Network camera questions

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
This is something completely new to me, but I'm looking into setting up a security camera / webcam outside my house. Our house is on a corner lot and at the end of last fall a couple cars were vandalized on the street along the side of our house. Then last week I got home from work and our grill was missing from our back yard (which being on a corner lot, gives fairly easy access to our back yard). I thought about installing a camera back in the fall, but winter came and I never got to it.

So again I dont know much about any of this, but hopefully with a quick explanation of what I think I'm looking for I can at least get headed in the right direction. I'd like a small camera that I could mount about 10ft up on the corner of the house and get views of our back yard/patio and of my car parked on the street. Some people at work suggested a couple models of wireless D-Link IP cameras. These wireless cameras seem like good options because they would eliminate the need for running multiple wires. So I’d only need to get power to the camera. D-Link also has a smartphone app that would allow me to view the camera remotely and (if I’m reading the info correctly) save/send the recordings to and email address.

I figured that I’d check here to see if there are any other suggestions or if anyone had opinions about either of these D-Link cameras?? Thanks in advance.

DCS-2330L

DCS-2332L

Here's a rough diagram of my yard and the area that I'm trying to view with the camera.
Camera+diagram.jpg

Get poe ip cameras hooked up to a poe switch (or injectors) and you'll only need cat5 to the cameras.

that's a very wide angle. probably should use more than 1 camera for coverage, unless you get a camera with real Panning(not cropped).

Get poe ip cameras hooked up to a poe switch (or injectors) and you'll only need cat5 to the cameras.

Yeah, I had initially thought about PoE cameras. But I figured that those wireless D-Link ones would be simpler to set up, record / save the videos & view with the D-Link app, etc. I just didnt want to spend more that I had to on this, when there was a comparable cheaper option out there.

that's a very wide angle. probably should use more than 1 camera for coverage, unless you get a camera with real Panning(not cropped).

Yep, 2 cameras might be needed. I was trying to view as much of our patio as I could and also get a shot of my car parked on the street. Any idea what the standard viewing angle is??

I'll probably start off with one camera, and then look to set up a 2nd maybe on the other back corner of the house.

Yep, 2 cameras might be needed. I was trying to view as much of our patio as I could and also get a shot of my car parked on the street. Any idea what the standard viewing angle is??

I'll probably start off with one camera, and then look to set up a 2nd maybe on the other back corner of the house.

depends on the focal length and sensor size and all that junk... for example when you buy a harbor freight jobby with 4 cams, 2 of them one type viewing angles, 2 of them have another... there really isn't a standard

Get one of those wide angle mirrors and have the camera look at it.

78-177_bk.jpg

Sorry for the late reply :p

I setup a 8 camera zmodo cctv its not the highest quality but I got it covering every angle/entry of my house.

works well and I can monitor from my android/iphone

Damn, didnt realize it's been over a year since I initally posted this thread!!!

Well, I finally got my camera. I decided on the HIKvision DS-2CD2032-I IP camera. I'm glad I ended up waiting a bit and researching this some more. I think that I'll be glad that this is a POE camera. I'll only have to run a Cat6 network cable to it and hopefully the fact that it's wired will make it more reilable (no dropped WiFi connections, etc) and a bit easier to work with once it's set up.

GGt0GhrgBPo0K8LK2EvfA7Db6Apxqcmouh6LSXk3hkM=w1308-h736-no

I am gonig to install it on that back corner of my house. And I'll just try to angle it to get a good shot of my car on the street and whatever I can of the back yard. I'll post some more pics when I get it installed.

Glad you went this route. When I just started to read and saw wireless Dlink I was like oh no.

Yeah, those D-Link's were the inital suggestion by someone here at work. But the more I looked into it and got some additional info from another [H] post, I'm gald I went with the HIKvision as well. It took me a while to actually get the camera, I wanted to get some kind of camera the day after our grill was stolen, but I'm glad I took some time and made the decision to get the HIKvision. And I actually spent less for the HIKvision than I would have for the D-Link.

Nice how things work out sometimes!!!

Back