Steve Ballmer Agrees To Buy Clippers For $2B

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's nice to see Steve Ballmer follow in Bill Gates' footsteps by spending his fortune helping people that need it most. What's that you say? He bought a basketball team for $2 billion? I guess that's kinda the same thing. ;)

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has signed a binding agreement to buy the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion from the Sterling family trust, a source familiar with the situation told CNN on Thursday night.

Black people, black people, black people, black people. Black people, black people, black people, black people!

*scream* Come ooooon!!! Can't wait to see his fat ass pouring buckets of sweat as he stomps up and down the side court.

So sad when schmucks like this have the power to buy small countries, while smart people toil all day and night for them for their crumbs.

I'm looking forward to a rename of the team. I know we have the Redskins, Braves, Black Hawks, Indians...

Maybe something like the "White Power".

Is this their new mascot, or are they going to have to change him to black to keep a certain group happy?

Black people, black people, black people, black people. Black people, black people, black people, black people!

I hope this is your silly version of "blackvelopers, blackvelopers, blackvelopers".

I hope this is your silly version of "blackvelopers, blackvelopers, blackvelopers".

No, I just felt like randomly chanting "black people". I'm that racist, per your implication.

Back when they first were talking about forcing the sale of the LA Clippers, everyone was estimating the teams value at $700m........ why the hell would anyone throw a $2B bid in? Was the teams value just underestimated that bad?
Doesn't make sense to me.

And for jokes, Jon Stewart had a hilarious segment on his show a few nights back about a millionaire buying the clippers.....link below.....shitty quality, but still funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6ehjMmG3I

There will be a lot of chairs flying across the court.

So, who's ready to see this guy frolic, jump, dance, and scream up and down the Clippers court?

130823121452-02-steve-ballmer-horizontal-gallery.jpg

paul allen bought an NBA franchise? i thought he owned an NFL team, he owns an NBA as well?

He owns the Portland Trailblazers and he also owns a minority share of the Seattle
Sounders MLS team, which makes since considering they also play at Century Link Field with the SeaHawks.

Back when they first were talking about forcing the sale of the LA Clippers, everyone was estimating the teams value at $700m........ why the hell would anyone throw a $2B bid in? Was the teams value just underestimated that bad?

It is most likely an overbid to avoid any objections or a bidding war ... there were other potential buyers and this puts all of them out of contention ... the other owners won't object since the value of all their teams just increased with this sale price ... the family won't object since they are getting twice what the market value for the team likely would have been ... win, win, win :cool:

Am I the only one that feels like Sterling is being rewarded in this whole ordeal? He purchased the Clippers for $12.5 million, which adjusted for inflation is about $36 million. Sure he is loosing his team, but he is walking away with $2 Billion in cash! Not a bad investment at all.

Am I the only one that feels like Sterling is being rewarded in this whole ordeal? He purchased the Clippers for $12.5 million, which adjusted for inflation is about $36 million. Sure he is loosing his team, but he is walking away with $2 Billion in cash! Not a bad investment at all.

It is unclear how much cash he is walking away with ... he was declared mentally incompetent so that Shelly Sterling could approve the sale without his approval ... but it is what it is ... at least Donald Sterling is a footnote in history now and the NBA can move forward :)

It is unclear how much cash he is walking away with ... he was declared mentally incompetent so that Shelly Sterling could approve the sale without his approval ... but it is what it is ... at least Donald Sterling is a footnote in history now and the NBA can move forward :)

I still don't think it is right that the NBA can just strip an owner of their team over an illegally recorded phone conversation (I really hope he sues that gold digger bimbo too). Anyways, I am really hoping that Balmer is a snake in the grass and plans on moving them to Seattle. Probably not but a guy can hope.

Ok, maybe I'm just being a hard ass but, why is this worth fron page on a tech site?

I still don't think it is right that the NBA can just strip an owner of their team over an illegally recorded phone conversation (I really hope he sues that gold digger bimbo too). Anyways, I am really hoping that Balmer is a snake in the grass and plans on moving them to Seattle. Probably not but a guy can hope.

In theory he can't move the team without the NBA's approval (although Sterling did exactly that, which is probably why he had few friends in the NBA) ... it is the NBA's franchise to do with as they wish (they are a restricted monopoly, as are all professional sports teams, and enjoy certain privileges from that status) ... Sterling chose to buy into that club (with all their rules and restrictions) and now he has been forced out ... c'est la vie :cool:

Ok, maybe I'm just being a hard ass but, why is this worth fron page on a tech site?

Because it's Steve Ballmer buying the team and although he's no longer Microsoft's CEO the tech community has been following Ballmer for 2 decades now and this is pretty big news.

