Marc Andreessen: Snowden Is 'A Textbook Traitor'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently Marc Andreessen is not a big fan of Edward Snowden.

"Obviously he's a traitor," Andreessen said in an interview with CNBC that ran Thursday morning. "Like if you look up in the encyclopedia 'traitor,' there's a picture of Ed Snowden. Like he's a textbook traitor. They don't get much more traitor than that. I will say that I'm in the distinct minority out here. Most people in Silicon Valley would pick the other designation."

Ok, he's a traitor. But he's a good kind of traitor. Like a good witch and a bad witch, like Wizard of Oz has taught me.

He's a traitor to his government, but if the gov is betraying the people... then... profit???

The leaks hurt tech companies that were complicit in the spying, so i am shocked..SHOCKED that a guy who sits on the board of facebook and is invested in other major US companies has a negative opinion on the him.

He's a traitor in the same sense that George Washington and Ben Franklin were traitors.

Exposing violations of the Fourth Amendment is now traitorous, seditious behavior.

Without Snowden, these violations would never have been noticed (or hopefully one day, prosecuted and ended).

He's a traitor by definition and a hero by his deeds. He's a Jack Bower kind of traitor, the kind I like to know is on my side.

I believe in compromise ... Pin a medal on his chest for serving humanity ... Then put him against a wall and shoot him for treason ... The perfect compromise ;)

He's a traitor to his government, but if the gov is betraying the people... then... profit???

Its funny how the government can't follow some simple rules called the constitution, they throw lawyers at it and hope they stick, how can these people sleep at night knowing they're ruining the country.

He's a traitor in the same sense that George Washington and Ben Franklin were traitors.

If you read about the history of the US from anywhere outside of the US it's a bit less cut and dry. Both sides did a lot of wrong.

England kept raising taxes without representation because the local authority couldn't/wouldn't abide by any of the agreements after the Treaty of Paris. The French/Indian War cost a lot and benefited the colonies. Backwater wooden-toothed asshole frontier settlers kept skirmishing with Native Americans despite any of the agreements made drawing up boundaries. They continued pushing westward in a precursor to manifest destiny. Then England was like "fine assholes, have some taxes to pay for some useless redcoats who will just sit in your towns and not really do much." Americans didn't want them there but it was weird. A lot of people were complaining about Native American attacks while at the same time complaining about taxes. Damned if you do damned if you don't. England's response was pretty inappropriately "lol shut up" basically and yadda yadda there we go dumping out all their tea.

We don't really have the noble beginnings that we think we do. Better than Australia though.

Snowden's a traitor for sure, but so was John Brown, Tokyo Rose, etc. I think his legacy whatever that may be is yet to be decided. People are really quick to label him negatively or positively of which there's not much reason to be so hasty yet.

Snowden is the Ellsberg of the present day. He did us a very good service. This Andreessen idiot is just lip flapping.

For us non Americans, Snowden is just plain fun, fun, and even more fun.

Now if I was American, I am not sure how I'd feel. I guess if I was one of the 1% super rich, I would have him executed.

But if not, then I would also laugh it the embarrassment it caused the beg corps and the government, except that I would hate that it posed my country in such a bad light.

I think that in the long run, the US will be better for it. Just an opinion.

Now if I was American, I am not sure how I'd feel. I guess if I was one of the 1% super rich, I would have him executed.

But if not, then I would also laugh it the embarrassment it caused the beg corps and the government, except that I would hate that it posed my country in such a bad light.

As an American I can say that it makes no difference to me. Its not like we didn't know the government is crooked.
He should just release everything! It would make for a good read!

i had to google who this venture capitalist "Marc Andreessen" was and why we should give a crap about what he has to say... and i figure now, he's just jelly

More like the modern day Robin Hood: Take from the those who take from others. In this case, take from the NSA that has taken away our privacy and expose what the NSA has done.

I really love this part:

What Andreessen said he doesn't understand, given how long the NSA has been around and the amount of money it draws from the US federal government, is how anybody could pretend to be surprised to learn what the agency is doing.

