Crooks Selling Steam Data For $15

HardOCP News

[H] News
Fifteen bucks sure seems pretty damn cheap for a data dump containing Steam accounts with user names and passwords.

A report published in the Guardian newspaper claims that its reporters have seen criminals advertising Steam data for sale on a Russian dark web forum; a full log of all data stolen by botnet - probably including usernames and passwords - goes for just $15. Steam has become a very high value target, because it's so easily bought and sold. The best part? Some of you are cooperating, willingly or otherwise.

Not surprised I had my Origin Account hacked by some twat in russia and he got me banned on a bunch of my favourite BF3 servers because the loser had to go into the servers with hacks to play because he sucked at the game.

I appealed the Ban at PBbans.com cause there is clear evidence showing the IP was from russia and those pricks told me to go buy a new game so I told them to F*** off. But I actually got good support from EA and gave me a new copy of BF3 since the previous Guid was on the master ban list and they wouldn't remove it.

Steam uses 2-level verification so it would only work for people who use the same username for their email address and Steam account AND use the same password for said accounts.

A lot of people probably don't consider that though so they're screwed.

Which is actually three step verification for people like me.

Steam Account->Email->Phone

That means you need to hack my Steam account, then hack my email address, and then steal my phone from me.

Good luck, mate.

"Dark web" forum, LOL. I love these dumb terms they come up with to dazzle laymen. Sounds like something out of an episode of 24. "I got the IP mac from a hacker on the dark web. I'm uploading it now. 5% complete. 6% complete. This is going really slow I'm trying to speed it up."

1. The "report" is sensationalized.
2. Valve doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

Valve does negotiate with terrorists, after all, they sell Ubisoft games.
Have you ever had to use Uplay?
Eeesh.
Its enough to make you want to strap on a bomb and drive into an embassy!:eek:

Valve does negotiate with terrorists, after all, they sell Ubisoft games.
Have you ever had to use Uplay?
Eeesh.
Its enough to make you want to strap on a bomb and drive into an embassy!:eek:

Touche' -- Ubisoft has yet to demonstrate a value in the extraneous game launcher they've created. And right now its just redundant and a nuisance.

Which is actually three step verification for people like me.

Steam Account->Email->Phone

That means you need to hack my Steam account, then hack my email address, and then steal my phone from me.

Good luck, mate.

Same setup here.
Everything has a different password.
God its a pain in the ass memorizing all of those.

"Dark web" forum, LOL. I love these dumb terms they come up with to dazzle laymen. Sounds like something out of an episode of 24. "I got the IP mac from a hacker on the dark web. I'm uploading it now. 5% complete. 6% complete. This is going really slow I'm trying to speed it up."

You are aware that there is an actual "dark web".....

The problem with steam...if your account is found on a hackers list, instead of resetting the account and contacting you to verify/change passwords, they send you a notice that YOUR account is permanently disabled and then accuse YOU of being a hacker.

Happened to me a few years ago and I had to get the BBB involved and darn near started a class action suit against them once the BBB figured out how many people they 'deactivated'. Didn't take long before valve figured out they cannot legally deny people access to purchased products simply because of security vulnerabilities in their own servers and they subsequently restored at least my account.

Who wants to bet they try it again?

The problem with steam...if your account is found on a hackers list, instead of resetting the account and contacting you to verify/change passwords, they send you a notice that YOUR account is permanently disabled and then accuse YOU of being a hacker.

Happened to me a few years ago and I had to get the BBB involved and darn near started a class action suit against them once the BBB figured out how many people they 'deactivated'. Didn't take long before valve figured out they cannot legally deny people access to purchased products simply because of security vulnerabilities in their own servers and they subsequently restored at least my account.

That's atrocious. Any articles or threads referencing this? And why would Steam be worried about the BBB, out of curiosity?

Uh huh... :rolleyes:

You don't even know what a class action suit is do you?

Is BBB your brother?

Back