Dual Boot - Installing Windows 8 on 4TB Hard Drive

psy81

Gawd
Hey guys,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been raised. I currently have windows 7 64-bit installed. I want to install windows 8 on a 4TB hard drive and run dual boot.

1) Do I simply install the 4TB hard drive and windows 8? I have a 990 FXA-UD3 revision 1 motherboard.
2) Also, when running a dual boot, is it safe to hide all the hard drives (through admin tools) associated with windows 7 when booting into windows 8 and vice versa?
3) Are there any applications that will make managing a dual boot system easier?

Thanks in advance

1) Should be as simple as putting the 4TB drive in there then booting from the install DVD and selecting the new drive to install the second OS to. The installation should automatically re-write the bootloader, at least it usually does.

2) Yes you can hide your drives, they're still physically seen, just not logically. Unless you actually disable them.

3) Besides Virtualization, not that I'm familiar with. Dual Booting is an ancient way of running multiple operating systems that has been loathed as far as I can remember. The ease of screwing things up or causing your more headaches if you decide you don't want to dual boot anymore, can be annoying to say the least. This is why people choose a solid OS first then just virtualize everything else they need. With multiple cores and massive memory densities this is relatively trivial for most cases.

So no issues installing windows 8 on 4TB hard drive?

The reason I do not want to go Virtualization route is that it is not good for gaming. I want to install windows 8 for gaming purposes.

Once I go dual boot route, I do not plan on undoing this so that's fine. Are there any other issues that I should consider before I move ahead?

Thanks again

EDIT: Also, I'd like to keep the 2 OSs as seperate as possible. I do not want to be able to view windows 7 files when in windows 8 and vice versa. Is hiding the hard drives using admin tools the best option?

So no issues installing windows 8 on 4TB hard drive?

The reason I do not want to go Virtualization route is that it is not good for gaming. I want to install windows 8 for gaming purposes.

Once I go dual boot route, I do not plan on undoing this so that's fine. Are there any other issues that I should consider before I move ahead?

Thanks again

EDIT: Also, I'd like to keep the 2 OSs as seperate as possible. I do not want to be able to view windows 7 files when in windows 8 and vice versa. Is hiding the hard drives using admin tools the best option?

With Vista and newer OSs, things are more complicated. This website is a bit dated, but it has useful information, if you want to keep each OS totally hidden from the other. www.multibooters.co.uk.

Back