"I thought they were spying," Andreessen said. "That was my impression. I just thought that that's what they were doing. I thought everybody knew that."

You do understand the difference between "pretending" to believe Big Government is spying on you, and verifiable PROOF that the government is spying on you, right? There is a big fucking difference Marc. Don't be a jackass, or if you are just stop speaking. This is why I loathe riches and fame giving assholes a free shot to say whats on their mind and be treated as if they're somehow "superior" to you the average persons point of view.

To make matters worse. Does he not understand spying on Americans is against the NSA's fucking charter? There are laws you know and exposing matters like these is often encouraged while you are working for the government. The irony is whether you're working in the military or the government, nobody really cares despite them telling you to report incidents. Snowden did and he ran into the wall that is bureaucracy. Ignore it and it'll go away.

I don't think the guy is a hero or a traitor. The term "hero" is thrown around too loosely. No every police officer or military member is one. I've met a lot of shitbags inside the military to know this isn't true. That title is earned by actions not some automated response. At the very least he's a leader, for better or worse. I'm starting to think people do not understand what the term "traitor" means as that's thrown around just as easily as hero these days.

/tl;dr

Marc Andreessen: You're an idiot. Taken from the POV of someone who's done service to understand the differences and consequences and from an individual is unbiased toward the situation as a whole. Having a feeling and knowing are not the same thing.

Basically he doesn't give a damn about the ethics. He's just peeved because a bunch of US companies could now have this as a competitive liability when whoring for business in third world nations.

And, in short, a bunch of rich people won't grow richer quite so fast.

How very...pathetic

My opinion, and mine alone, is that Snowden is a hero. The guy risked EVERYTHING to expose systemic abuses of the constitution. How far from freedom had we fallen, given that secret courts were handing out unchallengeable edicts, hidden from public view? We have a spy agency that has been granted or has taken the power to monitor citizens in an unreasonable fashion. The federal government, as a whole, was complicit in the ransacking of the bill of rights. For what, the fear of terrorists?

Like if you look up in the encyclopedia 'traitor,' there's a picture of Ed Snowden. Like he's a textbook traitor.

It annoys me when people have the bad habit of overusing the word like at the start of a sentence

So, Mr. self righteous goody-goody mofo thinks the US govt. is corrupt and is now sleeping with Putin? Yeah, makes sense. Just not in this world.

I don't know why he did it,just that it exposed the biggest traitors to the American people - the government itself.

My opinion, and mine alone, is that Snowden is a hero.

goal justify the means eh, funny since most governments use that as an excuse also
There is no doubt that Snowden committed treason , by any legal definition, its only debatable if his motives exonerate him

The main problem with motives is that thy are highly subjective: a hero or freedom fighter for some a terrorist for others: the guy that blow himself up at an US army checkpoint in Afghanistan

Personally i just accepted how the world and hence humanity works, western governments do some nasty shit so most of us can sleep easy and comfortable at night
Do thy abuse power ? sure thy do, its in our nature

Never even heard of this guy.

Founder of Netscape?

Now a venture capitalist. He funded startup seed money for some of the biggest names in tech.

Still no?

He's a rich fucker and an elitist dickbag, ring a bell now?

So snowden just proved what some of us knew already? so that makes him a hero?

bleh. Looking forwards to WW3 and ending this shitfest of a culture.

Oh and then he took what he knew and handed it to Russia. No he didn't you say? Yeah right.

Throw the jerk in a cage for the rest of his existence. And make sure you understand he had no qualms with all he knew for years. He rose in the ranks and was incredibly well paid, far better than you or I. He bragged on forums about his accomplishments and sought ways to do them better. Took all that knowledge and then found a nice hidey hole in Russia. And now Russia starts getting aggressive and threatening to toss nukes our way. Coincidence? No it's not. You folks with the "don't touch my freedoms" attitudes have next to zero idea on just what the price is to keep them. It isn't cheap. It isn't fun and it's not glorious. But maybe it saves 100 innocents from leaping from a burning 60th floor. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Bury Snowden in a cell and don't bother whether he ever sees the light of day. He didn't save you. He enriched himself. He lived a playboy lifestyle where he could. And then he went off and sold all he knew to the very country that just recently told us they'd nuke us if we interfered. That very thought should chill your blood.

