Getting more FPS with "Large Pages" tweak?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
A number of people are reporting decent gains with this Windows tweak for setting a program to use "Large pages".

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389072

Is there any legitimacy behind this?

I ask because it seems that, more often than not, tweaks are nothing more than placebos, and sometimes even downright detrimental to systems or performance. Curious if anyone has any deeper knowledge on whether eking out some more FPS from this is feasible.

I think if you have RAM to spare (8gb+) sure, go for it. In games with heavy CPU usage, I could see this as a plus. Games with tons of thrashing like Skyrim, GTA, hell, even the new Watch Dogs may Benefit.

I'll be interested in this when my new build starts to pick up... that is whenever x99 drops from intel

Good read of a thread... I'm doing some testing of Elder Scrolls Online, initial results seem positive but will do some scientific testing tomorrow.

watch dogs seems noticeably smoother. not totally sure. it definitely didn't make it any worse like someone said it did.

Tried this in ArmA 3. Did not see any FPS gain but it may have been smoother (subjectively). Also, if your machine has been on for awhile it will typically default back to small pages due to RAM fragmentation. Not sure if there is any way to fix other than a reboot.

Back