Windows 8.1 Patches Won't Install Without April Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this is one way to force...I mean...make sure people update to update their operating system. :eek:

"The majority of Windows 8.1 customers have installed the Windows 8.1 update," Microsoft spokeswoman Jill Lovato told CNET in an email on Monday. "For those who have not yet made the transition, those newer updates offered with this month's Update Tuesday will be considered 'not applicable.' Customers' infrastructure will continue to function; however, it should be noted that they can't consume any further updates until they apply the Windows 8.1 Update."

You know, the reason a good deal of people have not updated to 8.1 is because lots of their drivers are only written for 8.0

You know, the reason a good deal of people have not updated to 8.1 is because lots of their drivers are only written for 8.0

Windows 8.0 will still get the updates. It's Windows 8.1 before the Update 1 patch released in April that won't get updates

I sure hope this is sarcasm, but I am guessing it is not.

In fact, most Windows 7 drivers work fin on 8/8.1. Absolutely no reason to not update to 8.1 or 8.1 update 1 from 8.0.

Shit....my friend wanted a good laptop during Black Friday sales and not necessarily the cheapest so I picked out a good Lenovo for him during the sale a few days before. I gave him the cheapest option and the one I recommended that was at a great price due to BF...guess which one he went with or rather insisted on! I should have known because he is pretty much a standard cheapskate. Now the Toshiba piece-o-shit every time I install that spring update and related files the dam web links don't work in IE or Outlook...googling gets me no where so I just uninstalled and hid those updates. Now I'll have to reload that piece of crap and get it just perfect for him again...bllaaahhhh

Shit....my friend wanted a good laptop during Black Friday sales and not necessarily the cheapest so I picked out a good Lenovo for him during the sale a few days before. I gave him the cheapest option and the one I recommended that was at a great price due to BF...guess which one he went with or rather insisted on! I should have known because he is pretty much a standard cheapskate. Now the Toshiba piece-o-shit every time I install that spring update and related files the dam web links don't work in IE or Outlook...googling gets me no where so I just uninstalled and hid those updates. Now I'll have to reload that piece of crap and get it just perfect for him again...bllaaahhhh

You need to contact Toshiba and tell them the piece of shit system image they used is causing a problem with Windows 8.1. I ran into a similar issue like this with about 50 Lenovo systems I bought recently. They all had windows 8 Pro and had to updated to 8.1 manually. After putting Windows 8.1 on a few systems one of my techs minions discovered that they could no longer run defrag and it would just put the system into freak out mode.

After testing and verifying a fresh install of Windows 8 and update to 8.1 worked just fine. I called Lenovo and told to send me update system image to fix the issue. They over-nighted the new restore disk to me. Installed them and now Windows 8.1 update installed without any issues on all systems.

Another reason why OEM system images suck balls.

You need to contact Toshiba and tell them the piece of shit system image they used is causing a problem with Windows 8.1. I ran into a similar issue like this with about 50 Lenovo systems I bought recently. They all had windows 8 Pro and had to updated to 8.1 manually. After putting Windows 8.1 on a few systems one of my techs minions discovered that they could no longer run defrag and it would just put the system into freak out mode.

After testing and verifying a fresh install of Windows 8 and update to 8.1 worked just fine. I called Lenovo and told to send me update system image to fix the issue. They over-nighted the new restore disk to me. Installed them and now Windows 8.1 update installed without any issues on all systems.

Another reason why OEM system images suck balls.

You're conflating Lenovo's enterprise support and Toshiba's consumer support. You should know better...

I will never buy another Toshiba laptop. My last one (a while ago, 2008 Satellite laptop) was TERRIBLE.

I've never dealt with Lenovo on an enterprise level but their consumer stuff is getting pretty lousy.

Companies put a lot of bloatware on their laptops, first thing i do is wipe it clean and do a fresh install with none of the 500+ extra bloatware apps they install.

I don't understand why people find it an issues, update its simple....

Companies put a lot of bloatware on their laptops, first thing i do is wipe it clean and do a fresh install with none of the 500+ extra bloatware apps they install.

I don't understand why people find it an issues, update its simple....

This wasn't a problem in the past because you could just use the OEM Serial Code that came with the laptop to install a fresh version of windows

But companies bitched and complained that people were doing that and not buying into their bloatware, so they took out the OEM serials and they force you to do a reinstall off a protected area of the disk, OR you need to buy a whole new OS to get one bloat free

tumblr_lz3vcp4nS31r27qkzo1_500.gif

Jellybean key finder :D and windows 8 keys are done very different than 7 i recall, so unless you can get the OEM / VL coy they have your usually screwed.

This wasn't a problem in the past because you could just use the OEM Serial Code that came with the laptop to install a fresh version of windows

But companies bitched and complained that people were doing that and not buying into their bloatware, so they took out the OEM serials and they force you to do a reinstall off a protected area of the disk, OR you need to buy a whole new OS to get one bloat free

tumblr_lz3vcp4nS31r27qkzo1_500.gif

No. There's an utility to grab the serial key from the BIOS. Can't recall the name, but if you need it, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you when I get home.

Also, as I've said in other threads:

1) see in system properties the version you have (Vanilla, Core, Pro, Single Language).
2) grab a 8.1 official ISO
3) install with a dummy key
4) after it completes, change the key for the 8.0 one you have.

There you go, fresh 8.1 activated install. Now go ahead and install the Update. The end.

Back