Next Generation 10Gbps WiFi at 5GHz Successfully Tested

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You say you want even faster WiFi? Well then, how about 10.53Gbps on the 5GHz band. That speed was accomplished by Huawei in their lab facility and expect that 10Gbps will be commercially available by 2018.

The firm now believes that ultrafast Wi-Fi could become commercially available from 2018, pending all the usual agreements.

10gbps wireless routers will have 100m Ethernet ports, and be connected to 5mbps internet connections. (I'm not bitter)

My observations: the next gen Wi-Fi delivers on the last gen promises...so this'll do 1gbps. But all the retail boxes will contain outlandish claims that users will never experience.

Commercially available. Probably enterprise first for a lot more, then it will trickle down to the consumer level by 2020.

So, by 2018, we should at least have 10Gb consumer level - AFFORDABLE - routers and switches along with NIC's to support them.

It's nice how wireless keeps on improving. I like it. It may not hit the advertised level, but it's better than the previous generation. I hate using 802.11G devices, it's extremely slow compared to N or AC (very limited exposure to AC, though). I still have a B device somewhere, too. Painful. It's about as bad as using a 10Mb hub to do a transfer. Go from that to Gb and it's a huge difference.

It won't meet the box with the outlandish claim, but it will be faster than the AC that's just gaining ground.

Most AC routers are cat 5e or 6 or gigabit so 128megabyte throughput. so a tenth of of the speed of the wireless in 2018. I'm not worried they stopped at gigabit switches because the time it takes to go down the layers and back up them slows everything down anyway.

10gbps wireless routers will have 100m Ethernet ports, and be connected to 5mbps internet connections. (I'm not bitter)
Don't worry. 10Gbps is raw symbol rate. It will be half duplex, so roughly 6Gbps, it will have overhead, cut down to 3Gbps, you will share with 6 other people, so 500Mbps, and you will be 30 feet away and be poor a signal, so 100Mbps. Matches ethernet perfectly. Technology is wonderful :D

Don't worry. 10Gbps is raw symbol rate. It will be half duplex, so roughly 6Gbps, it will have overhead, cut down to 3Gbps, you will share with 6 other people, so 500Mbps, and you will be 30 feet away and be poor a signal, so 100Mbps. Matches ethernet perfectly. Technology is wonderful :D

Bingo :D, well to be honest 100mbps@30ft would be acceptable to me, will have to wait for that 100gbps wifi then for other stuff :D

If they can get to the point where wi-fi is as fast as 100baseT, I'll be happy.

This is nice, but honestly I don't understand why new home constructions don't have an ethernet/IR port on every AC outlet. This is 2014 and hardly any rooms are wired w/ CAT6 which is retarded.

This is nice, but honestly I don't understand why new home constructions don't have an ethernet/IR port on every AC outlet. This is 2014 and hardly any rooms are wired w/ CAT6 which is retarded.

Yea we got lucky in our home and every room was wired for a home phone... using cat 5. I just yanked out the plates and terminated it. Good to go.

This will be half duplex, so like 6 GBPS. Then it's going to have to deal with interference and range. Then it's in the 5 GHZ spectrum, so the penetration of obstacles sucks. Add in shared users. You'll be lucky to hit 200 Mbps.

Thanks, but I'll keep the gigabit Ethernet I pulled through my house.
  • It won't cost me an arm and a leg to upgrade my equipment. The wireless N AP I have is more than sufficient for cellphones and tablets.
  • Since everything runs through a switch it's dedicated bandwidth to each interface.
  • It's more secure since I am not broadcasting an access point into my home network (my current WiFi AP is on a separate network from the wired network).
  • I'll list cost twice just because... $110 in wire and parts (LV brackets, keystones, and wall plates) plus an afternoon to pull 14 ports in my house, now I don't need to upgrade major network components for at least a decade if I don't sell.
  • Minor item, but gigabit Ethernet in the whole house is a perk for a buyer of the house in the future if I do sell. For sure it's not a gigantic feature that will add a ton of value but it will add more value that a wireless router I take with me.

Because most people use wireless who don't know any better..

This will be half duplex, so like 6 GBPS. Then it's going to have to deal with interference and range. Then it's in the 5 GHZ spectrum, so the penetration of obstacles sucks. Add in shared users. You'll be lucky to hit 200 Mbps.

Thanks, but I'll keep the gigabit Ethernet I pulled through my house.

Try reading the thread... beat you to it...

Because most people use wireless who don't know any better..
Nothing wrong with that, but makes it a hell of a lot easier to have two or three wireless APs in your home so you always have max signal as you go downstairs and corner to corner in your house. I have three myself, works great for my wireless cameras/laptop/phone/etc.

With an actual wireless throughput of 200mbps that has worse delay and jitter than 10mbps half-duplex ethernet (I'm not bitter either).

I am actually very excited for this technology to be coming. Hopefully as another poster pointed out, the ODM for access points doesn't make the age old mistake of throwing a 100mbit LAN port on their designs. I also hope that if we get this much available bandwidth via wireless, there will be a push for inexpensive 10gbE and similar technologies that get widespread non-enterprise adoption because of it. I had originally thought something like Thunderbolt would pave the way, but I have not seen it used much over regular gbE and USB in day to day life.

I wonder what type of beam forming nonsense will have to be implemented to keep latency at bay -- after all, we are talking about a LOT of spread at 5GHz for that kind of payload. Most if not all current iteration 802.11 uses scheduling rather than preemption and almost every person in IT having to deploy large networks as such understands what a bear that can be when you load an AP full of users. After all, the more users, the more latency by accident of design. Once you start tasking hand-off for 6gbit, I shudder to think about the real limit per deployed AP in a mesh.

Back