The rich have nothing to do with Snowden so equating anything he does to that is just, silly.

That said he IS a traitor and traitors should be executed. It's simple really, if his intentions were to expose what the NSA was doing, then running to Russia isn't the way to do it. I don't believe for a second that Russia just let him in without some sort of deal for the data he had. So basically he is trading secrets to a not-so-friendly to the US country. Why not go to the UK or an actual US ally? He's a traitor and a firing squad can line him up in their sights soon enough.

He's not a traitor.

He betrayed his government not his country.
Marc Anderson you're an idiot.

The rich have nothing to do with Snowden so equating anything he does to that is just, silly.

That said he IS a traitor and traitors should be executed. It's simple really, if his intentions were to expose what the NSA was doing, then running to Russia isn't the way to do it. I don't believe for a second that Russia just let him in without some sort of deal for the data he had. So basically he is trading secrets to a not-so-friendly to the US country. Why not go to the UK or an actual US ally? He's a traitor and a firing squad can line him up in their sights soon enough.

You cannot seriously be asking that question. :rolleyes:

I'll give you a hint. It is called "extradition" in the English language. Look it up in Merriam-Webster or the OED sometime.

This guy too things he should not have and gave our enemies (China, Russia, Iran,etc) ideas of ways to exploit our own citizens. Weather snowden did try and raise the red flag at the NSA is yet to be proven, one would think that if he took millions of documents he would have taken the evidence of his" internal questioning".

Anyway he is a traitor and should be killed and then maybe shat upon.

It's simple really, if his intentions were to expose what the NSA was doing, then running to Russia isn't the way to do it.

I'm sorry. Wasn't aware you were living in a fantasy land.

Out here in reality, if you do this sort of thing where they can put their hands on you, you get yourself disappeared and any good you could have done with that data is pretty much goes out the window.

I don't believe for a second that Russia just let him in without some sort of deal for the data he had. So basically he is trading secrets to a not-so-friendly to the US country. Why not go to the UK or an actual US ally?

Because they'll simply deport him back to the US and he'll still disappear.

He's a traitor and a firing squad can line him up in their sights soon enough.

And right here is the problem. The guy exposed MASSIVE and SYSTEMIC abuse of power and public trust. But the solution is to have him shot?

Are you even listening to yourself?

This situation is the messy cluster fuck it is EXPLICITLY *because* of things like Title 18, Part 1 Chapter 115 (The Treason, Sedition and Subversive Activities code).

There's no legitimate way to blow the whistle on things like this without effectively martyring yourself.

This guy too things he should not have and gave our enemies (China, Russia, Iran,etc) ideas of ways to exploit our own citizens. Weather snowden did try and raise the red flag at the NSA is yet to be proven, one would think that if he took millions of documents he would have taken the evidence of his" internal questioning".

Anyway he is a traitor and should be killed and then maybe shat upon.

Speaking of thing you cannot prove.

BTW, talk about being fucking arrogant...who says Russia/China didn't already know of all this shit? And who says they don't run similar shit already? Odds are high they already did know, and do. Or have you already forgotten about how easily the Chinese stole Gigabytes of data from say the F-35 (that we know about)?

Speaking of thing you cannot prove.

BTW, talk about being fucking arrogant...who says Russia/China didn't already know of all this shit? And who says they don't run similar shit already? Odds are high they already did know, and do. Or have you already forgotten about how easily the Chinese stole Gigabytes of data from say the F-35 (that we know about)?

Here is the reality what I do and do not know will not be proven on a forum, but if they did have some or all of it, we just filled in a bunch of blanks that make us collectively weaker. Not arrogant, but a secret is a secret for a reason.

Back