Avast Support Forum Hacked, Information Stolen in Breach

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Physician, heal thyself. In what could be considered a very embarrassing turn of events, Avast, a security firm known world-wide, has been hacked exposing personal information for over 400K users.

How the attacker breached the forum is not yet known. However, we do believe that the attack just occurred and we detected it essentially immediately.

"we detected it essentially immediately" yet we still lost over 400K users info.
They are proud of that?

"we detected it essentially immediately" yet we still lost over 400K users info.
They are proud of that?

Isn't that how most antiviruses work also, they detect you have a virus right after the virus has already pwned your system and disabled the antivirus. Then you have a useful piece of informational software that keeps telling you're infected, repeatedly lol.

Heh.
Its not irrational for them to detect the attack after it happens, my main point is this.
If they detected it immediately and lost over 400K accounts info, what would happen of they didnt detect an attack immediately?
Just how safe is any information in their hands?

guys this was the support forum not like it was the registered users database...

guys this was the support forum not like it was the registered users database...

The attackers got a lot of data: Users of Avast, if they know a weakness in Avast they now know who to target. User names and passwords - many people recycle them from other sites so breaking one site can often lead into breaking some other site or log in the users paypal for example.

The attackers got a lot of data: Users of Avast, if they know a weakness in Avast they now know who to target. User names and passwords - many people recycle them from other sites so breaking one site can often lead into breaking some other site or log in the users paypal for example.

but only if they signed up for the forum...

but only if they signed up for the forum...

It's not uncommon in this kind of cases that they now know the user forums got breached. Later on commonly comes a notification that 'oops' we lost our paid subscriber data too, once the information gets sold forward and gets exploited.

At least they let people know right away, unlike Ebay that told folks 2 weeks after the fact or these other major ones who find out 2 months later that a major leak happened.

probably an inside job.

Sucks mostly for people who reuse passwords. I'm glad I use a password manager with random password generator. But, OTOH, that creates one heck of a honeypot, if it ever is compromised I'm so screwed.

Jeez, getting tired of this crap. Guess I'll change my e-mail address too while I'm at it.

Back