Disney Cancels Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Game

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Red Leader is standing by no more. Another consequence of Disney’s acquisition of all things Star Wars is the announcement that the development and testing of the new Star Wars: Attack Squadron combat game has been scrapped.

By all accounts that game was so awful it is a good thing it got scrapped before being released. A rare act of sanity it is, not releasing your terrible half-broken shoddy work.

You can fault Disney for many things but they are very protective of their brands ... if they cancelled it then it would not have been a worthy addition to the SW franchise ... Disney likes games and game revenues so I am sure we will see some quality SW game offerings in the future (especially to tie in with the release of the new movies)

You also have to understand that the large companies are moving toward mobile games and the freemium pay model.

They spend a fraction of the time and money and reap in just as much money as they would spending the two - three years to make one of these PC games.

Even many of Blizzards in-house Devs said this was the direction they thought Blizzard would end up going. That it just made better money sense in the long run.

Yup. Disney is more protective of their brands than Lucas in some regards, primarily with the quality of product released to the public, unlike Lucas who was more concerned with adding his personal touch to things instead of trying to produce what fans would be willing to buy.

Honestly, looking at videos of gameplay it looked boring. It was just a bland browser based game that was likely going to end up with a pay2win upgrade shop built in. Did we really need yet another one of those? I'm saying that as a guy who actually wants to see more space combat games.

I did the beta test, and the game was garbage, and pay to win besides. They were wise to scrap it.

I will never see a sequel to X-Wing: Alliance or Tie Fighter. I would be happy with the exact same thing with updated graphics.

I will never see a sequel to X-Wing: Alliance or Tie Fighter. I would be happy with the exact same thing with updated graphics.

Hell yeah. They released an updated "3D accelerated version" around 1999 I think using an updated XvT engine. I would be happy with the same thing with modern graphics.

I am kind of surprised the user community hasn't taken it upon themselves to do that. I know they did alot with Xwing Alliance but that was probably my least favorite Xwing game.

Any of the original classics: X-Wing, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Tie Fighter, and Alliance. Full blown remakes with a completely new game engine and flight dynamics. I would buy every one of them.

Any of the original classics: X-Wing, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Tie Fighter, and Alliance. Full blown remakes with a completely new game engine and flight dynamics. I would buy every one of them.

Same here.

For whatever reason studios see the need to fuck things up by changing GUIs and systems that worked perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, if they were released today the game would be full price with only one ship and 1/3 of the missions. The rest of the ships would be $5 each, with the missions sold as 2 separate "expansions" that cost $20 each.

I did the beta test, and the game was garbage, and pay to win besides. They were wise to scrap it.

I too was in the beta and thought the same. I'm not sad to hear it's been canceled in the slightest!

i am not sure why the news post made it sound like a bad thing, and that it was because the tyrant disney was to blame, if anything we should be cheering for disney because they actually noticed it was crap and they chose to not release a crappy product.

should change the news title to something more positive about disney doing something good for a change

Seriously, how many awful games with a Star Wars skin have there been sold to blind movie fans anyhow? I'm sort of sad that Disney bought and is keeping alive the whole Star Wars thing because, honestly, it was an awful set of 6 movies following some of the most poorly written books ever published, but maybe the nice people at Disney can salvage it and make it less lame-dumb-bad than it was when before they bought it. If nothing else, Disney knows better how to milk the money cow of crazy fans and then take the entire thing out behind a barn to shoot it in the head before it turns into a zombie husk. (Well, except Mickey Mouse...that thing needed to die like 30 years ago and they refuse to let it go...Peter Pan's stuff too...the fairy thing...ugh...they're like Bratz dolls...)

Seriously, how many awful games with a Star Wars skin have there been sold to blind movie fans anyhow? I'm sort of sad that Disney bought and is keeping alive the whole Star Wars thing because, honestly, it was an awful set of 6 movies following some of the most poorly written books ever published, but maybe the nice people at Disney can salvage it and make it less lame-dumb-bad than it was when before they bought it. If nothing else, Disney knows better how to milk the money cow of crazy fans and then take the entire thing out behind a barn to shoot it in the head before it turns into a zombie husk. (Well, except Mickey Mouse...that thing needed to die like 30 years ago and they refuse to let it go...Peter Pan's stuff too...the fairy thing...ugh...they're like Bratz dolls...)

Blasphemer ... Satan I cast thee out :p

I'm sort of sad that Disney bought and is keeping alive the whole Star Wars thing because, honestly, it was an awful set of 6 movies following some of the most poorly written books ever published

I agree, that the expanded universe books weren't exactly that great, since everyone was so worried about stepping on George Lucas' toes.

I did like the original trilogy, though, with the first two movies being the best. That was back in the days, where a premium was placed on one's ability to act first, and then they'd "pretty" you up. These days, it's the reverse.

The Clone Wars series started out slowly, but then started getting really good, and then they shut it down.

Well, except Mickey Mouse...that thing needed to die like 30 years ago and they refuse to let it go...Peter Pan's stuff too...the fairy thing...ugh...they're like Bratz dolls...)

They'll never lose the corporate symbol. You'd have a greater chance of seeing McDonald's get rid of that silly clown as their corporate symbol, than you would Disney losing Mickey Mouse.

After that horrible trailer, I'm glad they cancelled it. It probably would have been a horrible game with these people behind it.

I signed up for the beta and they didn't even have the webpage working where you could download the client. If they couldn't get a web page right it's a good thing they canceled the game.

Back