Intel Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation - Intel is presenting its new Devil's Canyon processors today at Computex in Taiwan. Enthusiasts get a two new processor solutions, one with HyperThreading and one without. While many of us are familiar with processor core clocks of 4GHz+, this is first time we have Intel serving up a minimum 4GHz clock up to 4.4GHz Turbo Frequency on its flagship.

1401752020S1ZfWBGnjt_1_12.jpg

Last edited:
With a base clock of 4GHz on the i7, and 4.4GHz turbo (finally confirmed!) I'm expecting to see some decent clocks close to, or over 5GHz, hopefully at a reasonable voltage that doesn't end up running hotter than the surface of the sun.

I have the money ready to spend... I'm just waiting for Intel to give me a CPU worthy of upgrading to, and that's actually fun to overclock again. Please let this be that CPU.

Man with the spec's being thrown around for this thing I'd be pretty interested in swapping out my 4770K to mess with one.

If I can find a stable 5GHz, you can bet I will look at putting a 4790K in my box.

Is the currently available 4790 the reject, for want of a better term, parts that didn't make the Devil branded bins? Curious if 4790's have the improved NGPTIM setup..???

Even stock, the DCs will be around 10% faster, seemingly better thermals(less volts?)...and the Z97 boards, from your own review do better than Z87 @similar volts..so.....which motherboard??!!!

Last edited:
Is the currently available 4790 the reject, for want of a better term, parts that didn't make the Devil branded bins? Curious if 4790's have the improved NGPTIM setup..???

I have had one here for a while now. No, and no.

I'm looking forward to some OC tests.

Altrough with rumors that socket 2011 6-core might start at pricing similar to 4790K it makes more sense to wait for that.

My concern is temps, temps, temps.

First reviews are saying the 4970k runs around 10 degrees hotter than the 4770k. I would very much like to throw a 4970k in my Z87 mini-ITX build (now that Asus has confirmed DC support for the Maximus line) but I'm running on air and things are borderline as they are.

Man I'm excited about these. Can't wait to see the review.

First reviews are saying the 4970k runs around 10 degrees hotter than the 4770k. I would very much like to throw a 4970k in my Z87 mini-ITX build (now that Asus has confirmed DC support for the Maximus line) but I'm running on air and things are borderline as they are.

What reviews? They haven't even shipped samples yet.

I already bought a i5 DC from ShopBLT for 242.87 on 5/27/2014 so Im just waiting.:D

Nice, looks like a good replacement for my 3770k box. Looking forward to seeing temps and reviews. I hope Microcenter has a good deal on them.

This may be the year for a big upgrade finally :) I'm still running what you see in my sig, to say it is long in the tooth is an understatement.

Hope it will not use that cheap CPU di-led that was used in IB and previous haswell CPUs? Will this result in reduction of price of 4770k?

Same, and same.. but with a 4790k :p

you guys have any plans to test on both z87 and z97 for comparison's sake?

+1

kyle

do you have a 4790k in route to you? can we expect to buy one soon?

Maybe one of you know the answer right away... I currently run Z68 with i5-2500K (read below).
I'm thinking of Z97 with i5-4690K but then I'm thinking I may not notice a huge difference in perf.
I know it all depends of what I do and my lifestyle now is that I play a game or two a few hours in the evening.

It's weird as I remember when I was building my previous build I was aware of every details like best memory (cost/perf) to get and such but today I feel like I'm starting from scratch and I'm almost lost. I don't yet know what DDR3 speed I should look at. I guess my current 1866MHz will work but how high I could go and will it makes a difference, I don't know.

I think this message is my 1st step in a process of getting into analyzing everything again and see if I should spend some money to update or wait for next chipset. The fact is my current setup still works very well so I'm mostly tempted to upgrade to get new toys. It's about time I switch so SSD and was thinking of m.2, present on the GENE-VII.

Maybe one of you know the answer right away... I currently run Z68 with i5-2500K (read below).
I'm thinking of Z97 with i5-4690K but then I'm thinking I may not notice a huge difference in perf.
I know it all depends of what I do and my lifestyle now is that I play a game or two a few hours in the evening.

It's weird as I remember when I was building my previous build I was aware of every details like best memory (cost/perf) to get and such but today I feel like I'm starting from scratch and I'm almost lost. I don't yet know what DDR3 speed I should look at. I guess my current 1866MHz will work but how high I could go and will it makes a difference, I don't know.

I think this message is my 1st step in a process of getting into analyzing everything again and see if I should spend some money to update or wait for next chipset. The fact is my current setup still works very well so I'm mostly tempted to upgrade to get new toys. It's about time I switch so SSD and was thinking of m.2, present on the GENE-VII.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've been running my 2500k since day one. Up until now, I've really not seen (and frankly am still trying to justify) any reason to upgrade. At 4.4ghz my trusty 2500k still keeps up.

Was looking at Hexus data, I hope Kyle will include the i5-2500K in comparison table.

Why are the new chipsets only doing PCIe 2.0? D:

This was my first thought as well. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Another thing.. adding caps to smooth out power delivery is nothing new. Back in the Super Socket 7 days, there was a company that made an add-on card that was first installed on the processor before the processor was installed in the socket.

