Detached Retina Linked To Over-Texting In The Dark

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can add texting in the dark to the list of things that will make you go blind if you do it too much. :eek:

A 26-year-old man from China suffered a detached retina after hours of texting his girlfriend in the dark, using his cell phone messaging app, WeChat. He was required to undergo emergency surgery after his eyesight became plagued with sudden flashes and he discovered his left eye’s retina had become detached.

What the hell happened to making a phone call? If you're going to be talking that much, might as well talk in real time...

Moderation, there's none of it in the real world anymore. North Americans eat until they have heart disease and die, Asia has people who play games until they are dehydrated and die on the shitter.

This guy was going for some new low, texting until he goes blind.:rolleyes:

Moderation, there's none of it in the real world anymore. North Americans eat until they have heart disease and die, Asia has people who play games until they are dehydrated and die on the shitter.

This guy was going for some new low, texting until he goes blind.:rolleyes:

We call that thinning the gene pool.

I'm serious: fuck global warming all that noise—smartphones are going to be the end of humanity.

Sounds like bullshit propaganda from Chinese officials that are trying to limit how much their populace does unproductive things like text or play video games. They've been doing that for a while. They are supposed to be MAKING iPhones, not using them.

Agreed that the article sounds like bullshit, but given how it is now spreading around like wildfire, it sounds like they probably achieved whatever their goal is.

Don't you mean dying in your chair at a gaming lounge and other people not noticing for a few hours? :)

I don't think this is the one as I remember there was a pic of him frozen in the gaming position and looked like he was still playing.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/02/22/chinese-man-dies-day-gaming-binge/

Can't remember the source, but a man was severely dehydrated at a netcafe, got up and went to the throne for relief after a few dozen hours and died right on the can.

Don't think there's any more of an undignified death than dying while having your pants down evacuating the orifices.

Shit has happened to me, the jelly in the eye is pulling at the retina, which causes the flashes and optician said if my vision in my right eye starts to look like closing curtains, the vision coming in at the sides or top and bottom I have to get myself to the hospital withing one hour or I could lose my sight in my right eye.

After youtubing videos on how they fix it, it scares the SHIT out of me as they stick 3 needles into your eye and put instruments through the holes, then drain your eye fluid and fill it with nitrogen or something, gradually your eye fill back up and the gas disperses, but your awake all through the operation I believe ?

So i pray to god that the jelly doesnt pull hard enough that it takes my retina with it, the flashes I get are in far right corner of my right eye and I would advise anyone who gets it toet their eyes checked ASAP because it is an medical emergency.

Retinal detachment often occurs in late stage myopia when the eye elongates so much that the retina can no longer remain attached to the surrounding tissues causing the tearing. While it is possible for a person to have these issues by constantly straining the eye by staring at close proximity, it would take years of staring at a close object to achieve this. There was a study done some time back on the effects of indoor activities (reading, computer screen time etc.) on children where over the years it was found that the children who are indoor most of the time studying etc. are at a higher risk of myopic eyesight.
The point is, it takes years of indoor squinting at textbooks and computers at the formative years to get to extre myopia and then some kind of extreme physical trauma to the eye or further lack of outdoor activities to get to this point of retinal tearing. It doesn't just happen overnight by staring at mobile phones. If that was true, his girlfriend should have also probably been in the ER. This guy must have had a pre-existing condition such as floaters and flashes in vision over years perhaps coupled with very high myopia that might have lead to this.

Yikes! That is scary. I have a bad habit of checking my phone before I go to sleep, maybe play a few rounds of angry birds or something or maybe check facebook. I'll really have to stop doing that.

Though is this something your eye doctor can catch before it actually gets bad, or is it just like boom, one day you're blind?

I know how this really happened. He was "texting" on his phone in the dark and then something shot him in the eye? Uh-huh... :)

Scary as hell, and honestly it brings a whole new meaning to *phone with Retina display! :eek:

Shit has happened to me, the jelly in the eye is pulling at the retina, which causes the flashes and optician said if my vision in my right eye starts to look like closing curtains, the vision coming in at the sides or top and bottom I have to get myself to the hospital withing one hour or I could lose my sight in my right eye.

After youtubing videos on how they fix it, it scares the SHIT out of me as they stick 3 needles into your eye and put instruments through the holes, then drain your eye fluid and fill it with nitrogen or something, gradually your eye fill back up and the gas disperses, but your awake all through the operation I believe ?

So i pray to god that the jelly doesnt pull hard enough that it takes my retina with it, the flashes I get are in far right corner of my right eye and I would advise anyone who gets it toet their eyes checked ASAP because it is an medical emergency.

That happened to me last year, and also once before many years ago (flashes and slight 'blindness' in my one eye)... especially after a lot of eye strain. It was perfectly fine an hour or so later though. Scared the hell out of me

I know I need glasses so perhaps I'll book an appointment with the eye doctor sooner than later.

Think I posted about this before, but an optomilogist I know says something similar. Since the advent of tablets and smartphones they recorded a large spike in near sightedness and other related issues, especially prevalent with teens.

Can this be an issue with looking at a computer screen all day? I work in a NOC, and when I'm at home I'm also usually on the computer. I don't really stare at my phone screen all that much and it's always short spurts so not too worried about the phone part.

I doubt the detachment had anything to do with texting...

I agree.
As someone who's HAD a detached retina, I wonder if he left out the part where he fell outta bed or was subjected to a sudden blow (car accident, vigorous execise, etc)

Think I posted about this before, but an optomilogist I know says something similar. Since the advent of tablets and smartphones they recorded a large spike in near sightedness and other related issues, especially prevalent with teens.

I say 'stuff and nonsense'.
More like "since the advent of everybody having a electronic notepad with itty bitty text, people realize they couldn't see itty bitty text so good"

you mean when you close your eyes?

you mean when you close your eyes?

No, when your eyes are open, she said it resembles closing curtains, you pull both curtains inwards to close them and your vision in the affected eye would resemble that.

She said that the start of retinal detachment would be similar to that, your peripheral vision on both sides of the eye would start to move inwards so that you couldnt see as much of your peripheral view as before, hence being similar to slightly closing a pair of curtains, where once you could see the whole window but the more you close the curtains the less of the window sides that you are able to see.

Thats just how she explained it to me, probably easier to explain it in laymans terms than to get all technical n shit about it and confuse the patient.

Can this be an issue with looking at a computer screen all day? I work in a NOC, and when I'm at home I'm also usually on the computer. I don't really stare at my phone screen all that much and it's always short spurts so not too worried about the phone part.

Got my glasses around fifth grade, just before i got into computers. Haven't been back to the optomologist since (i just kept replacing the frame when my eyeglasses break). Was heavy into computers in high school, graduated in BSCS, and worked as a database programmer and flash developer for several years. I finally went back when the scratches got too much and the the doctor compared my records and said my eyes had barely changed. That's after well over a decade of staring at the monitor for hours every day. I'm also a bookworm (medieval fantasy and scifi, fyi) so i read in the dark a lot (both paper books and tablets) as well.

If you were to go with all the things they kept saying as i was growing up, i should be blind right now.

Says the guy with the name melteye? ;)

Anyways, yeah sure it has nothing to do with the levels of pollution in the air, water, ground, food, etc.

I just noticed you mentioned my name. Long ago when I was an early [H] dweller I was blinded for about a day when a capacitor blew up quite near my face. My forum name was apt then as well! Thankfully my eyes suffered no permanent damage (still perfect vision, despite of my excessive computer use). :D

Back