees it pays to the broadcaster.

But what TWC didn’t realize is that CBS had the product that people want — TWC is just a way to obtain that product. The standoff ended after a month and the cable company lost hundreds of thousands of customers (in markets where it has no competition) and it still had to pay exorbitant fees to CBS.

Amazon is not very different from TWC in its current disputes. Amazon is just one of many ways to buy a book or movie, and the company is only making that fact more apparent by continuing to put up roadblocks to content that consumers want.

Oh good grief. Just don't buy from Amazon if you think they're evil. The Hatchette fight is all due to the court ruling with the Apple price fixing of ibooks on the app store and court contract renegotiation. If you would research the history of the big publishers you would have no sympathy for them. It is the publishing mafia families angry that Amazon is killing their monopoly on book publishing.

Amazon is hardly a monopoly for TW DVD/streaming products.

i've had to update the firmware on the 1 PC blu-ray drive I own but I've only had to do it once but I suspect i'd have to do it again if went to use that drive for a movie. I haven't in years.

Can someone tell me why people are still buying DVDs. You can get a Blu-ray player for like $100.

$50 for an entry level one. $100 gets you a decent one. $400-500 gets an Oppo.

I've got some first gen Blu-ray players and they have never been updated. Yet, every single Blu-ray I throw at it - old & new - never gives that message. I'm sure it happens to some, but I've never seen it with any Blu-ray on several players (Samsung, LG and Sony). I've played quite a few Blu-ray's, too.

Put the squeeze on a company because they won't drop prices for you? Damn... I liked Amazon. That's one reason I stopped shopping at Wal-mart. They put the mob squeeze on their vendors, which lowers profits, which lowers quality (or kills the small company)...

Dammit, Amazon. You were the chosen one. You were supposed to bring balance to online shopping. :/ Business as usual, I guess. Profit. Profit. Profit. There comes a point, though, where profit isn't the main concern. If I were WB, I'd pull all out from Amazon. It'd hurt their bottom line, but it'd definitely shoot right across their bow. Eventually, someone will have to take a bullet like that to show these big companies that they don't run the roost. I'd push big into other outlets....

i've had to update the firmware on the 1 PC blu-ray drive I own but I've only had to do it once but I suspect i'd have to do it again if went to use that drive for a movie. I haven't in years.

Wow that really blows! When I bough the new ultraman blurays for 600 dollars i had to wait 4 weeks for powerdvdhd to update their shitty program do my blurays would work. Its BS when you can't use what you pay dearly for.

If I were WB, I'd pull all out from Amazon. It'd hurt their bottom line, but it'd definitely shoot right across their bow. Eventually, someone will have to take a bullet like that to show these big companies that they don't run the roost. I'd push big into other outlets....

No company run by committee will do that because they don't want to take even the smallest chance at lowering sales/profits. Now it WB was run by one man at the top (like Apple when Jobs was there) they might very well do that.

Not everyone's first language is English, you pedant.

Even a lot of people that have English as a first language screws those things up every once in a while. Sometimes, in a hurry, other times they just make a mistake. Whoop de doo. I'm just glad that most people have other stuff to do than to correct other peoples mistakes but ignore their own... Their are no problems they're when there wrong, but when someone else is wrong, they sure come out to fix it. :)

No company run by committee will do that because they don't want to take even the smallest chance at lowering sales/profits. Now it WB was run by one man at the top (like Apple when Jobs was there) they might very well do that.

Yea, I know. It'd be a hell of a leap, and there would be lost sales. But, it'd send a message to the retailer that they aren't putting up with crap anymore and the tables will turn. The more vendors that join in, the better it will be. Raise profits in the long run. No one wants to go first, understandably.

Back