It was fairly cheap at the time, and I actually bought one in search of a few extra Mhz with my K6-2 processor. It did seem to help a little.

As for the pics of the "old" version of the processors, it looks like Intel was planning this little "upgrade" from the get-go. Way to milk their customers for more money.

Their highlights of better TIM and added capacitors as the main improvements makes me laugh... seriously???

The last time I got over 5Ghz was on my Sandy Bridge 2600k. 5.2Ghz to be percise.....Even with IPC improvements I never really saw the 3770k at 4.8Ghz even compete with the 2600k at 5.2Ghz, and I avoided the Haswell refresh due to the shite overclocking, 4.4-4.6Ghz being max on Air. If I see DC i7/i5's hit 5.2Ghz, or even 6Ghz..I'll be very impressed.

I'm actually interested in seeing if the Pentium-K part can run at 6Ghz, and if it does, can a Dual-Core Haswell at 6Ghz beat a quad-core Haswell at 3Ghz?

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've been running my 2500k since day one. Up until now, I've really not seen (and frankly am still trying to justify) any reason to upgrade. At 4.4ghz my trusty 2500k still keeps up.

Ditto. I'm still rocking a i7-950 @ 4GHz. It noticeably suffers in some of the newer CPU-dependant games (frames aren't as high as they should be) but it does the job well otherwise. It is a big of a power hog though.

Thanks for the update!

Quick questions for anyone who knows off the top of their head:
- We are looking to build new systems here soon. Is this Intel Update a refresh or are we expecting a new architecture in the next 6 months?
- Our two computers are currently running an i5-2500k and an i7-920.
- Big enough step to upgrade? I've not yet been excited about a leap in performance (2x).

Thank you in advance!

Thanks for the update!

Quick questions for anyone who knows off the top of their head:
- We are looking to build new systems here soon. Is this Intel Update a refresh or are we expecting a new architecture in the next 6 months?
- Our two computers are currently running an i5-2500k and an i7-920.
- Big enough step to upgrade? I've not yet been excited about a leap in performance (2x).

Thank you in advance!

I just upgraded from a I7-920 to a i7-4790 and I was getting between 40-60 fps with the new wolfenstein game, and now the new 4790 i get a constant 60 fps and feels much smoother.

I'm very happy with my delidded 4770k and Asus Z87 Hero. However, I couldn't resist buying a new Phanteks Enthoo Primo White when it came out, even though I have the black case. As a result, I'm planning on building a second rig starring the 4790K CPU and Asus Z97 Pro mobo. I'm an airhead so I'm very curious about overclocking temps. My 4770K is OC'd to 4.2 with a Phanteks TC-14PE cooler, so I thought I'd try a new Noctua NH-DH15 with the same OC for the 4790K. Depending on reviews, I might try 4.4 or 4.5 on the 4790K. Intel says the TIM is better, but is NOT solder, so based on reviews and forum posts, I may or may not delid.

I will also take a very good look at Broadwell and the Haswell-E eight core CPU.

It doesn't say "soldered", just "better" thermal paste.

And what does "DC support" mean?

I'd be curious to see in testing if the z97 platform has any effect on the final clock on the new chips, you guys have any plans to test on both z87 and z97 for comparison's sake?

Probably not initially. Going to be time dependent.

Huh? I would like to see a link, but I can almost assure you that at like clocks and voltages the answer is no from what I have been told.

Nice, looks like a good replacement for my 3770k box. Looking forward to seeing temps and reviews. I hope Microcenter has a good deal on them.

Exackery.

That was a waste of time....

kyle

do you have a 4790k in route to you? can we expect to buy one soon?

I was told by Intel late last night that it hopes to start shipping ES this week "hopefully."

I think Intel is taking its time in finding "perfect" silicon for the 4790K parts. To herald this as enthusiast CPU and then it be somewhat disappointing would be a marketing nightmare for the company. It does not want that.

Microcenter has pre-orders up for a July 4th pickup.

Anniversary is $59
One other is $239
and the 4790K is $279

Why was it a waste of time if you will also get an ES just like them?

Also, do you plan on including a i5-2500K for comparison?

See above post.

I am not sure. Here is the deal on adding a bunch of CPUs and motherboards to an article like that. Every addition gives exponential workload.

In all honesty, I think everyone here knows the IPC increases from SB to IB to Haswell, right? It ain't rocket science. The jump to a DC will be because you can OC the shit out of it.

On all the current 4770K retail parts I have bought, and I think I have purchased 4 since release, I can run all at 4.5GHz/1866. The DC is the same IPC as 4770K, DC is all about the OC.

I did just read a mail from an person inside the industry that suggested DC being "late" is because it may not be as great a product as was initially intended. This is just rumor and speculation, but we should start seeing numbers by early next week hopefully.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz .... the only clear upgrade path for me in the 8 core / 16 tread with quad channel DDR4 @ 2133.

I have a 4770k at 4.5Ghz .... the only clear upgrade path for me in the 8 core / 16 tread with quad channel DDR4 @ 2133.

the same apply for us with 3770k too.. im just waiting for that.

Back