Bungie: Destiny “Same Game” On Current And Last Gen Consoles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news for those of you that are sticking with last-gen consoles, Bungie says that Destiny will be the "same game" on all consoles. Not sure if current-gen console owners are going to be as thrilled.

There’s little doubt that Destiny will look drastically different on next-gen than it will on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but Bungie producer Pete Parsons promises it’s the same game regardless of platform choice. They key lies in the studio’s “ambitious technologies” hosted on their server infrastructure.

Current-gen owner
Not thrilled at all. I'm really getting tired of these cross-generation titles that are still being made. The difference between having 512MB of memory available and 8GB is huge. They have had to make compromises in their overall design to get it to run on last-gen. So my anticipation for this game has gone down quite a bit. In all fairness, though, this title has been in development for what, 5 years? So I guess I can forgive them this time.

I didn't really expect it to be different anyways. When they first started making it five years ago, it was obviously built for last gen consoles, and current gen consoles have been worked in.

Have there been any only next-gen games?

Seems like every one is for both, which makes owning a new generation console quite unappealing. They kidna fucked up this generation swap IMO.

Have there been any only next-gen games?

Seems like every one is for both, which makes owning a new generation console quite unappealing. They kidna fucked up this generation swap IMO.
Off the top of my head there are:

Knack
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Forza Motorsport 5
Resogun
Infamous: Second Son
Dead Rising 3
Ryse: Son of Rome
Killer Instinct

If Microsoft and Sony could they would force all developers to release games only on the new consoles. This is why they carry on for years after a newer console is released (up to 3 years old consoles can still get new titles). In this case, that may not be a bad thing. The newer consoles are pretty embarrassing spec wise even being far more powerful than the previous generation, they don't really show it.

Neither Sony or Microsoft have any solid games that show off the new hardware to a level that Gears of War did when it dropped for the 360.

Knack
Forza Motorsport 5
Resogun
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct

Are all those exclusives? Or is their marketing budget just smaller?

Half a billion dollars on development and marketing still has me worried. Hopefully they see it as an investment in kicking the franchise off and making it well known, something that will pay off overtime rather than "sell 56 million copies or you're out and we're cutting the ten year contract".

Knack
Forza Motorsport 5
Resogun
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct

The Xbox One games are decent, but still nothing to really justify the purchase of the One (for me). The graphics upgrade is nice, but still nothing to really make people say "I HAVE to have the PS4/XBox One for this game". The Killer Game just hasn't been released yet. That one game that makes people buy the system - just for that single game, the others are an added bonus.

Destiny looks good, but if I get the same game (with lesser, but not bad, graphics) on a much cheaper system, there is little reason to buy the newer system.

I bought the Xbox One for Titanfall, and I am happy with my purchase, but it's not much different than the 360 version. Neither is Ghosts or BF4. Fun games, of course, but little justification for owning the console....

PR talk. This game will be a disaster if the new consoles don't have faster loading times, better graphics, and more features in the long run.

If they are talking about gameplay...isn't this almost always the case, like 99% of the time anyway? Most of the time the graphics are just worse.

I am semi excited for this game, but most likely I will just get the 360 version. I lost interest in the PS4/XBone when I found out my year old laptop has more processing power than the new consoles (I7 quad with 650m), much less my three-ish year old desktop having practically 2x the power. They really need to hurry and release a PC port that at minimum has the graphics fidelity of the new systems, but the ability to do 1080p at higher fps with AA and AF on.

huh what? He's saying he was justified when he bought his Xbone...

In one breath he said there is nothing to justify an Xbox One purchase, and in the next he said he bought it for Titanfall and was pleased with the purchase...

Contradictory information there.

Bungie is a joke now. They can't tell an engaging story and regurgitate and same gameplay again and again. Hell, they can't even make melee animations that don't look like trash. And they fired their most valuable team member.

Petty sure they mean game play and not the graphic.

which is precisely the problem.

the gameplay is restricted to what the hardware of last gen is capable of which means smaller and less detailed levels, more loading between areas and a complete lack of ingenuity when it comes to being able to make full use of more ram.

less enemies on the screen at one time yadda yadda all things that prev. gen games hinder next gen games.

I like it, while it won't affect me personally I'm tired of some console exclusive titles that if you never played it you never will on a future console.

The Killer Game just hasn't been released yet. That one game that makes people buy the system - just for that single game, the others are an added bonus.

In order to have a killer game for a console you first have to have a killer game that is designed for a PC by a PC developer and then buy the developer and then cut the title down to a point where it is playable experience on your new console. I thought Microsoft learned this the first time around.

Yes, I am still pissed they fucked up Halo which of course is still fucked up from what it would have been on the PC.

In one breath he said there is nothing to justify an Xbox One purchase, and in the next he said he bought it for Titanfall and was pleased with the purchase...

Contradictory information there.

The ones listed weren't enough. Titanfall did it, but the release on the 360 kind of killed it. I could have just got that version... So, it was a big contradictory.

I am glad I bought it, but nothing really available that says "BUY THE ONE!". It's fun, but it's nothing special and I could have done without. So, I'd probably sum it up by - the games aren't what makes it special. I'd have been just as happy with the 360 versions. But, I figured why not? I'd rather have a good library of One games in 6 months instead of a lot of 360 games that are on both systems and have to rebuy them...

The Xbox One games are decent, but still nothing to really justify the purchase of the One (for me). The graphics upgrade is nice, but still nothing to really make people say "I HAVE to have the PS4/XBox One for this game". The Killer Game just hasn't been released yet. That one game that makes people buy the system - just for that single game, the others are an added bonus.

Destiny looks good, but if I get the same game (with lesser, but not bad, graphics) on a much cheaper system, there is little reason to buy the newer system.

I bought the Xbox One for Titanfall, and I am happy with my purchase, but it's not much different than the 360 version. Neither is Ghosts or BF4. Fun games, of course, but little justification for owning the console....

Look at mario cart 8 and the wii u till their is a killer game the next gen consoles will be a wasteland of cross ported crap

Exactly as it should be. There has been great games for 25 years, each gen just makes the GFX better.

Should've made a PC version if its just the same game with better graphics. At least we might see real 1080p/60fps.

Back