PC Drivers For The Xbox One Controller

HardOCP News

[H] News
Major Nelson sends word that PC drivers for the Xbox One controller are now available in both x86 and x64 flavors. Thanks to qbanb8582 and everyone else that sent this one in as well.

Beginning today, new PC drivers for the Xbox One controller will be available for download, offering PC gamers a better way to play using the Xbox One controller. We’re planning to release the drivers as part of a Windows update in the near future; however, today, I am happy to offer early access to our dedicated PC gamers on MajorNelson.com.

OH.
SNAP.

So, do you need a dongle, or do the XBO controllers use bluetooth?

Xbox one controller is WiFi direct. It will need a dongle for wireless but wired is any micro USB cable.

That's how the 360 worked, wired just plugs in and works, wireless requires stuff.

Am I the only one who has gotten annoyed with the wireless controllers in general anyway? I kind of prefer the wired ones with a nice long cable. No batteries going dead, charges pooping out in the middle of your game, expensive controllers (or battery packs) needing to be replaced due to age. To me, the wires really aren't all that bad.

I don't know if Sony released drivers for the PC, but if they didn't, this was a missed chance to dislodge microcrap even more.

Oh well, lets bend over and pay 50 bucks for a damn controller.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed... I don't have an Xbox One (or PS4) but it might be worth picking up a controller for some of those action/arcade games that just work better with controllers.

My son has an XOne. I bought him an extra controller with the stipulation that I'd be using it on the PC as well. :D

I just tested the x64 driver with Windows 8.1 and played a bit of dark souls. The controller works great, the only problem was when I excited the game I got a C++ runtime error.

It may just be that my 360 controller is really old, but I like the feel of the xbone controller better :)

Using a PS3 controller on bluetooth with 360 PC drivers. Work great but I can't remap both triggers like with the MotionJoy driver.

Would be nice if the XB1 controller dongle for the PC was small like the Logitech dongles.

I guess I'll be waiting for the PC version SKUs with controller + wireless adapter.

32-bit driver 2.20 MB, 64-bit driver 2.72 MB. Nice and small. Nice.

That's right, forgot that it uses bluetooth.

Maybe I should get one a play around with it...;)

I believe that Sony should do a bigger push for the PC market, at least in this instance.

Personally, I'm very pissed at MS for this type of crap.

Beginning today, new PC drivers for the Xbox One controller will be available for download, offering PC gamers a better way to play using the Xbox One controller.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That's how the 360 worked, wired just plugs in and works, wireless requires stuff.

Am I the only one who has gotten annoyed with the wireless controllers in general anyway? I kind of prefer the wired ones with a nice long cable. No batteries going dead, charges pooping out in the middle of your game, expensive controllers (or battery packs) needing to be replaced due to age. To me, the wires really aren't all that bad.

I like my xbone wireless controllers, but i seem to run out of juice while playing so i plug in the cable, and then leave it plugged in for weeks at a time. The cable really doesnlt bother me due to my short distance from the xbone.

My 360 are all wired controllers now, less bulk and weight is much nicer imo

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Have you ever played a racing game with a kb/mouse? Fighter? Platformer? I'm a kb/mouse jockey all the way, but when I'm on my HTPC and playing any of the above, playing with anything but a controller is a mess.

So, is the D-pad any better on the XBone controller? The XBox 360 one is craptastic.

How well does the PS3 controller work with the PC? I can't stand a controller with a crappy d-pad. Wouldn't mind building a Steam Box, but not sure exactly what controller I'd use.

Have you ever played a racing game with a kb/mouse? Fighter? Platformer? I'm a kb/mouse jockey all the way, but when I'm on my HTPC and playing any of the above, playing with anything but a controller is a mess.

Why yes. Yes I have. I have an Xbox 360 controller for just those things. I was laughing at the way their statement was worded to give the impression that a controller is better for everything.

Why yes. Yes I have. I have an Xbox 360 controller for just those things. I was laughing at the way their statement was worded to give the impression that a controller is better for everything.

AH! Indeed!
I read it as the COMBINATION gave the better experience by making the controller available. But whatever, we're on the same page. :D

Anyone tried it with Watch Dogs? Layout recognized and working?

My 360 controller works, but it's meh and old

Having drivers available is only one part of the equation, the question is are they good drivers? For instance if you don't have a mouse will they let you control the mouse with the xbox joy stick? This is the types of problems with the 360 drivers that force you to use third party hack jobs like joy2key.

Great news... Now I just have to wait for a wireless adapter... I'm guessing another six months... If we're lucky.

Took them long enough. But I guess it's because they are a console company and not a PC company. :)

Xbox one controller is WiFi direct. It will need a dongle for wireless but wired is any micro USB cable.

The controller does not use Wi-Fi Direct for input/output commands, however it uses it for applications such as Smart Glass. It has a proprietary wireless communication connection for physical commands according to the XboX Man: Major Nelson.

The Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct for any of it's communication. The controller uses a proprietary wireless communication protocol that is optimized for gameplay and voice chat.
Xbox One does support WiFi Direct but that is for things like SmartGlass

SOURCE: http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1l5rhj/wifi_direct_for_controller/cbw26g1

And yes at this time (June 2014) the Xbox One Controller requires the USB connection.

:D

Great news... Now I just have to wait for a wireless adapter... I'm guessing another six months... If we're lucky.

Or buy a nice long Mini-USB to USB adapter and start using it right now.

Seriously the Xbox One controller is better in almost every single way to the 360 except the shoulder buttons which don't feel like I'm pressing them.. when I press them.

But the D-pad on the 360 was the single worst D-pad for a first party controller I can even think of in 31 years of gaming (literally since I was like 3). I hated it with a passion , it made playing fighting games such a laborious task. I also didn't like how firm the analog sticks are with the 360 controller and the change to the lose analog sticks on the Xbox One controller are just heaven.

Microsoft and Sony may have fumbled the console launches in various ways but both of them VASTLY improved upon the controllers of previous generations. Despite the crazy cost of R/D for the Xbox One controller ($100 Million dollars) it was worth every penny (make the shoulder buttons more clicky and the Xbox One controller will stack against the best controllers of all time MS).

Also these drivers work great.

Or buy a nice long Mini-USB to USB adapter and start using it right now.

Seriously the Xbox One controller is better in almost every single way to the 360 except the shoulder buttons which don't feel like I'm pressing them.. when I press them.

But the D-pad on the 360 was the single worst D-pad for a first party controller I can even think of in 31 years of gaming (literally since I was like 3). I hated it with a passion , it made playing fighting games such a laborious task. I also didn't like how firm the analog sticks are with the 360 controller and the change to the lose analog sticks on the Xbox One controller are just heaven.

Microsoft and Sony may have fumbled the console launches in various ways but both of them VASTLY improved upon the controllers of previous generations. Despite the crazy cost of R/D for the Xbox One controller ($100 Million dollars) it was worth every penny (make the shoulder buttons more clicky and the Xbox One controller will stack against the best controllers of all time MS).

Also these drivers work great.

I think I speak for many when I say that many of us use the xbox controllers in a situation where the wireless is important. I don't want to create a spaghetti mess of cords in my living room because MS is too stupid to make the wireless function work.

I think I speak for many when I say that many of us use the xbox controllers in a situation where the wireless is important. I don't want to create a spaghetti mess of cords in my living room because MS is too stupid to make the wireless function work.

Oh I agree but.. for the time being one piece of spaghetti does not a mess make.

Oh I agree but.. for the time being one piece of spaghetti does not a mess make.

Well it would be 4 in my case and once you throw in needing it to be about 12 feet to get back to the couch it does. Basically many people are frustrated. We don't use controllers because they are good we use them because its convenient. If we cared about accuracy and the D-pad we would just use a keyboard / mouse.

Well it would be 4 in my case and once you throw in needing it to be about 12 feet to get back to the couch it does. Basically many people are frustrated. We don't use controllers because they are good we use them because its convenient. If we cared about accuracy and the D-pad we would just use a keyboard / mouse.

But you do care about accuracy , comfort and the D-pad otherwise you wouldn't be commenting with such frustration :cool:

It may suck but its only temporary as MS has already said they will release a wireless version or dongle that will fix the situation for anyone that hates the cable mess. Its just good to see MS follow through with its promises even if they aren't the full package yet.

OK yes I will obviously take more accuracy in a controller if I can get it for a reasonable price. The problem is I wont be buying xbox one controllers to replace the 360 controllers till wireless is sorted out. So how do I put that? I don't care enough about accuracy in a controller to sacrifice convenience.

So, is the D-pad any better on the XBone controller? The XBox 360 one is craptastic.

I'd like to know this too.

Though there is a simple mod where you add a plastic shim to make the dpad work properly. That's on my to do list.

Am I the only one who loathes the Xbox ONE controller? I still love the Xbox 360 controller for almost everything, but the Dualshock 4 feels great in my hands and it still has the superior D-pad.

I made a detailed post about why I hate the XBONE controller in the original thread here

As for the D-pad, it kind of feels like what Razer did with the 360 controller. They click and are more like buttons, so still no good for things like fighting games. But it is designed in such a way that you can smoothly slide your fingers across the surface, so it's still better than the POV hat-thing they did with the 360. I really don't understand why Microsoft still feels the need to try to reinvent the D-pad...

Am I the only one who loathes the Xbox ONE controller? I still love the Xbox 360 controller for almost everything, but the Dualshock 4 feels great in my hands and it still has the superior D-pad.

I made a detailed post about why I hate the XBONE controller in the original thread here

As for the D-pad, it kind of feels like what Razer did with the 360 controller. They click and are more like buttons, so still no good for things like fighting games. But it is designed in such a way that you can smoothly slide your fingers across the surface, so it's still better than the POV hat-thing they did with the 360. I really don't understand why Microsoft still feels the need to try to reinvent the D-pad...

Yes. You are literally the first person on any forum (that I've personally used) that has said it was a step backwards. I don't think I've even seen any gaming web sites complain about it.

You stand alone.

Back