I still don't think it is right that the NBA can just strip an owner of their team over an illegally recorded phone conversation (I really hope he sues that gold digger bimbo too).

Hey man. It's 2014. My hurt feelings trump your property rights.

I actually think this could be a good fit for him IF he can keep his need to control things in check.

Unlike his time at Microsoft, he isn't there to keep reinventing the wheel. You have a given system, known constraints, no real growth potential except for sales (his specialty), and he can use technology to optimize many things. He's taking after an 80 year old guy, so there will lots of room for improvement.

This will be interesting to say the least.

In theory he can't move the team without the NBA's approval (although Sterling did exactly that, which is probably why he had few friends in the NBA) ... it is the NBA's franchise to do with as they wish (they are a restricted monopoly, as are all professional sports teams, and enjoy certain privileges from that status) ... Sterling chose to buy into that club (with all their rules and restrictions) and now he has been forced out ... c'est la vie :cool:

When they ban him from coming to an NBA game and he shows up to the building that he owns, who do they call to enforce the ban?

Ok.. I don't see the big deal. Paul Allen did it. Nintendo CEO was a major buyer (part of a group) that bought the Seattle Mariners. Hell, even Drew Carrey owned part of the Sounders for a while (not sure if he still does). With that much money, why not spend it on shit you enjoy? Not everyone can be out trying to save the world...

Personally, I'd create the biggest video game museum/arcade in the world. Far from saving the world, but dammit, I'd have shit tons of fun. :D That, and I'd own a nice .50 cal.

He made the entire NBA look bad so they censored him. Next time he'll learn to pay his bimbo off to stay quiet like everyone else does. :)

$2b was probably the smallest bill he had in his wallet at the time.

He made the entire NBA look bad so they censored him. Next time he'll learn to pay his bimbo off to stay quiet like everyone else does. :)

If you don't want black people coming to games, how can you be an NBA team owner? WHY would you want to be an NBA team owner? Sterling is getting the second highest price ever for a North American sports team and he's 82. He's no victim of anything but literally is own mouth and he's still profiting handsomely.

Because it's Steve Ballmer buying the team and although he's no longer Microsoft's CEO the tech community has been following Ballmer for 2 decades now and this is pretty big news.

The tech community has been following Ballmer? LMAO

If you don't want black people coming to games, how can you be an NBA team owner? WHY would you want to be an NBA team owner? Sterling is getting the second highest price ever for a North American sports team and he's 82. He's no victim of anything but literally is own mouth and he's still profiting handsomely.

When you have that much money, two billion or ten billion is just penis envy. For him owning a basketball team shows just how much power and money he has over others in his community. To be stripped of said power and influence demoralizes him. Getting two billion in compensation is like taking ice cream from a child and giving them a quarter return. They still crave the ice cream and will cry and whine for it for hours.

That's why stripping him of the team means so much to him. The natural progression is for him to buy something else big with the money to satisfy his desire to have something to laud over others. Since he is getting a divorce, that might not happen since he was deemed mentally incompetent yesterday. His wife is in charge of him and his money now.

In short, he's fucked.

When you have that much money, two billion or ten billion is just penis envy. For him owning a basketball team shows just how much power and money he has over others in his community. To be stripped of said power and influence demoralizes him. Getting two billion in compensation is like taking ice cream from a child and giving them a quarter return. They still crave the ice cream and will cry and whine for it for hours.

That's why stripping him of the team means so much to him. The natural progression is for him to buy something else big with the money to satisfy his desire to have something to laud over others. Since he is getting a divorce, that might not happen since he was deemed mentally incompetent yesterday. His wife is in charge of him and his money now.

In short, he's fucked.

so he will be that homeless dude on the street soon enough

HAHAHAHA +1 to that being hella funny.

paul allen bought an NBA franchise? i thought he owned an NFL team, he owns an NBA as well?

I think he owns the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks.

so he will be that homeless dude on the street soon enough

No, he's just going to be the old, rich, crazy guy who lost his NBA team to Ballmer. That's embarrassing enough for him and will make him the punchline for jokes when he's with his cronies. If you listen to his tapes you'd see that his social status within his billionaire friendship circles is all that matters to him. It's all about what others think of him. How much power he wields over them. He could care less if he has two billion, five billion, or ten billion in the bank if he doesn't have the flashy property to show for it.

with in 5 years the team will be moved to Seattle

My thoughts too, By the end of the decade. I think there is some kind of back-end deal going on here too between Silver and Balmer, with Seattle getting a team, Clippers or expansion. Balmer would a very good friend for an organization to have, his pockets are pretty deep, even after the purchase of the clippers.

2 billion for a third rate NBA team? No wonder Microsoft is such a mess. I could see paying that for a top NFL team,but pro basketball will never have that kind of drawing power the way it's run today.

Back